• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Sunday March 3 Severe Threat

barcncpt44

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone else seeing something about highly trained monkeys when they try to access the drone footage?
There is a issue with YouTube embeds across the entire internet at the moment.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anyone else seeing something about highly trained monkeys when they try to access the drone footage?
I did, but im having computer issues tonight and assumed that was the reason.

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It looked like the inflow tail went right over the top of the drone! Much higher and it would have been sucked in!

Thank you all for your interest, and compliments. I appreciate them, and I’m glad to share the footage with y’all! The tornado appears to become really intense as it just closes in, and moves across the road. The drone’s movement towards the tornado was done by the winds being drawn into the tornado. I only had to pan left to right. Eventually, I had to tell it to stop because it just kept following that wind stream. When I put on the brakes it finally got out of those stronger winds, and was able to automatically return back to its last stable GPS coordinates.

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That storm just had such an eerie feel to it passing Tuskeegee. Strong mid level rotation from distant radars and just wondering what would happen if that translated to the surface while riding the warm front. I'd gone to eat lunch while the worst was happening; hard to believe it took off that fast. Also hard to process that this tornado really happened. The rest of the tornadoes made for a pretty decent Dixie spring outbreak, with no deaths and a fair bit of damage but nothing really high end, but then this thing is tacked onto it and it becomes a really shockingly brutal day.

Reaction score
I find it confusing that offices only report the path length in their CWA in the table at the top. They say 26.73 miles, yet we know that tornado was on the ground for nearly 70 miles in total. I think they should have the total path length listed in parentheses (or, put the total path followed by the segment in their CWA in parentheses).

I remember this made sorting everything out quite a headache for us amateur climatologists post-4/27, since there were SO many tornadoes that day that crossed state/CWA lines. Obviously most days won't have those kind of numbers, but it still would be nice if they'd adjust that a bit.

jmills

Reaction score
Screenshot_20190305-213734.png

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-new...osts-for-all-23-tornado-casualties/1829587268

Coroner Bill Harris tells News 3 two large corporations have reached out to him and will pay for all 23 casualties to be laid to rest.

Harris says the details are still being worked out and at this point, he is not saying the names of the two cooperations.

**Admin edit - WesL - changed the large image to thumbnail and added URL of the story and quick blurb explaining the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Everyone give a round of applause to @Taylor Campbell for his video making NBC Nightly News this evening! That's an incredible accomplishment.

Thank you! It has been a goal of mine, and I'm happy to have finally achieved it!

Last edited:
Reaction score
BMX event page is up. If there was any lingering doubt that this was an extremely violent tornado, the survey photos should eliminate that.
I would say it was a pretty violent tornado. It definitely was not as violent as the Tuscaloosa EF4 tornado and the other four EF5's from 4/27/2011. It may have been capable of at least mid to high-end EF4 damage at some point along its track.

Reaction score
I would say it was a pretty violent tornado. It definitely was not as violent as the Tuscaloosa EF4 tornado and the other four EF5's from 4/27/2011. It may have been capable of at least mid to high-end EF4 damage at some point along its track.
I agree that this one was probably a higher-end EF4 even though the DIs didn't quite get it that rating. Definitely in the same ball park as Holly Springs and Perryville.

The EF5 tornadoes on 4/27/2011 are pretty much in a league of their own when it comes to violence, to a point where most of the F5 tornadoes on 4/3/1974 almost look tame by comparison, but the EF4 tornadoes were unusually violent too. Personally I don't have much doubt that the Cullman/Arab tornado, the Tuscaloosa tornado, the Flat Rock tornado, the Rose Hill/Enterprise tornado, the Ohatchee/Piedmont tornado, the Ringgold tornado, and maybe the Dadeville tornado could have caused EF5 damage if they had hit more/better-constructed structures at their max strength.

andyhb

Reaction score
This event kind of reminds me of some of the AL tornadoes in the distant past that hit relatively rural areas and had a large death toll. Lower Peach Tree on 3/21/1913, several of the tornadoes from 3/21/1932, Bradford on 5/27/1917, etc.

Logo 468x120
Back