• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Also the J.B. Elliot interview on ABC 33/40 where he described “foundations dislodged and swept away”. Definitely contributing the “legendary” status too. I personally believe he was seeing subfloors torn off, but hey you never know.
Yeah good point about Elliot; I think he simply saw the subfloors torn off like in that one pic I found awhile back

locomusic01

Reaction score
To the right of the funnel you can see large debris in the air, likely tossed a considerable distance. Wonder what the objects are, automobiles, large trees?
Most likely trees. This photo was taken right around the same time one of the women I talked to was watching the tornado from the opposite direction and she specifically mentioned seeing trees flying around:

At the same time, 23-year-old Pamela Lynn was just arriving in Niles to pick up a friend for a night out. As she turned onto Vienna Avenue, absentmindedly mulling over the evening’s plans, she suddenly slammed on the brakes. A towering funnel cloud loomed less than a mile to her north, racing across the sky at a tremendous speed.

A former Nebraska transplant, Lynn had seen two tornadoes a few years apart as a teen. Those were small, short-lived spin-ups, knocking over utility poles and uprooting a few trees. This was something altogether different. Clouds seemed to erupt continually within the lowest portion of the funnel, merging into the whole as they whirled like some demented merry-go-round. Entire trees seemed to defy gravity, gliding through the air like dandelion seeds wafting on a gentle breeze.

Nothing for any of the others yet?
No, I still periodically reach out to people who've said they had photos/videos and never sent them but most don't even respond. I dunno why they even bothered to tell me in the first place.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Okay, here are the Jarrell survey photos. There are like 60 of them so this may take a minute lol

o4orLz6.jpg

ThhCVVw.jpg

uyPfAfI.jpg

xoF3ZWQ.jpg

gQJzL6L.jpg

olaxQhI.jpg

1kIlrvv.jpg

AhdkqJw.jpg

WiTXfn0.jpg

Q9DHUsH.jpg

Hk5VQtL.jpg

quZDsuQ.jpg

1gw8AFJ.jpg

PLBoGAX.jpg

rfPGupR.jpg

yNLROmm.jpg

zKEmvqQ.jpg

JUM8WH2.jpg

NFzRjZQ.jpg

zeX4xBA.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah I've got a bunch of other stuff too - these are just the TTU survey photos.

Looks like your old StormTrack post on it is still up....found a couple of photos here not in this batch of 60 you posted here (man, I need to get a life):

Also, this pic of the aftermath:

4.jpg
Aside from some specks on green on the edge of the neighborhood there's nothing left, about as clean sweep as possible. Amazing how all the concrete/asphalt is removed from here, never seen that with any other tornado:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Here's a video of the aerial, man oh man:

Yeah, it quite literally doesn't get any worse than Jarrell. For some reason it always brings up the way someone (I can't recall who - maybe Oppenheimer?) described nuclear weapons, saying it "has the power to turn everything into nothing." Not a bad way to describe Jarrell, either.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of random damage photos that weren't labeled, so I dunno where they're from. Anybody recognize any of them?

yqzM63F.jpg

l5q3OYo.jpg

jiYU9RA.jpg

BlM0WiU.jpg

Jmx1Bmm.jpg

Zd7XYwP.jpg

PWRwaXJ.png

I think this may be from the 4/26/1906 Bellevue, TX F4 but I'm not positive:

WEj8xKv.jpg

mOHLuZH.jpg

ldLXRWk.jpg

8NjcaWf.jpg

These were labeled as being from the Deep South in the 1930s, so naturally my first thought was either Tupelo-Gainesville or 3/21/32, but who knows.

koraAAV.jpg

M75GueC.jpg

o4bKiXi.jpg

Lk6zrOg.jpg

vAVsJy6.jpg

HX1stoi.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Am I seeing scoured concrete in some of those Jarrell photos? If so, that’s pretty unbelievable.
Was this photo you refer to?
jhBgtVE.jpg
The scored material on the left side was likely asphalt mastic to me but I'm not entirely sure.
It reminds me of this damage of Bakersfield valley(pic of left)
f5-tornado-damage-scouring.png
likely scoured cement here?
Of all destroyed houses in jarrell, this one interested me most
dQrknXa.jpgyFYMbrA.jpg
It didn't looked like typical wood frame or brick veneer house in US. Instead, it was made of heavy marbles with bolts further reinforced. The material it used reminds me of some houses in Czech like this one near peak intensity (these were likely foam brick rather than marbles) Rated F4.
1672815133998.jpg
I think Sawmaster would have better opinion on this.

I think the fact that Jarrell can scour several roads it crossed during peak intensity was incredible. Most violent tornados can at most scour one tiny portion of one particular road which can be coincidence or road quality problem sometimes. For Jarrell, damage like this was more than likely due to its sheer intensity rather than coincidence.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
Just unreal damage there. That's close to as bad as it gets. I'm curious as to where the crushed concrete slabs at 1:42 originated from, as that looks extremely heavy.
It was from the shopping center downtown area which was also the place where that 13t tank landed. The building was pour-in-place concrete structure rather than typical steel frame structure of supermarkets and I believe it was a pretty rare care of violent tornado actually destroyed concrete building.
1648393464857 (1).png
1671801593791.jpg1671801603926.jpgIMG_20230128_093344.jpg
Dollar General nearby(typical steel framed retail store) on the south side of circulation was entirely ripped out of its foundation
1648393387399 (1).png
1671801575429.jpg

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
Was this photo you refer to?
View attachment 17291
The scored material on the left side was likely asphalt mastic to me but I'm not entirely sure.
It reminds me of this damage of Bakersfield valley(pic of left)
View attachment 17292
likely scoured cement here?
Of all destroyed houses in jarrell, this one interested me most
View attachment 17293View attachment 17294
It didn't looked like typical wood frame or brick veneer house in US. Instead, it was made of heavy marbles with bolts further reinforced. The material it used reminds me of some houses in Czech like this one near peak intensity (these were likely foam brick rather than marbles) Rated F4.
View attachment 17303
I think Sawmaster would have better opinion on this.

I think the fact that Jarrell can scour several roads it crossed during peak intensity was incredible. Most violent tornados can at most scour one tiny portion of one particular road which can be coincidence or road quality problem sometimes. For Jarrell, damage like this was more than likely due to its sheer intensity rather than coincidence.
Those aren’t the photos I’m referring to. Will point them out when I’m done with work.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another pic of Jarrell may worth posted.
1674876280605.jpeg
And I believe it was a different vision of this house
6PyfTQu.jpg
Apparently two girls sobering in the front of the pic with cracked concrete walls(foundation?) nearby. You could see different types of mangled vehicles in the background. This was as extreme as tornado damage can get.

Logo 468x120
Back