• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120
Reaction score
Btw, in these shots you can see how close a call it was for that property on the Indiana side of the river that I posted photos from earlier:

vg8kC5i.jpg

tIHKKnP.jpg
Wow.

Any info on the massive Frankfort, KY F4?

Reaction score
I've got a handful of photos from Frankfort/Jett and some aerial shots from Stamping Ground, though a lot of it isn't from the hardest-hit areas:

K42tfAt.jpg

KiftMqN.jpg

wu9yPhq.jpg

VuMmeDK.jpg

v2bB0Q4.jpg

U1mCVgO.jpg

Mfyqtu5.jpg

YWzSIQ1.jpg

iezjjTg.jpg

3XUwocr.jpg

ccUDGTi.jpg

mNIQkhG.jpg

h7QTSwk.jpg

U0lOWH9.jpg

xlqC4l3.jpg

pTxQwyY.jpg

vmbwiyO.jpg

T5qEgxe.jpg

TNwxPjJ.jpg

jSf2dnS.jpg
Man, this one was poorly documented. So are most of the Tennessee tornadoes. The Broadview F4 down in Lincoln and Moore Counties in TN is another one of interest, particularly as I would like to see proof that it was originally an F5 as is claimed besides a single text document.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Man, this one was poorly documented. So are most of the Tennessee tornadoes. The Broadview F4 down in Lincoln and Moore Counties in TN is another one of interest, particularly as I would like to see proof that it was originally an F5 as is claimed besides a single text document.
I could've sworn I had a collection of photos + newspaper clippings on that tornado but I don't see a folder for it now. Maybe I'm misremembering, I dunno. Anyway speaking of Tennessee tornadoes, I have no idea what has/hasn't been posted here before so here's a few aerial shots from the Dowelltown F3:

Xr8zvCn.jpg

D8QTrc4.jpg

GUvt57G.jpg

uP1ilTh.jpg

Dxdo948.jpg

And the Cookeville F4:

ak2deBz.jpg

r2yEcRe.jpg

ilh8vrb.jpg

mEANWp8.jpg

vbYpoGZ.jpg

tC58rMN.jpg

DsVK6Ct.jpg

FLLCPYK.jpg

NvqTtVR.jpg

nqkR3pS.jpg

fufHIz9.jpg

RDhaIo7.jpg

X7uX7XS.jpg

46fWb9a.jpg

Poor photo, but a husband and wife were killed here:

ZO84r8V.jpg

Reaction score
I could've sworn I had a collection of photos + newspaper clippings on that tornado but I don't see a folder for it now. Maybe I'm misremembering, I dunno. Anyway speaking of Tennessee tornadoes, I have no idea what has/hasn't been posted here before so here's a few aerial shots from the Dowelltown F3:

Xr8zvCn.jpg

D8QTrc4.jpg

GUvt57G.jpg

uP1ilTh.jpg

Dxdo948.jpg

And the Cookeville F4:

ak2deBz.jpg

r2yEcRe.jpg

ilh8vrb.jpg

mEANWp8.jpg

vbYpoGZ.jpg

tC58rMN.jpg

DsVK6Ct.jpg

FLLCPYK.jpg

NvqTtVR.jpg

nqkR3pS.jpg

fufHIz9.jpg

RDhaIo7.jpg

X7uX7XS.jpg

46fWb9a.jpg

ZO84r8V.jpg
Alright, but I was also asking if any proof existed that Broadview was rated F5 or if it was just that one document. The document in question was basically "case study on the Lawrence County F5 of '98".

