• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Weather Banter

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
If there was only some way you all could shift some of that rain up to the Pacific NW!

Just logged on, BTW, to share a video of some cirrus clouds over Corvallis from two days ago as this high-pressure system was setting up. Wish I'd known then that those clouds and the jet were close enough to interact -- the turbulence twisted up the whole formation -- everything!

Not very well done, but it's fun to film the sky. (As for the heat, it's unusual to see 100+ so early in the year, but I've seen it 104 in the shade in late summer. It's a dry heat, though, which is nice.)

(PS: In case anyone is wondering, I've mentioned this before here somewhere, but B. J. Deming is my pen name.)

Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
If there was only some way you all could shift some of that rain up to the Pacific NW!

Just logged on, BTW, to share a video of some cirrus clouds over Corvallis from two days ago as this high-pressure system was setting up. Wish I'd known then that those clouds and the jet were close enough to interact -- the turbulence twisted up the whole formation -- everything!

Not very well done, but it's fun to film the sky. (As for the heat, it's unusual to see 100+ so early in the year, but I've seen it 104 in the shade in late summer. It's a dry heat, though, which is nice.)

(PS: In case anyone is wondering, I've mentioned this before here somewhere, but B. J. Deming is my pen name.)

I was floored to see the temperature forecasts for the PNW. 110° in Seattle and Portland? We've never even had those temperatures here!

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and there's a real rain forest near Seattle, too. :)

But aren't heat-index temps 100 and above typical in Alabama summers? Felt like it!

Edit, a couple hours later: Sorry! I misunderstood you and only just now remembered how this region's weather is seen elsewhere. Have never been to Seattle and stopped going up for Portland day trips even before the political troubles began, so I can't speak for their annual weather, but I understand it's similar to what I've experienced a little farther south, in Corvallis and Eugene:

• Winter: 40s to 50s drizzle, mizzle, and rain, bone-penetrating damp from the northern Pacific (~70 miles west of here), mainly from late December to around May or so. This year, it broke early.
  • Cold, damp spring.
  • Nice start to summer, but no rain. Heat builds. Mediterranean-style dryness and HOT, from around late July through maybe mid-September.
  • Lingering fall, with gradually increasing rain.

Portland might get heat worse than us, as they certainly do winter weather, because air flows in from the east through the Columbia Gorge. But we all do get lots of good weather as well as intense summer heat. Maybe that's why many people complain of the winter weather.

This current heat wave, I think, is breaking records for these early months -- maybe also annual ones, but as mentioned, we do get a LOT of dry heat every year.

California and areas east of the mountains are really getting zapped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Smoke Rise, AL (25 mi. N of downtown Birmingham)
Yeah, and there's a real rain forest near Seattle, too. :)

But aren't heat-index temps 100 and above typical in Alabama summers? Felt like it!

Edit, a couple hours later: Sorry! I misunderstood you and only just now remembered how this region's weather is seen elsewhere. Have never been to Seattle and stopped going up for Portland day trips even before the political troubles began, so I can't speak for their annual weather, but I understand it's similar to what I've experienced a little farther south, in Corvallis and Eugene:

• Winter: 40s to 50s drizzle, mizzle, and rain, bone-penetrating damp from the northern Pacific (~70 miles west of here), mainly from late December to around May or so. This year, it broke early.
  • Cold, damp spring.
  • Nice start to summer, but no rain. Heat builds. Mediterranean-style dryness and HOT, from around late July through maybe mid-September.
  • Lingering fall, with gradually increasing rain.

Portland might get heat worse than us, as they certainly do winter weather, because air flows in from the east through the Columbia Gorge. But we all do get lots of good weather as well as intense summer heat. Maybe that's why many people complain of the winter weather.

This current heat wave, I think, is breaking records for these early months -- maybe also annual ones, but as mentioned, we do get a LOT of dry heat every year.

California and areas east of the mountains are really getting zapped.

Yeah, the winters sound pretty much like what I have imagined, but I didn't realize that part of Oregon actually gets plenty of dry heat during the summer. The summers sound perfect to me, honestly! I hope to finally get to visit the PNW one day soon. I have only been to Seattle once, about 20 years ago, for a conference. Beautiful city!

We do get heat index temperatures above 100° during the summer, but 110° would be a somewhat exceptional heat index here. This summer has been bizarrely cool so far with a very wet June.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
In case anyone up north was having respiratory problems recently, this might have played a big role (read the whole thread, nice graphics):

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Yeah, it's been terrible here. Not so much in terms of breathing (it's mostly too high up in the air for that), but the sky has been hazy all week.

Weatherphreak

Reaction score
I saw where Dubai made their own rain recently. I’m not sure how all that works but seems like this could be something that California, Oregon, and other places could use to at least help with the fires.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Someone uploaded this about an hour ago. Setting aside for a moment the different language and music tastes, it seems that living through a hurricane in what's apparently inland Mexico is similar to doing so in the South. The only thing I missed was the unrelenting racket of the wind, but it did bring to mind the mugginess and how quiet the whole human experience of waiting it out is.

The blessings that helped so much when I lived in hurricane country: NOAA radio, the NWS, James Spann & associates, neighbors, and TalkWeather.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Anyone in harm's way with this one?

Explosive cyclogenesis is
well underway across the NE Pacific this morning as an intense
surface low rivaling the deepest on record in this part of the
Pacific Basin nears peak intensity approximately 500 miles west
of the mouth of the Columbia River. The low continues to track
eastward towards the coast powered by a 150 kt jet streak
rounding the base of an amplified upper level trough digging
over the region. Open ocean buoys ahead of the system are
reporting widespread gale to storm force gusts and seas in the
low to mid 20s to as high as 37 feet, with abundant lighting
activity also being noted. These conditions will continue to
spread into region over the next few hours as an occluded front
arcing well out ahead of the low moves into the coastal waters
and then pushes inland.

Current Portland (OR) FD

We should be good here in Corvallis, on the inland Coastal Range side. Nothing more than the 30s are our forecast wind speeds. It's a different setup from 1962, but the Twitterverse is certainly excited about this bomb, too.

bjdeming

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Tonght I snagged a thermal cam view of approximately the same scene, a few hours after dark so solar input would be minimal. It's not often you get thermal imagery of a snowfield, let alone such heat flow!

Bimgonline-com-ua-collage-JnDRROOTaNj.jpglizzard warnings are in effect through tomorrow morning, though forecast winds are down to 80 mph now. Mauna Loa is at Watch level/Aviation code Orange, but nothing appears imminent, and as I understand it, rift zones are the most likely sources of an eruption right now, not the summit view here. That is just Mauna Loa's background heat.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
We might get our first you-know-what of the season tomorrow. I'd really rather not, since I'm going to get more than enough of it at Christmas with my in-laws in northern Michigan.

Tennie

Reaction score
Here's a couple cool things I just found and wanted to share:

First, a rather incredible tweet from the WMO regarding two new lightning-related records:

(Source.)

Second, the ECMWF is making a wide range of data openly available to those who want them:

Hope you enjoy them!:cool:

Logo 468x120
Back