• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120
Reaction score
Yeah, it's visible in different shots in a few of the news specials. IIRC it was near the base hospital, in the same general area where these were taken:

VjZw86A.jpg

MHfyV4Z.jpg
Oh yeah this image has come on the thread before, I thought it was taken near Andover high school or something, as the tornado was only at F3 intensity while on the base (unless it did have some F4/5 damage on base I don't know about). I couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was, let alone a Humvee. It looks like it's what happened to that truck near St. John's in Joplin, bent right at the frame and wrapped around a tree.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
you said your mapping moore 13' and joplin right?
I’ve had them saved in the files for about a year now, Moore was finished, Joplin was at the EF4 contour, but if I were to go back and redo them I’d probably just scrap both of the originals because they’re not very good at all lol. Pretty much what I did for Tuscaloosa.
And the Greensburg event!
Greensburg is pretty much complete just need to go back and fix some things, probably after Tuscaloosa is finished.

Reaction score
I’ve had them saved in the files for about a year now, Moore was finished, Joplin was at the EF4 contour, but if I were to go back and redo them I’d probably just scrap both of the originals because they’re not very good at all lol. Pretty much what I did for Tuscaloosa.

Greensburg is pretty much complete just need to go back and fix some things, probably after Tuscaloosa is finished.
cant wait to see greensburg. cause there's already quite a few high quality maps for moore 13. cant wait for joplin as well. i've never seen anyone do a detailed map for joplin.

locomusic01

Reaction score
cant wait to see greensburg. cause there's already quite a few high quality maps for moore 13. cant wait for joplin as well. i've never seen anyone do a detailed map for joplin.
Tim Marshall's survey paper includes a full contour map + rating for every home, although it's split across a few pages and kinda looks like a 5-year-old drew it lol

Mqnlw8I.png

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
The Greensburg event is just the ‘Big 4’ for now and except for residential areas of Greensburg it doesn’t include any really detailed damage maps. As for Tuscaloosa and Greensburg they will for sure be released this month however I’d still call Mayfield a work in progress.
Tim Marshall's survey paper includes a full contour map + rating for every home, although it's split across a few pages and kinda looks like a 5-year-old drew it lol

Mqnlw8I.png
Tim’s house by house damage rating was really detrimental to providing an accurate map for Tuscaloosa-Birmingham, I didn’t entirely base the contours off his map alone there were many other factors, but his survey papers are really helpful.

Reaction score

Oh! Speaking of giant Kansas wedges, I know there is photos+video of the 2007 and 2012 Trousdale tornadoes, but are there any of the 2008 one? Apparently Greg Stumpf was on that cell from Greensburg all the way up to St. John, and it crossed a highway near Belpre so it wasn't totally out in the boondocks.

Also the Buttermilk tornado but that thing was in basically a giant field with no civilization anywhere near so any photos are unlikely to say the least.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Oh! Speaking of giant Kansas wedges, I know there is photos+video of the 2007 and 2012 Trousdale tornadoes, but are there any of the 2008 one? Apparently Greg Stumpf was on that cell from Greensburg all the way up to St. John, and it crossed a highway near Belpre so it wasn't totally out in the boondocks.

Also the Buttermilk tornado but that thing was in basically a giant field with no civilization anywhere near so any photos are unlikely to say the least.
So far from almost hours of digging through the very depths of the internet I haven’t found any photos or videos from the 2008 Trousdale wedge, it occurred at night and was probably rainwrapped and huge like the Clark State Lake megawedge from the same family. Buttermilk would’ve been almost impossible to chase or photograph because it literally occurred in the middle of no where lol. While on the topic of the Buttermilk EF3, I’ve got to say I was really impressed by the damage it left behind, there was pretty clear ground scouring visible on aerial imagery even a month after the tornado. The tree and vehicle damage descriptions are on par with Quinter as well. I’d say Quinter, Clark State Lake, and Buttermilk were probably the top 3 most intense on May 23.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Please help I have no life (AKA I Tried To Draw The Atlantic Tornado From Memory In Google My Maps)
View attachment 14987
EDIT: Close up. This would probably be an even more notable event lol
View attachment 14988
Yeah that would've been bad news lol. Straight through downtown (or what passes for "downtown") Jamestown, Atlantic, Cochranton and Dempseytown instead of barely clipping them. Honestly not that far off though!

locomusic01

Reaction score
In between working on New Richmond, I've been slowly trying to finish mapping out the other events I've covered so far. Just recently added the 7/6/1893 Pomeroy, IA F5:

Pomeroy-IA-F5.jpg

Which, incidentally, was also my first (rather crude) attempt at mapping a tornado track back in the day:

path-map-smaller.jpg

I need to do Palm Sunday at some point, but that's.. a bit of a project. My Flint-Worcester map really needs to be reworked as well. Maybe some day.

Reaction score
So far from almost hours of digging through the very depths of the internet I haven’t found any photos or videos from the 2008 Trousdale wedge, it occurred at night and was probably rainwrapped and huge like the Clark State Lake megawedge from the same family. Buttermilk would’ve been almost impossible to chase or photograph because it literally occurred in the middle of no where lol. While on the topic of the Buttermilk EF3, I’ve got to say I was really impressed by the damage it left behind, there was pretty clear ground scouring visible on aerial imagery even a month after the tornado. The tree and vehicle damage descriptions are on par with Quinter as well. I’d say Quinter, Clark State Lake, and Buttermilk were probably the top 3 most intense on May 23.
personally if your Greensburg tracks only needs some tweaking i'd say finish and release it first and then do the rest of tuscaloosa. but thats just me.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The January 24, 1997 tornado that hit Barfield, TN was one of two F4/EF4 tornadoes to directly impact the Murfreesboro area (the other being the infamous 2009 tornado). F4 intensity was attained in the Southridge subdivision of Barfield, where 44 homes were completely destroyed. Five homes were swept away along with their block foundations, and 18 people were injured. It was part of a localized January tornado outbreak, including an F2 tornado that killed one person in Tuscaloosa.
Barfield-F4-damage-homes.JPG
59d27fe303599.image.jpg

Reaction score
The January 24, 1997 tornado that hit Barfield, TN was one of two F4/EF4 tornadoes to directly impact the Murfreesboro area (the other being the infamous 2009 tornado). F4 intensity was attained in the Southridge subdivision of Barfield, where 44 homes were completely destroyed. Five homes were swept away along with their block foundations, and 18 people were injured. It was part of a localized January tornado outbreak, including an F2 tornado that killed one person in Tuscaloosa.
View attachment 14989
59d27fe303599.image.jpg
question. what tornado is depicted in your pfp?

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
question. what tornado is depicted in your pfp?
Tipton, OK 11/7/2011:
Chris_Spannagle_Manitou4.jpg

And might as well mention that I honestly feel this tornado would have gotten an F5/EF5 rating had it occurred in any other pre-2014 year... of course it kinda got lost in the grand scheme of 2011 though.

Back