Reaction score

Xr8zvCn.jpg

D8QTrc4.jpg

GUvt57G.jpg

uP1ilTh.jpg

Dxdo948.jpg

And the Cookeville F4:

ak2deBz.jpg

r2yEcRe.jpg

ilh8vrb.jpg

mEANWp8.jpg

vbYpoGZ.jpg

tC58rMN.jpg

DsVK6Ct.jpg

FLLCPYK.jpg

NvqTtVR.jpg

nqkR3pS.jpg

fufHIz9.jpg

RDhaIo7.jpg

X7uX7XS.jpg

46fWb9a.jpg

ZO84r8V.jpg
On the older thread there was this one photo of a large farm and/or house that was completely leveled by this F4 in Tennessee on 4/3/74; I'm wondering if it was a color version of the pic of the house here where the couple were killed?
Anyways, so many of the Tennessee tornadoes this day were badly documented, for whatever reason.
Also, you posted one pic on the old thread of Guin a couple months after the tornado and there was a pretty impressive amount of debris in the background of the pic, haven't seen that pic on this site since. The photo had a picture of some people standing in the front of their storm cave and some tree damage and the debris in the background. Wish I could find it.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Alright, but I was also asking if any proof existed that Broadview was rated F5 or if it was just that one document. The document in question was basically "case study on the Lawrence County F5 of '98".
No idea. I have the paper you're talking about but I've never seen it rated F5 anywhere else that I can recall (though I haven't actively looked into it). From what I remember of the photos I've seen, nothing really jumped out as clear-cut F5 damage. IIRC, the paper made it sound like it was more of a miscommunication or mistake in the record somewhere along the way.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

locomusic01

Reaction score
On the older thread there was this one photo of a large farm and/or house that was completely leveled by this F4 in Tennessee on 4/3/74; I'm wondering if it was a color version of the pic of the house here where the couple were killed?
Anyways, so many of the Tennessee tornadoes this day were badly documented, for whatever reason.
Also, you posted one pic on the old thread of Guin a couple months after the tornado and there was a pretty impressive amount of debris in the background of the pic, haven't seen that pic on this site since. The photo had a picture of some people standing in the front of their storm cave and some tree damage and the debris in the background. Wish I could find it.
Hmm.. I dunno, these are the only photos I have in my Guin folder:

7r4IsGi.jpg

RYhmO0L.jpg

taTHu6I.jpg

0dQ3jsc.jpg

JEpZT5m.jpg

gghyO9Q.jpg

E6AEocm.jpg

OD5jmsk.jpg

LN14s8D.jpg

rZUMtZk.jpg

iZbqPpx.jpg

VwD9v5E.jpg

5h6iXIx.jpg

3t0uJ9W.jpg

ZsSdkfN.jpg

gaxFXkh.jpg

Ip1f5XC.jpg

iQSYpUE.png

MNp7BUT.png

TUw1HX7.png

Reaction score
Hmm.. I dunno, these are the only photos I have in my Guin folder:

7r4IsGi.jpg

RYhmO0L.jpg

taTHu6I.jpg

0dQ3jsc.jpg

JEpZT5m.jpg

gghyO9Q.jpg

E6AEocm.jpg

OD5jmsk.jpg

LN14s8D.jpg

rZUMtZk.jpg

iZbqPpx.jpg

VwD9v5E.jpg

5h6iXIx.jpg

3t0uJ9W.jpg

ZsSdkfN.jpg

gaxFXkh.jpg

Ip1f5XC.jpg

iQSYpUE.png

MNp7BUT.png

TUw1HX7.png

It's the one with the two children and the debris in the background, that's the one I was thinking of, although I think I saw a version that was in color.
Anyways, this photo caught my eye:
0dQ3jsc.jpg

I wishit was in higher depth but it looks like quite a bit of grass is scoured, especially in the slight depression/ditch area. And this tree/pole appears to have been snapped off just above the ground. Pretty impressive.

Steel Central

Reaction score
These 2 photos are especially confusing. You can clearly tell theres a very powerful centerline, yet in the top-left-center of the aerial it goes between 2 homes without flattening either of them. And then of course the one with the most mangled tree i've ever seen next to an average brick structure mostly intact.

Both being right next to each other and the obliterated manufacturing site.
72ctkc0.jpg
8023_cd27b6b120bbd739ddc9a480d89aa437.jpg

Reaction score
These 2 photos are especially confusing. You can clearly tell theres a very powerful centerline, yet in the top-left-center of the aerial it goes between 2 homes without flattening either of them. And then of course the one with the most mangled tree i've ever seen next to an average brick structure mostly intact.

