• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Winter Weather/Ice Storm Threat January 30 - February 3, 2023 - Ice Ice Baby

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
How's the weather in Arkansas and Memphis this afternoon haven't checked been so busy
We've got about half an inch of sleet on the ground here in NW Arkansas. Roads are not much of an issue, but we have more than one snow plow in the state... (looking at you Alabama). Just can't go like 90 mph and expect to stay upright (looking at you Texas drivers). Seriously though we are lucky so far, very little icing on the lines and trees. Hope it stays that way.

A few of our traffic cams...

1675118419887.png
cam.jpg
A few shots from the

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
We've got about half an inch of sleet on the ground here in NW Arkansas. Roads are not much of an issue, but we have more than one snow plow in the state... (looking at you Alabama). Just can't go like 90 mph and expect to stay upright (looking at you Texas drivers). Seriously though we are lucky so far, very little icing on the lines and trees. Hope it stays that way.

View attachment 17361
View attachment 17362
A few shots from the
Lol I imagine they salted the roads too; hopefully.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score

View attachment 17361
View attachment 17362
A few shots from the
Oof. The freezing rain is about to start coming down good here in a bit. The rainfall rates are nasty. If ground surfaces are at or near freezing.

Almost half a inch of freezing rain accumulation in portions of eastern Arkansas!

Winds gusting to around 20-25 mph tonight as well in that area.. probably have a decent bit of outages tonight. And this isn't mentioning the second wave tomorrow.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
00z hrrr has a crippling 1 inch of freezing rain in less than 48 hours over or near the Memphis area. With a tiny corridor of 1.25+ inches of accumulated freezing rain.... IMG_20230130_195817.jpg

Reaction score
00z CAMs have actually moved more towards the Canadian solution and shows more ice farther south. Has Oxford MS getting .30 inches of icing.

I'm going to be mind blown if the Canadian has been on to something this whole time.

Austin Dawg

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
We have a good covering of ice on everything and everything is still running except for schools, of course. The problem is this was supposed to end tomorrow morning and now it looks as if now the temperatures will stay below freezing until Thursday. That could eventually be a problem with the total amount of ice slowly accumulating. They've extended our Winter Storm Warning to include Wednesday because we are supposed to have more freezing rain and a wider coverage of freezing rain on Wednesday. It was originally going to eventually change over to rain in previous forecasts, but now they think it's going to freeze Wednesday day and night as well.

Image 1-31-23 at 10.33 AM.jpeg

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can confirm Thundersleet in Springdale, AR. *corrected.

Lightning detection is by far one of my favorite features of Tempest

1675187005278.png

Last edited:

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
We have a good covering of ice on everything and everything is still running except for schools, of course. The problem is this was supposed to end tomorrow morning and now it looks as if now the temperatures will stay below freezing until Thursday. That could eventually be a problem with the total amount of ice slowly accumulating. They've extended our Winter Storm Warning to include Wednesday because we are supposed to have more freezing rain and a wider coverage of freezing rain on Wednesday. It was originally going to eventually change over to rain in previous forecasts, but now they think it's going to freeze Wednesday day and night as well.

View attachment 17377
Thanks for the update, would appreciate another tomorrow as I have much of my family living in Round Rock & Austin, near you.

JPWX

Reaction score
It appears the Canadian solution is verifying as the freezing rain is getting further south. I've noticed too that Lee County up to Tishomingo is now under a Winter Weather Advisory.

Back