• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

buckeye05

Reaction score
There used to be a thread dedicated to it, apparently:

Grazulis gives Ruskin Heights an F4 rating, but I don't see why it shouldn't be rated F5, I've never seen these automobile damage pics from it before, really impressive.
Are you sure Grazulis said that? I distinctly remember his write-up on Ruskin Heights mentioning that there was F5-level damage to businesses in at least one area, regardless of the homes.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Grazulis does list it as an F4 but mentions that there was probable F5 damage.
View attachment 11933
Hmmm odd. There’s a few far less convincing F5s listed in his book undisputed as such, like Oelwein and Charles City iirc. I mean hell, Ruskin Heights is one of the few 1950s tornadoes that we can actually confirm swept away anchor bolted homes. Sometimes I don’t follow his logic.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Hmmm odd. There’s a few far less convincing F5s listed in his book undisputed as such, like Oelwein and Charles City iirc. I mean hell, Ruskin Heights is one of the few 1950s tornadoes that we can action confirm swept away anchor bolted homes. Sometimes I don’t follow his logic.
He probably just didn't see the photos of the slabbed anchor-bolted homes back then. Also speaking of Charles City & Oelwein, does anyone here have photos of the supposed F5 damage from those two tornadoes?

buckeye05

Reaction score
He probably just didn't see the photos of the slabbed anchor-bolted homes back then. Also speaking of Charles City & Oelwein, does anyone here have photos of the supposed F5 damage from those two tornadoes?
There is, or at least was a Facebook page dedicated to the Oelwein and Charles City tornadoes, including tooons of damage photos from residents. Every home that was swept away appeared to be built on CMU or very old stone foundations, and many some appeared to be unanchored altogether. The only semi-impressive thing I remember was an asphalt walkway that was scoured from the front lawn of a house. There were also some rare photos of the Charles City tornado itself.

Reaction score
Hmmm odd. There’s a few far less convincing F5s listed in his book undisputed as such, like Oelwein and Charles City iirc. I mean hell, Ruskin Heights is one of the few 1950s tornadoes that we can actually confirm swept away anchor bolted homes. Sometimes I don’t follow his logic.
Yeah, sometimes he makes mistakes but when you're compiling information on 12,000+ tornadoes you're bound to make some errors here and there. He is a better source of consistency in ratings then many NWS offices and Fujita and some of Fujita's staff, though.

pohnpei

Reaction score
I remember Grazulis said on his book things like Pampa 1995 was the strongest tornado ever. So I can get Pampa was very violent and special and there's always a possibility but...

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
He said that based on his photogrammetry analysis and heavy industrial equipment being lofted and tossed.
I also remember he said things like Jarrell wasn't that special. Like the violent damage was mainly due to strong vertical component because many cars were lofted. So I can get that as well but.. Pampa was also very slow moving yet it's damage was weaker compared to Jarrell.

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I found that group that Buckeye mentioned about the 1968 Charles City tornado and yeah, all of the homes that were swept away (that I've seen but probably applies to almost all of the homes in the area) seemed to have been unanchored and laid on a stone/CMU foundation. The contextual damage also wasn't that intense.

326795_242877515749167_7934213_o.jpg

289863_242214312482154_590500_o.jpg

69523_440525849317665_202320188_n.jpg

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
A bit random, but I was looking thru my 5/3/99 files for a certain photo and I found this one that I don't think I posted anywhere. Or maybe I did, I dunno. Anyway, it's kind of a neat view that shows the insane vegetation damage from a different perspective than you usually see.

Edit: This is from Bridge Creek, obviously.

OSKkraI.jpg

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Damage photos from the Plainfield F5 that might not have been published before, which behaved pretty similar to Czech EF4 last year from my perspective.The tornado reached maximum intensity in cornfields outside the city (the place where Fujita rated F5 according to significant ground scouring) but went immediately weakening in the city. It encountered numerous automobiles outside the city with many of them been thrown long distance and severely mangled.
IMG_20220121_111438.jpgIMG_20220121_111935.jpgIMG_20220121_112058.jpgIMG_20220121_112653.jpgIMG_20220121_112406.jpgIMG_20220121_112507.jpgIMG_20220121_112011.jpgIMG_20220121_114359.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
the tornado was very slow moving with a multi vortex structure like joplin. it sat over greensburg for multiple minutes. if the whole thing was violent then there wouldnt have been a single structure left standing in town. its definitely the work of a weak wedge with strong sub vorticies. or maybe not who knows. trying to explain wedge tornado damage as opposed to small tornado damage is much more difficult...
On the contrary, relative slow moving(actually Greensburg was not slow moving) and very big (large RMW) types of tornado would have the lowest windload compared to Smithville types of tornado(fast moving small RMW). This is an important conception of tornados because given the same wind speed, tornados would have much stronger windload than hurricanes and It is used by tornados as a powerful weapon in damage, especially structure damage. Extremely quick change of pressure/wind direction is the biggest enemy for structures that used to be designed for horizontal winds.

So this depends on your definition of the "intensity" of tornados. It wouldn't be used in hurricanes because given the same wind speed, smallest hurricanes would have the same windload with the largest hurricanes. But in terms of tornados, we often already involve this yardstick imperceptiblely despite wind speed is still the only measurement of tornado's intensity on the surface.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another notable F5 tornado from the 1960s is the 1960 Prague-Iron Post OK F5. This tornado has likely false rumors surrounding it and some of the homes swept away seem to have been poorly anchored. There are some interesting things I found though.
Apparently the “rumours” did not originate in the Significant Tornadoes volumes or the F5–F6 report, but in Thomas P. Grazulis’ original manuscript compiled for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The manuscript, or rather technical memorandum, is entitled “Violent tornado climatography, 1880–1982” and is 165 pages in length. Unfortunately, a full copy is not available online, but I would be very interested in obtaining one. It contains many figures and tables as well as references. Based on my correspondence with Rich Thompson and Roger Edwards the “rumours” of deep ground scouring etc. seemed to have originated in this report. But I would need to access it to confirm.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Damage photos from the Plainfield F5 that might not have been published before, which behaved pretty similar to Czech EF4 last year from my perspective.The tornado reached maximum intensity in cornfields outside the city (the place where Fujita rated F5 according to significant ground scouring) but went immediately weakening in the city. It encountered numerous automobiles outside the city with many of them been thrown long distance and severely mangled.
View attachment 11936View attachment 11937View attachment 11938View attachment 11939View attachment 11940View attachment 11941View attachment 11942View attachment 11943
That is absolutely some of the worst vehicle damage I have ever seen, especially the one vehicle that appears to have been reduced to nothing more than an engine block and axle.
I know some on here have questioned Plainfield's rating as there was no structural damage in Plainfield proper rated higher than high end F4 (now let's not reignite the "F5 corn scouring" debate please) but this is a pretty good indicator to me Plainfield contained winds capable of causing F5 damage.
It should be kept in mind the tornado was not wide at all when it caused that damage and there were pretty much no structures out there. So it's not like those vehicles were bouncing around in a wedge for an extended period of time or being constantly hit by tons of high speed debris.
I believe the Czech F4 was capable of causing F5/EF5 damage as well at some point, but like Plainfield seems to have peaked in an area with no structures.

Back