72ctkc0.jpg
Probably a multivortex structure and/or narrow core....happens a lot with the fast-moving Dixie wedges

locomusic01

Reaction score

72ctkc0.jpg
Yeah, it's fascinating how often you find stuff like this in the most violent tornadoes. They can be incredibly capricious, especially when they have a complex multivortex structure. Reminds me of one of my favorite photos from New Richmond:

aC1KRRY.jpg

It's not quite in the center of the path, but everything around this little shack is basically obliterated. And yet, despite looking like it might collapse if you breathed on it too hard, it's practically untouched.

WNr3wVW.png

Tupelo always comes to mind in this context as well. Anyway, someday I'd like to make a concerted effort to track down more Super Outbreak photos, and especially from Guin. For a tornado that's taken on almost legendary status over the years, it's disappointing that we have so few photos and so little info on it.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's fascinating how often you find stuff like this in the most violent tornadoes. They can be incredibly capricious, especially when they have a complex multivortex structure. Reminds me of one of my favorite photos from New Richmond:

aC1KRRY.jpg

It's not quite in the center of the path, but everything around this little shack is basically obliterated. And yet, despite looking like it might collapse if you breathed on it too hard, it's practically untouched.

WNr3wVW.png

Tupelo always comes to mind in this context as well. Anyway, someday I'd like to make a concerted effort to track down more Super Outbreak photos, and especially from Guin. For a tornado that's taken on almost legendary status over the years, it's disappointing that we have so few photos and so little info on it.
Grazulis is to blame for Guin having its legendary stature, he referred to it as being the most violent tornado to ever hit Alabama and yet provided no damage photographs aside from the gash it left through William Bankhead National Forest. I have a feeling he has access to a ton of photographs we'd love to see.

Reaction score
So I finally got one of the batches of Niles, OH photos I've been waiting for forever. Unfortunately they're pretty low resolution and most aren't really anything like what the guy described. Still, I'll finish sorting through them when I can and post anything worth posting here. In better news, I also got a new photo of the tornado:

D5w3opB.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try and find the exact location yet, but I'm told it was taken when the tornado was around North Rd/Woodglen Ave. That'd be just moments before it crossed Mosquito Creek and started hulking out, reaching F4+ intensity on Cynthia Ct. and continuing to intensify on through Niles Park Plaza.
To the right of the funnel you can see large debris in the air, likely tossed a considerable distance. Wonder what the objects are, automobiles, large trees?

Reaction score
So I finally got one of the batches of Niles, OH photos I've been waiting for forever. Unfortunately they're pretty low resolution and most aren't really anything like what the guy described. Still, I'll finish sorting through them when I can and post anything worth posting here. In better news, I also got a new photo of the tornado:

D5w3opB.jpg

I haven't had a chance to try and find the exact location yet, but I'm told it was taken when the tornado was around North Rd/Woodglen Ave. That'd be just moments before it crossed Mosquito Creek and started hulking out, reaching F4+ intensity on Cynthia Ct. and continuing to intensify on through Niles Park Plaza.
Nothing for any of the others yet?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Grazulis is to blame for Guin having its legendary stature, he referred to it as being the most violent tornado to ever hit Alabama and yet provided no damage photographs aside from the gash it left through William Bankhead National Forest. I have a feeling he has access to a ton of photographs we'd love to see.
Also the J.B. Elliot interview on ABC 33/40 where he described “foundations dislodged and swept away”. Definitely contributing the “legendary” status too. I personally believe he was seeing subfloors torn off, but hey you never know.

Reaction score
Found these pics in an old weather book from 2000 I still have:

1. Probably as picture perfect a view of Pampa, TX as you're gonna get. The sheer amount of debris combined with the structure of the tornado and the sense of scale with the buildings below is nothing short of awe-inspiring:

Pampa.png

2. According to the book this was a waterspout that occurred off the coast of Spain. It apparently killed 6 people as it dumped tons of water onto the pier below. I've never been able to find this pic online or any news stories about this event:

Spain.png

Back