• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We would love for you to become a part of our community.
    Take a moment to look around and join the discussion.
    CLICK HERE TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter (1 Viewer)

Equus

So I noticed there was a good bit of smoke out this evening and wondered where it was coming from; turns out there are a lot of scattered fires right now across the south. Fascinating to watch how wind direction changes across the ridge via smoke plumes.

20210661916-20210662321-GOES16-ABI-SMV-GEOCOLOR-600x600.gif

bjdeming

2021 Supporter
While researching a geology-related post just now, I found this weather-related page designed for European catastrophe bond investors: https://www.artemis.bm/u-s-tornadoes-and-severe-thunderstorms/

I never heard of these until the Danish Red Cross issued one recently for volcanoes. It's interesting, and the funding for relief is good, but it makes me a little uncomfortable, too. After all, not even the 2005 hurricane season triggered full payouts, per Reuters.

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
If April showers bring May flowers what do April snow showers mean?

Had a high of 32.7 so far on and off flurries/light snow all day. Elevations above me have a solid coating. Crazy pattern shift.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Low temperatures in my area stayed a little above the forecast this morning. Most PWS's in my area recorded around 31°, rather than the upper 20's that were forecast. Also, the dip below freezing was pretty short. I was worried for awhile about the possibility of a worse freeze that might damage newly leafed out trees. Remember that really bad late April freeze about a decade ago that nuked the early spring foliage in extreme North Alabama and Middle Tennessee?

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Low temperatures in my area stayed a little above the forecast this morning. Most PWS's in my area recorded around 31°, rather than the upper 20's that were forecast. Also, the dip below freezing was pretty short. I was worried for awhile about the possibility of a worse freeze that might damage newly leafed out trees. Remember that really bad late April freeze about a decade ago that nuked the early spring foliage in extreme North Alabama and Middle Tennessee?
Yeah I believe that was 2007 maybe? Very cold outbreak.

We hit 13 at my house Friday morning and had a nice dusting of snow overnight. Just up the hill a few hundred feet up was single digits. Mt Mitchell and Leconte got down to 4. Crazy for early April.

Yeah I believe that was 2007 maybe? Very cold outbreak.

We hit 13 at my house Friday morning and had a nice dusting of snow overnight. Just up the hill a few hundred feet up was single digits. Mt Mitchell and Leconte got down to 4. Crazy for early April.

Ok, that's way WAY too cold for April! As much as I love the high terrain of Western North Carolina, I think I will stay down here in the hilly tropics of Alabama.

Users who are viewing this thread