• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

pohnpei

Reaction score
This one always blows my mind:

m5DDLPP.jpg

Was the first pic also from Joplin? I saved this pic in my computer from old talkweather forum but can't recall any detail or which tornado did this for a long time.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Was the first pic also from Joplin? I saved this pic in my computer from old talkweather forum but can't recall any detail or which tornado did this for a long time.
Yeah, the photo and video are of the same car. This was near St. Mary's Catholic Church (25th & Moffet IIRC, just west of the high school).

Reaction score
I hadn't really seen or heard much directly from Tom Grazulis since a couple of interviews in mid-'90s Weather Channel documentaries. Some of his tweets seem unnecessarily cryptic/unclear. Disappointing.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Oh man, if he goes EF4 for Vilonia then there's no hope. I'm wondering if Marshall or associates intimated him into doing this...
Nah I don’t believe that at all. Also something I noticed is that he lists an F5 from the Apr 1982 tornado outbreak which in his original book he has it as an F4. I think he is using some SPC data for his outbreak rank.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Disappointed to hear Grazulis is back-pedaling on this. I wonder what (or who) made him decide to change his mind? Hopefully the very questionable nature of the rating is at least addressed.

Reaction score

Summer employees....that explains why so many ratings back then were inconsistent, using underpaid/unpaid college interns to rank historical tornadoes before the scale based on newspaper photographs and eyewitness accounts is a recipe for disaster.

Source: college student/unpaid intern who hates his future job/academia prospects lol

Reaction score
Disappointed to hear Grazulis is back-pedaling on this. I wonder what (or who) made him decide to change his mind? Hopefully the very questionable nature of the rating is at least addressed.
It was mentioned somewhere that escapes me that he was working with Tim Marshall for the book. I can guarantee Tim Marshall had a say with Vilonia's downgrade

Reaction score
It was mentioned somewhere that escapes me that he was working with Tim Marshall for the book. I can guarantee Tim Marshall had a say with Vilonia's downgrade
Great....not sure I'm gonna bother buying the new book then (whenever it comes out, that is); maybe Tom will go on the record later saying Vilonia should've been EF5 but who knows if that will happen...I was also hoping he'd side with Chickasha, Goldsby, and Chapman 2016 as being EF5, but now I'm not so confident.

Reaction score
Great....not sure I'm gonna bother buying the new book then (whenever it comes out, that is); maybe Tom will go on the record later saying Vilonia should've been EF5 but who knows if that will happen...I was also hoping he'd side with Chickasha, Goldsby, and Chapman 2016 as being EF5, but now I'm not so confident.
Yeah the same dude that rated Chapman EF4 (Because Tuscaloosa tore up railroad tracks, helpfully ignoring it was a bridge) does not inspire confidence. At a guess, I can pretty much say for sure SIGTOR2022 will also have Moore 2013 as the most recent EF5.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Summer employees....that explains why so many ratings back then were inconsistent, using underpaid/unpaid college interns to rank historical tornadoes before the scale based on newspaper photographs and eyewitness accounts is a recipe for disaster.

Source: college student/unpaid intern who hates his future job/academia prospects lol
The entire tornado rating enterprise (both current and historical) is kind of a dumpster fire tbh, for all sorts of reasons. That's why mentally I tend to just sort tornadoes into a few basic bins; something like the current "significant, strong, violent" classifications except without the associated rating thresholds. Maybe also another category like "historic" or something to account for the handful of tornadoes that stand out above the rest.

Reaction score
Yeah the same dude that rated Chapman EF4 (Because Tuscaloosa tore up railroad tracks, helpfully ignoring it was a bridge) does not inspire confidence. At a guess, I can pretty much say for sure SIGTOR2022 will also have Moore 2013 as the most recent EF5.
Great, and I was hoping Grazulis was gonna set things straight. I wonder if he'll upgrade some old F-scale tornadoes that occurred post-La Plata (like Harper, KS and Marion, ND, both in 2004) but my hope for this gets lower every moment now.

Reaction score
The entire tornado rating enterprise (both current and historical) is kind of a dumpster fire tbh, for all sorts of reasons. That's why mentally I tend to just sort tornadoes into a few basic bins; something like the current "significant, strong, violent" classifications except without the associated rating thresholds. Maybe also another category like "historic" or something to account for the handful of tornadoes that stand out above the rest.

Grazulis has 6 categories:
  • "significant"
  • "intense"
  • "major"
  • "extreme"
  • "historic"
  • "super"
Really, historic and super are pretty much the same thing, but who knows?

Of course, if he sides with EF4 for Vilonia my opinion of him is pretty much done. Lol.

Reaction score
Great, and I was hoping Grazulis was gonna set things straight. I wonder if he'll upgrade some old F-scale tornadoes that occurred post-La Plata (like Harper, KS and Marion, ND, both in 2004) but my hope for this gets lower every moment now.
Hey, don't lose all your hope, only most of it. Tom had Worcester at F4 for the longest before going with F5 in 2003.

Back