• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
The tornado also picked up a new boiler standpipe (weighing either 20 or 22 tons - reports differ) and hurled it a couple blocks across town.

i6iRzrB.jpg

JTQfS8E.jpg

I've read reports that it scoured the ground and stripped a bunch of trees on farms outside of Herman, but I haven't been able to find any photos of that yet. One of the victims northwest of town was (allegedly) blown out of his basement and thrown into a field several hundred yards away.

What's really interesting is that a majority of the eyewitness accounts explicitly mention two tornadoes. I mean, you hear a lot about like "two clouds coming together" and whatnot in old-timey accounts, but some of these are pretty clear and specific. Even multiple people around Tekamah (~6.5 mi north of Herman) recounted seeing two separate tornadoes that seemed to come together as they approached the town. Still not totally sure I buy it, but who knows.
The giant boiler tank being thrown---Glaizer-Higgins-Woodward did that too, tossing one (along with a heavy lathe) several city blocks.
The 2 tornadoes thing.....I've read about this thing and it could've been a multivortex (Tupelo I think was reported as starting off as 2 funnels that came together) or maybe it was a Pilger or Gainesville type event that merged before striking the community.

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Well, it's not the area I was looking for but I did find one debarking photo from Herman:

ttUFgEu.jpg

Also, has anyone ever seen this photo?

FxRLXZ6.jpg

I've had it saved for so long now that I can't remember where I got it, but I know there wasn't any information on it. Anywho, it popped back into my mind a minute ago because I was searching the plat maps for the Clear Lake area (the second tornado after New Richmond) and I saw a property belonging to a "Henry Craw" that would've been within the tornado's path. Made me wonder if this could be that place, but I have no way to really know.

locomusic01

Reaction score
The giant boiler tank being thrown---Glaizer-Higgins-Woodward did that too, tossing one (along with a heavy lathe) several city blocks.
The 2 tornadoes thing.....I've read about this thing and it could've been a multivortex (Tupelo I think was reported as starting off as 2 funnels that came together) or maybe it was a Pigler or Gainesville type event that merged before striking the community.
Yeah, almost exactly the same size as well - right around 20 tons.

vrH1HFO.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is pretty random, but anybody wanna hazard a guess as to what the heck the writing says in this image?

EMpbPZB.jpg

CLXaMdH.png

It's a photo from the Herman, NE F4 the day after New Richmond (which I badly need a larger version of) and to me it looks like "Shay & Gassard's Corner" but I dunno what that refers to so I'm wondering if I'm just reading it wrong. On a related note, having read lots of little labels and notes and journal entries and whatnot like this, I think we can debunk the idea that people had much better handwriting back in the day lol. Sometimes the writing is practically unreadable and it drives me crazy.
Looks like “Gray + Goddard’s Corner” so probably the last names of two individuals who owned the houses destroyed in the foreground. Just a guess though.

buckeye05

Reaction score

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel if this outbreak had happened today, we would have seen at least one EF4 rating. This was around the peak of La Plata syndrome imo. But, with that said, it would still be within the MEG area of responsibility so....
Marmaduke and Newbern were almost certainly both F4s. Not sure about the other HE F3s though.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
On a related note, I don't think I've mentioned yet that I found a few more probable tornadoes from the New Richmond event. The supercell that produced the Carnelian Lake tornado reportedly had another brief spin-up before that somewhere around White Bear Lake, which is just northeast of St. Paul.

The day before, June 11, there are reports of a massive tornado a few miles south of Bowdle, SD. One report claimed it was nearly a mile wide, but who knows. It apparently traveled quite slowly and didn't hit anything other than trees so I doubt there's much more information out there.

And on the day after New Richmond, June 13, there seems to have been a pretty powerful supercell that traveled through central Wisconsin. The first reported (likely) tornado damage occurred just south of Reedsburg, with damage also occurring between Baraboo and Wisconsin Dells. That's like 12-ish miles so they may have both been from the same tornado. There was more minor damage near Montello and Princeton but it's not clear if it was tornadic or straight-line. Finally, a fairly significant-sounding tornado touched down southwest of Berlin and traveled roughly 20 miles to the shore of Lake Butte des Morts, doing most of its damage in the area between Waukau and Omro.

