• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

pohnpei

Reaction score
Great....not sure I'm gonna bother buying the new book then (whenever it comes out, that is); maybe Tom will go on the record later saying Vilonia should've been EF5 but who knows if that will happen...I was also hoping he'd side with Chickasha, Goldsby, and Chapman 2016 as being EF5, but now I'm not so confident.
From his Twitter, I think he already imply that Goldsby and Chickasha won't be listed as EF5 though Rick Smith want to upgrade them.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Oh, yes, he will. 4/27/2014, besides having formerly had Vilonia, also has 3 F4's in the chart.

That said though I have a feeling the list of F5's from 1996-2022 will look exactly the same as official.
But he also didn't count New Wren or Barnesville as EF4 because the Super Outbreak's data was just same with SPC database. I am wandering whether he read those articles of tornadotalk.

Reaction score
Hold on, hold on a hot minute. Perhaps the asterisk means "I wholeheartedly believe it was an EF5 but can't explicitly say so"?
That's what I'm wondering now...perhaps it'll be the same for Goldsby, Chickasha, Chapman 2016 and some others.
I should've thought about this sooner; I think he knows the truth but for whatever reason isn't allowed to fully say so.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
As much as I hate to interrupt the current conversation I can't help but mention this stuff from Sedalia:

a2b3d2bd-833a-46c8-bbe6-cc91397f5d43-Sedalia20damage.transfer2.jpg

17056e12-f2e7-4162-bf4b-ca6490b05171-sedalia20aerials.jpg

1480426-A.jpg

sedalia%203.JPG

buckeye05

Reaction score
As much as I hate to interrupt the current conversation I can't help but mention this stuff from Sedalia:

1480426-A.jpg

sedalia%203.JPG

Always thought this one should have been EF3. There’s an aftermath video on YouTube that shows multiple frame homes in town that were left with only interior rooms standing, and no contextual discrepancy that suggests a lower wind speed.

Pretty sure the ultra-conservative NWS Springfield was responsible for the rating, so no surprise there.

Reaction score
From what I’m gathering from all this, I think he’s going to list them as EF4s, but address the highly questionable nature of the ratings within the summaries. Better than nothing.
Hopefully; I wonder how Marshall has been able to intimidate him into listing them as EF4s, I figured Grazulis was retired and had nothing to lose.
I wonder if Harper, KS and Marion, ND (aka Noot Farm) he'll list as F5 or not. Be interesting to see.

Reaction score

1480426-A.jpg

sedalia%203.JPG

Ah yes, finally my former place of residence gets a mention on this thread! Yeah, the damage to the truck stop was a lot more severe than EF2, and the mobile home park damage was pretty bad; I think part of this thing's problem was it occurred during an outbreak with multiple EF5s documented days prior (El Reno and Joplin) and it likely got overshadowed due to those and NWS Springfield was maybe like "we should downgrade to EF2 because EF3 might be too high and we can't have too many high-end tornadoes in so many days" or whatever.
NWS Springfield are amazingly incompetent; apparently they took a damage survey from the back of a moving car via phone without even bothering to inspect the damage lol.

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Ah yes, finally my former place of residence gets a mention on this thread! Yeah, the damage to the truck stop was a lot more severe than EF2, and the mobile home park damage was pretty bad; I think part of this thing's problem was it occurred during an outbreak with multiple EF5s documented days prior (El Reno and Joplin) and it likely got overshadowed due to those and perhaps NWS Springfield was all "we can only have so many EF5s' in a week" or whatever.
NWS Springfield are amazingly incompetent; apparently they took a damage survey from the back of a moving car via phone without even bothering to inspect the damage lol.
Are you trying to say that tornado was an EF5 because I don’t think so.

Reaction score
That’s probably a typo but the tornadoes were actually impressive size-wise. Some of them might have been over 2 miles wide.
Yep, one got up to 2.5 miles wide which ties both Hallam and Moshannon.

The top 5 largest tornadoes that day:
Red Springs (4,440 yards or 2.5 miles wide)
Bennettsville (2,100 yards or 1.2 miles wide)
Clinton/Mount Olive/Greenville (Tie, 1,407 yards or 0.8 miles wide)
Winnsboro/Newberry (Tie, 1,000 yards or between 0.5 and 0.6 miles wide)
Lewiston/Gatesville (Tie, 880 yards or 0..5 miles wide)

buckeye05

Reaction score
Ah yes, finally my former place of residence gets a mention on this thread! Yeah, the damage to the truck stop was a lot more severe than EF2, and the mobile home park damage was pretty bad; I think part of this thing's problem was it occurred during an outbreak with multiple EF5s documented days prior (El Reno and Joplin) and it likely got overshadowed due to those and NWS Springfield was maybe like "we should downgrade to EF2 because EF3 might be too high and we can't have too many high-end tornadoes in so many days" or whatever.
NWS Springfield very well may be the worst of the worst, but I doubt the low rating was caused by the context of the violent outbreak sequence that was ongoing at the time. NWS Springfield has always underrated their tornadoes, be it during a major outbreak or an isolated tornado day, they seem unwilling to go above EF2. Also, the Southwest City, MO tornado that occurred the same day as Joplin likely should have been rated EF4. It leveled a well-built brick home and tossed a vehicle over 200 yards, leaving it badly mangled.

Reaction score
Yep, one got up to 2.5 miles wide which ties both Hallam and Moshannon.

The top 5 largest tornadoes that day:
Red Springs (4,440 yards or 2.5 miles wide)
Bennettsville (2,100 yards or 1.2 miles wide)
Clinton/Mount Olive/Greenville (Tie, 1,407 yards or 0.8 miles wide)
Winnsboro/Newberry (Tie, 1,000 yards or between 0.5 and 0.6 miles wide)
Lewiston/Gatesville (Tie, 880 yards or 0..5 miles wide)
Moshannon was 2.25 miles at its widest, actually. Still impressive, obviously.
For some reason Wikipedia says it got to 2.5 miles (oh Wiki monkeys, you and your penchant for misinformation).

Back