• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

pohnpei

Reaction score
I've never heard anyone not agree that this was the most damage-intense tornado ever, and the slow ground speed absolutely played a role in that. As I understand it, at some parts of it's path it was moving at only 3-5 MPH; something like a fast walking or jogging pace. It moved faster after Double Creek but the 1-3 miles took much longer than what we normally see, so I can understand how the weakening would seem quick- only it really wasn't.
I don't think there was evidence that the tornado was moving at that types of low speed in Double Creek. Actually the stormed itself moved like 15mph based on radar.

SouthFLwx

Reaction score

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I don't think there was evidence that the tornado was moving at that types of low speed in Double Creek. Actually the stormed itself moved like 15mph based on radar.
Most of what I've read about it was many years ago so I can't point to any source, but I do know that several sources have said that or something very similar. With it's size, whichever speed is right still allowed the main circulation to hammer a homesite for minutes, not seconds as we usually see.

Phil

A Guy

Reaction score
Surprised the he seems to have gone against the official rating for Vilonia yet has kept 7 (instead of six) F5s for 3/4/74 despite there being no documentation giving Tanner II F5 until it was mysteriously changed. Also New Wren on 27/4/11, but I don't think remember anyone here discussing it as having violent potential until last year so it could easily slip under the radar.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Surprised the he seems to have gone against the official rating for Vilonia yet has kept 7 (instead of six) F5s for 3/4/74 despite there being no documentation giving Tanner II F5 until it was mysteriously changed. Also New Wren on 27/4/11, but I don't think remember anyone here discussing it as having violent potential until last year so it could easily slip under the radar.
I think there's a mix use of his opinion and SPC database here. Like he once argued the rating of F5 in 1982 outbreak but still counted It here.

Reaction score
glad to see that most of the weather community agrees that vilonia WAS MOST DEFINITELY an EF5....the nws really really did screw up with that one. but i think we've covered that already. the recent western Kentucky tornado was also up there. you could say EF4 with that one but there is still quite a good amount of evidence for EF5. from the scouring, to vegetation and vehicle damage, to the weird and incredible phenomenon that occurred like the tore up concrete slab in bremen. and the extremally violent granulation of debris like ground up cinder blocks from another home. vilonia and mayfield are close to being neck and neck in terms of damage intensity. but obviously mayfield is now known as a far more infamous tornado. the fourth deadliest of the EF-scale era behind joplin, hackleburg, and tuscaloosa. the 9th longest tracking in history. and the worst December tornado ever.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
He also only lists 1 F5 for Palm Sunday 1965 when he had 2 in his original 1880-1989 book.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That first picture of the truck wrapped around the tree is just insane. I really wonder how strong the winds had to be to do that.
Joplin did this to a car as well:
Joplin-EF5-damage-car.JPG
6070162009_7ae9524a5f_b.jpg

Honestly there are COUNTLESS examples of vehicles being wrapped around trees/poles and being mangled beyond recognition from this tornado; gives further credence to its EF5 rating.

If tornadoes are making entire parking lots fly we need to get off this planet.
Joplin has you covered as well:
Joplin-EF5-pavement-scouring.JPG

Back