Still trying to find enough info to map out the other tornadoes more accurately, but here's the Waukau-Omro one:

OkklUKN.jpg
im courious , what are the evidence for this tornado existing since it was before the 1980?

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
This is pretty random, but anybody wanna hazard a guess as to what the heck the writing says in this image?

EMpbPZB.jpg

CLXaMdH.png

I believe it's "Gray & Goddards". The first "r" is like the second and both "G"s also look the same. Never saw "Shay" spelled like that. The last word starts with "cor" and probably is "corner". My cursive is about like this so I print...

locomusic01

Reaction score
im courious , what are the evidence for this tornado existing since it was before the 1980?
The Waukau-Omro tornado? There are a handful of reports in newspapers and local history accounts and whatnot detailing the damage. I collected them and mapped them out using plat maps, genealogical info, etc. The track's probably not 100% accurate (especially start/end points) but should be reasonably close.

It's hard to say with 100% certainty that it was a tornado, but accounts include barns (and a few farmhouses) being destroyed and their debris being carried long distances, sheep and horses being thrown through the air and/or killed by projectiles, witnesses hearing loud roaring sounds, etc. With a couple of the other undocumented paths (Lake Elmo, for instance) there are also eyewitness accounts of people seeing funnels/"rotary motion," which lends a little more confidence.

joshoctober16

Reaction score
The Waukau-Omro tornado? There are a handful of reports in newspapers and local history accounts and whatnot detailing the damage. I collected them and mapped them out using plat maps, genealogical info, etc. The track's probably not 100% accurate (especially start/end points) but should be reasonably close.

It's hard to say with 100% certainty that it was a tornado, but accounts include barns (and a few farmhouses) being destroyed and their debris being carried long distances, sheep and horses being thrown through the air and/or killed by projectiles, witnesses hearing loud roaring sounds, etc. With a couple of the other undocumented paths (Lake Elmo, for instance) there are also eyewitness accounts of people seeing funnels/"rotary motion," which lends a little more confidence.
that's odd that nws don't have this listed then , also for people looking at undocumented tornadoes , look at the Coleridge event of 2014 , some weird stuff happened.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Looks like “Gray + Goddard’s Corner” so probably the last names of two individuals who owned the houses destroyed in the foreground. Just a guess though.
Thanks guys, that makes more sense. I know there was a family named Gray whose house was destroyed (not sure exactly where) so that's probably it.

Reaction score

Do you have the newspaper clipping of the Waukau-Omro tornado ?

locomusic01

Reaction score
There are a handful of reports in newspapers and local history accounts and whatnot detailing the damage. I collected them and mapped them out using plat maps, genealogical info, etc. The track's probably not 100% accurate (especially start/end points) but should be reasonably close.
Didn't look for the Waukau-Omro stuff yet, but here's another example. Officially (meaning, per Grazulis) the New Richmond tornado family only consists of New Richmond itself + another F2 (very likely underrated) that traveled from around Stanton to Deer Park to Clear Lake. In reality, there were also two other significant tornadoes that traveled another ~32 miles combined:

WV4TBYf.jpg

Both officially undocumented paths are pretty well-attested in newspaper reports, survivor accounts, local histories, etc. For example, the local Rice Lake Chronotype runs down a whole list of damaged properties around Arland:

jUJibip.jpg

Not all of them appear on plat maps, but enough of them do to get a pretty good idea of the path, and going through genealogical records can fill in some more of the gaps. Other newspapers list several injuries, which also helps.

Speaking of the Rice Lake paper, it also includes a list of the dead from New Richmond. I was scanning through it quick to make sure there was nothing new, and.. yikes.

cfHr1Uj.png

locomusic01

Reaction score
Okay, finally got Starlink set up here so my internet doesn't totally blow and take forever to upload photos. Here's the whole batch of TTU survey photos from Brandenburg. I'll post the Jarrell survey photos in a bit as well (although most of them are already either here or in my article).

TCjAr9i.jpg

MzLdYL6.jpg

nlRCGLV.jpg

QpbrbRJ.jpg

IwK6QBC.jpg

RJH0pHA.jpg

Uhjc3Uy.jpg

zWHj8WH.jpg

LkFVhgn.jpg

CBvdyTU.jpg

nqD5Qfy.jpg

SG3WjwJ.jpg