• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Sunday March 3 Severe Threat

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Cairo tornado was rated low-end EF2 (120 mph). Still at 0 fatalities in Georgia, amazingly.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't heard of any fatalities outside the immediate Beauregard area; that concentration of fatalities on an outbreak day is weird to see.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I haven't heard of any fatalities outside the immediate Beauregard area; that concentration of fatalities on an outbreak day is weird to see.
Especially considering that we had at least 5 other significant tornadoes, most of which hit vulnerable structures, and two of which were after dark.

Reaction score
So I have a question about the billboard that was displaced 20 miles by the tornado.. Are unusual situations like that one taken into account when the NWS rates tornado damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so usually but I think some offices have done so in the past.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Per the DAT, the Tallahassee, FL area has been upgraded to EF3. A well-built frame home was left with only a few walls standing east of the city.

Kory

Reaction score
Looking like Tallahassee area tornado is going to make history in its own regard as being only the second tornado rated F3/EF3 tornado to strike Leon Co. since 1945.
The Gulf Coast has been having some record breaking tornadoes in recent events. Feb 2016 Pensacola EF3, Feb 2017 New Orleans EF3, and now the Tallahassee EF3. All the strongest in decades or strongest ever recorded.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Gulf Coast has been having some record breaking tornadoes in recent events. Feb 2016 Pensacola EF3, Feb 2017 New Orleans EF3, and now the Tallahassee EF3. All the strongest in decades or strongest ever recorded.
Don't forget the Century, FL EF3 as well.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm not a meteorologist, but I did not expect yesterday's threat to produce a tornado like this one. Never would have imagined we would see a mile-wide, long-track, EF-4.

The soundings that Josh Johnson (Montgomery Met) posted on Twitter plus his forecast showed a strong possibility this could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkWeather mobile app

Back