• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Wait... you are sheltering where?

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Lol I guess that person isn't claustrophobic. I'd be afraid of wind or debris turning that bad boy on tumble dry

KoD

Staff member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to think maybe Oklahoma has the silliest town names..
Dill City
Corn
Mangum
Kaw City
Fort Coffee

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
So... the old Bamaweather.com domain. Been down for many years I know. But there used to be some photos and other data from the November 10, 2002 outbreak and aftermath that I haven't been able to find anywhere else in the years since. The photos aren't on the Internet Archive. It's a longshot but if anyone happens to have the pictures that used to be on the site for that event, I'd be super stoked to get 'em. It's hard to write a detailed article on an event with very little documentation.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
The weather in Alabama and Mississippi was sometimes terrifying but up here in West Central Oregon, so close to the chilly coastal waters, we hardly get thunderstorms. (Some do occur and, VERY rarely, can even be severe.)

I do so miss the Gulf. (In non-severe scenarios, that is.)

Anyway, I was reading the last sentence of this current Day 2 outlook, and said "Cool!" Then, "Wait! What am I saying???!!!"

..Pacific Northwest...
A strong shortwave trough is expected to move into the coasta ln Pacific Northwest late Saturday morning/early afternoon. Dewpoints west of the Cascades will likely be around 50 deg F throughout the Willamette Valley ahead of the main frontal band. This low-level moisture coupled with cold mid-level temperatures may result in just enough instability for a few stronger storms. Primary threat with these storms will be damaging wind gusts. A very low-probability (i.e. less than 2%) tornado threat exists as well.

Anyway, thought people might be interested that there are places where a 50-degree dewpoint can count in tornado formation, however unlikely the possibility may be. (Will have my tablet/phone cameras ready, just in case one comes nearby -- don't have the courage to go out and chase these things and admire those who do.)

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I found this interesting. A Mississippi State meteorology student surveyed 4,000 people to gauge their understanding of the SPC's convective outlook definitions.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm over this winter. It was a colossal disappointment here locally with a yearly total of 4" or less (compared to our average of 32") and now it won't warm up. Maybe some flurries tonight and then maybe another dusting on Friday night. Higher elevations along the border could pick up a couple inches Friday night.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We got less than an inch of snow all winter and yet it's 53 degrees on 6 May, just garbage all around.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There's a program on Ted Fujita tonight on PBS, it just started at 9 if y'all wanna flip over.

Reactions: KoD

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
We get more rain in the summer in Alabama than we used to. It used to be tiny pop up showers that were 80 miles apart. Now, we get either an upper low that brings multiple days of widespread rain and cool temps or when we get summertime thunderstorms, they come in huge clusters like the ones this past Saturday. I want it to be hot and dry, so that maybe I can use my pool and boat this summer.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is finishing up her capstone and could use some replies on this survey. If you or someone you know is afraid of severe weather feel free to fill out this questionnaire.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
You don't see this in Oregon very often. Happened about three hours ago.

Update, June 14th (wish all tornados were this benevolent)

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Might hit excessive heat warning criterion on Monday. I hate summer

Speaking of which, do we not have a summer thread this year?

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
OK, this is not about summer, sorry! Quite the opposite. It's not a good time to be a sheep in Patagonia (don't worry: these get out and bounce around near the end; hope all of them made it):

Storm93

Reaction score
I have a question for an admin. I'm wondering if my name can be changed? if not, it's not a big deal. If so, I will let an admin know what I want my name changed to. Also, I see that this fourm is slow, with under 1k members, which is okay. I have advertised this forum with a direct link to TalkWeather, and hopefully we will get more active members. I hope I can post what I'm looking for on the models on TalkWeather without any problems from other members. I specialize in winter weather prediction, as well as long range predictions of local weather patterns as well as the large scale. I do want to mention; I do not have a degree in meteorology -- I'm just an amateur with years of experience in winter weather forecasting/predicting. I generate my own weather predictions by a technique of going by a mean of all the main computer models -- a blend. I hope the 20-21 winter season will be great with many potential winter weather storms/events to track. I'm glad to be part of TalkWeather!

Reactions: KoD

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Shoot me a PM and let me know what you want it to be.

Logo 468x120
Back