• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Ice Storm Threat January 30 - February 3, 2023 - Ice Ice Baby

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
A lot of places near the Memphis area already have enough freezing rain that's leading to small to some medium branches breaking from the weight..

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Last post. But SPC said a additional .5+ inches of freezing rain accretion could happen with this batch that's starting now for the Memphis area.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, would appreciate another tomorrow as I have much of my family living in Round Rock & Austin, near you.
It's been pretty quiet today but it did rain enough today in patches to add to the layer we already had. My daughter lives in Round Rock and it's been about the same there and everywhere around the Austin area. We made based more problems because we have a solid layer of ice, but the rain is supposed to be more concentrated around 3 o'clock this morning and intense and continue in intensity through tomorrow and tomorrow night without the temperature getting above freezing until Thursday.

Image 1-31-23 at 7.14 PM.jpeg
Tonight
Freezing rain likely, mainly after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 27. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible.
Wednesday
Freezing rain. High near 32. North wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.3 of an inch possible.
Wednesday Night
Freezing rain before midnight, then rain or freezing rain between midnight and 3am, then rain showers after 3am. Low around 30. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New ice accumulation of 0.1 to 0.2 of an inch possible.
Thursday
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. North northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Thursday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 32. North northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Y'all can keep it. My old friend the Appalachian Mountains has seemingly once again diverted the nastiness away and I'm enjoying a springlike day right now :cool:

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
About one clock last night it started raining moderately and kept on raining moderately most of the night. Result is we're having a dangerous amount of ice out there up to 1 inches in some places. I will see what I can find some more pictures from around Austin and Williamson county but here are a few from outside my back door. I can't get out very far, of course

IMG_0759.jpegIMG_0761.jpegIMG_0764.jpeg

We have Road and interstate closures everywhere

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Thankfully, this seems to be last deep freeze or significant winter weather chance for the deep south for the foreseeable future. May end up being more severe weather to end winter and start spring.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
In fact a close eye should be kept around the 7 day time frame....
But I digress I guess I could make a thread in a day or two when consistency is maintained if it isn't already. Day 5 timeframe may need eyes.

Back to the ice discussion :p

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Mesoscale Discussion 0125
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0530 PM CST Wed Feb 01 2023

Areas affected...portions of eastern North Texas...eastern
Oklahoma...and much of central Arkansas

Concerning...Freezing rain

Valid 012330Z - 020530Z

SUMMARY...Freezing rain should gradually expand in coverage and
intensity this evening. Moderate freezing rain with rates of 0.05+
in/hr will be possible beneath heavier banded structures.

DISCUSSION...As of 23:20 UTC, regional radar analysis showed a large
area of stratiform precipitation from roughly the DFW Metroplex,
gradually expanding northeastward across portions of eastern OK and
the ArkLaTex. Driven by low and mid-level warm advection centered
over portions of eastern TX, precipitation has encountered
increasingly dry mid-level air north of the Red River evident on
area RAP soundings. This has prevented more widespread/steady
moderate freezing rain from developing across portions of eastern OK
and AR so far. However, recent decreasing trends in surface dewpoint
depressions suggests saturation is becoming deep enough to sustain
moderate freezing rain at the surface. With continued warm advection
expected ahead of an upper low moving out of northern MX/southern TX
later this evening, precipitation should continue to spread
northeastward and intensify over the next several hours. Areas
farther north and east will be slower to saturate, but should fully
transition to steady freezing rain at the surface after 02-03z.

Hi-res guidance also depicts a favored corridor for locally greater
freezing rain rates across portions of southeastern OK into portions
of west-central AR later this evening. Located upstream of recent,
weakly convective showers over northeast TX, locally higher freezing
rain rates in excess of 0.05-0.1 in/hr will be possible tonight.
Given surface temperatures several degrees below the latest hi-res
guidance, significant icing impacts are possible with several hours
of persistent freezing precipitation.

..Lyons.. 02/01/2023

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
We've been lucky up in Leander/Liberty Hill. In spite of lots of ice we've been okay because most people have stayed home. The power and communication lines are iced to the breaking point but the wind hasn't played havoc so outside of limbs falling on lines we're not at catastrophic levels. There's a good amount of damage because the Live Oak trees keep their leaves until around March.

Here's a link with some videos for y'all.

KXAN ICE STORM

Videos and Photos

Fox 7 Austin

downed-trees-dripping-springs.jpg

It should all melt tomorrow in Austin Later here near the Hill Country.

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
How is it looking today @Austin Dawg ? Just got another round of photos from the folks and it looks like the tree sag is substantially worse this morning, lots of branches and limbs broken and whereas you could walk underneath the live oaks before, it's just a wall of frozen debris now.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Where I am is the door to the Hill Country with very few trees. Where my daughter lives in Round Rock at the eastern edge of Cedar Park there was a lot of tree damage. We live north of Austin proper but they had damage too. It's finally thawing today. I plan on looking for more links and pics to share the next couple of days but it looks like the ice is over and we can assess the damage.

Back