• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Two things:

A). What does that have to do with this current discussion whatsoever?

B.) Do you have sources that say this is going to happen, or are you just non-productively griping about hypothetical scenarios? If it's the latter, then just stop. Constant complaining doesn't make for meaningful, nor interesting discussion.
first. you don't need to be like that. second, i didn't realize it was this thread. i thought it was the EF-scale ratings debate thread.

third. apparently they're changing the max DOD for one or two family residences from 220 mph to 240 mph. and something to do with region locking or something. unfortunately i cant seem to find the source i got that information from anymore. either it was removed or i forgot exactly what it was called.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Not really motivated to go back and see what has and hasn't been posted re: Greensburg, so here's some random stuff. I believe the first one here was a mail truck IIRC.

6iA1nx8.jpg

O4h4EnD.jpg

QeqV3ut.jpg

FF2Cum1.jpg

5L7FhlN.jpg

rUpfnov.jpg

k5YVx5K.jpg

Reaction score
April 19-29, 1912 was probably one of the most impressive periods of tornadic activity on the Great Plains. Two major tornado outbreaks occurred, one with 6 violent tornadoes, and the other with 7 violent tornadoes only 7 days apart. During this same period, there were 2 F4s in IL and one F4 in GA.
View attachment 11977
i really wish we had todays radar back then.

Reaction score
Wow, that is very intense vegetation damage. The Greensburg tornado family was a very impressive event, it kept producing massive and intense-violent tornadoes.
Yeah the Greensburg supercell reminds me of the Blackwell-Udall one in terms of multiple massive and violent wedges being spawned in quick succession of one another.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
To be fair, it wasn’t evident just how violent Greensburg was until recently. There’s a lot of newly discovered photos that demonstrate just how violent it truly was.
That’s why a lot of people considered it a minimal EF5 there are hardly any images of the EF5 damage. They either got lost over time or the media ignored them altogether, I had to dig really deep to find some of these photos and I’m glad I did to shed light on just how powerful this tornado was. I’ve also got some more pictures of the damage caused by the 3 wedges later on but I’m sure most of you have already seen them on my Twitter.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Not really motivated to go back and see what has and hasn't been posted re: Greensburg, so here's some random stuff. I believe the first one here was a mail truck IIRC.

6iA1nx8.jpg

O4h4EnD.jpg

QeqV3ut.jpg

FF2Cum1.jpg

5L7FhlN.jpg

rUpfnov.jpg

k5YVx5K.jpg
The house in the 5th photo appears to have anchor bolts. That is probably the first case of anchor bolted homes being swept away (that were clearly photographed and assuming cleanup has not taken place in that photo) I've seen from Greensburg.

pohnpei

Reaction score

6iA1nx8.jpg

O4h4EnD.jpg

QeqV3ut.jpg

FF2Cum1.jpg

5L7FhlN.jpg

rUpfnov.jpg

k5YVx5K.jpg
The last picture looks quite similar to some damage we have seen in downtown Mayfield. Maybe It was from downtown Greensburg and downtown Greensburg wasn't even in the core of the tornado Iirc. Also there was seemingly concrete pillar showed on the ground torn from unknown building.

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about making full damage contour maps, if not for every 5/31/85 tornado, at least for some of the primary ones. It's kind of a pain and there's obviously a fair bit of guesswork involved, but I think it's pretty interesting. This is just a rough start to get a feel for it, but is this something y'all would be interested in?

(There are two F5 areas here btw, just forgot to change the transparency for the one on the left.)

Edit: Also there's no marker for the uncounted fatality that I found because I haven't been able to nail down an exact address yet. I believe it may have been near the Shenango Hotel, which would've been dead center of the larger F5 area where there's already a marker (someone was killed at the hotel itself).

fmmvIS4.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about making full damage contour maps, if not for every 5/31/85 tornado, at least for some of the primary ones. It's kind of a pain and there's obviously a fair bit of guesswork involved, but I think it's pretty interesting. This is just a rough start to get a feel for it, but is this something y'all would be interested in?

(There are two F5 areas here btw, just forgot to change the transparency for the one on the left.)

Edit: Also there's no marker for the uncounted fatality that I found because I haven't been able to nail down an exact address yet. I believe it may have been near the Shenango Hotel, which would've been dead center of the larger F5 area where there's already a marker (someone was killed at the hotel itself).

fmmvIS4.jpg
Really weird how the F5 damage path abruptly narrows around one building then suddenly widens up again; perhaps the work of a subvortex or a narrowing of the core? Either way, really weird and striking.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Really weird how the F5 damage path abruptly narrows around one building then suddenly widens up again; perhaps the work of a subvortex or a narrowing of the core? Either way, really weird and striking.
Yeah, hard to tell from the few aerial views exactly what was going on, but the core (subvorts or otherwise) was quite wobbly. The main F4/F5 streak in Niles was similarly squiggly. Not really that uncommon though - damage patterns are often pretty weird, especially violent damage.

pohnpei

Reaction score
In terms of Joplin, I have a question about its hospital damage. I've seen several sources said the entire hospital was moved by tornado about 4 inches but I've never seen NWS confirmed this. So did anyone know whether It was a rumor or fact because It's quite hard to believe for me that building of such magnitude can be moved by a tornado, especially the hospital was not in the absolute center of the tornado.
one of the place mentioned this:

Reaction score

6iA1nx8.jpg

O4h4EnD.jpg

QeqV3ut.jpg

FF2Cum1.jpg

5L7FhlN.jpg

rUpfnov.jpg

k5YVx5K.jpg
The basement of the house with the walls swept away....wow
What's amazing about Greensburg is that it was weakening while going through town but still managed to do quite a bit of EF5 damage and still managed to destroy the entire place. It's amazing how violent this supercell was, I'd love to find more photos and videos of the other wedges spawned from this thing.

Reaction score
The basement of the house with the walls swept away....wow
What's amazing about Greensburg is that it was weakening while going through town but still managed to do quite a bit of EF5 damage and still managed to destroy the entire place. It's amazing how violent this supercell was, I'd love to find more photos and videos of the other wedges spawned from this thing.

Shane Adams has posted his DVD releases in their entirety, this one includes his May 4, 2007 chase in which he caught the entire family (and briefly spoke to the police officer who was later killed by one of the post-Greensburg wedges). Unfortunately his website with detailed write-up appears to be gone. I'll have to see if I can dig it up in the Wayback Machine later after work.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
In terms of Joplin, I have a question about its hospital damage. I've seen several sources said the entire hospital was moved by tornado about 4 inches but I've never seen NWS confirmed this. So did anyone know whether It was a rumor or fact because It's quite hard to believe for me that building of such magnitude can be moved by a tornado, especially the hospital was not in the absolute center of the tornado.
I’m guessing it is just a baseless rumor.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I've heard so many different things about this, but I have no idea where it originated. It was widely reported in the news, but neither Tim Marshall's survey nor the NIST study mentioned it. The NIST study found that there was significant damage to the building envelope, which is what led to the 12 impact-related fatalities there, but I don't think they found any structural deformation. Well, except for the emergency generator building, which was closest to the tornado's track and was pretty much demolished.

Anyway, I don't know that there's anything to it at all, but it certainly wasn't shifted on its foundation as some reports say. I'd find it slightly more plausible that the top floors suffered some deformation (a la Great Plains Life and a few other buildings in Lubbock 1970), but that doesn't seem to be the case either based on what I remember of the NIST report.

buckeye05

Reaction score
https://ascelibrary.org/doi/abs/10.1061/(ASCE)NH.1527-6996.0000515
This ASCE study gave the 2017 Naplate IL EF3 an EF2 127 mph rating. This is because the DOD 7-8 structures were on unreinforced masonry block foundation walls and had poor-construction quality. They also did a treefall wind speed model and got a maximum wind speed of ~129 mph.
I typically roll my eyes at these engineering only surveys, but for once, I kinda agree. I remember the Naplate tornado, and I remember thinking “Hmm that seems a bit high given the damage severity” when the EF3 rating was assigned.

As far as I know, it isn’t mentioned in any NWS survey text. However, what is absolutely true is that it damaged the hospital’s underpinning system to the point where the whole building was structurally compromised and had to be demolished. That is every bit as impressive, is the most intense damage to a high-rise building I have ever studied, and is undoubtedly indicative of EF5 intensity.

I did hear from someone who allegedly was involved in the survey, or knew someone who was, that the whole “moved 4 inches off the foundation” claim isn’t true, but that the underpinning damage resulted in 4 inches of structural deformation to the building. I can see how that would be misinterpreted and re-told the wrong way over time, quickly devolving into rumor.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I typically roll my eyes at these engineering only surveys, but for once, I kinda agree. I remember the Naplate tornado, and I remember thinking “Hmm that seems a bit high given the damage severity” when the EF3 rating was assigned.

As far as I know, it isn’t mentioned in any NWS survey text. However, what is absolutely true is that it damaged the hospital’s underpinning system to the point where the whole building was structurally compromised and had to be demolished. That is every bit as impressive, is the most intense damage to a high-rise building I have ever studied, and is undoubtedly indicative of EF5 intensity.

I did hear from someone who allegedly was involved in the survey, or knew someone who was, that the whole “moved 4 inches off the foundation” claim isn’t true, but that the underpinning damage resulted in 4 inches of structural deformation to the building. I can see how that would be misinterpreted and re-told the wrong way over time, quickly devolving into rumor.
Where did you get that information because the NIST survey of the hospital doesn’t mention that either.

Back