• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
While we're still on Joplin, I'll never not be amazed by the vehicle + vegetation damage. I mean, obviously a violent tornado going through a relatively dense suburban area is always gonna produce high-end damage, but in Joplin's case it's legitimately among the most violent I've ever seen. And not just in one area, either - there was extremely high-end contextual damage in a ton of places. The St. John's area and Joplin High are especially noteworthy, though.

Near the hospital + wider view:

T9mqYx4.jpg

P1Flex4.jpg

j5CaIGF.png

O3T0FPi.jpg

F5Thmf0.jpg

Just south of the HS:

3WcY7IJ.jpg

Pjg7tn6.jpg

Hq7ZDUz.png

Some pretty wild debarking of shrubs:

2TBxdqT.jpg

SzhTiTy.jpg

Also a different view of the windrowing near Duquesne & E 20th:

FblV5GQ.jpg
Concerning the truck bent around a tree, 2 videos of it:

Amazing how completely debarked every tree and branch in the area is and the prominent grass/ground scouring, especially in the first video.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Speaking of stone house damage, there always a question haunt over me.
The one damage feature that always regarded as the representment of the sheer intensity of Rainsville tornado was its obliterated stone house with its foundation lifted. I also agree this was the most impressive damage from Rainsville but I never saw anyone mentioned about the anchor system about this house. Did It really well anchored or did material(stone obviously) really matters If It was not anchored properly.
Like for two given house that get leveled,one was completely wood frame but anchored properly(like Bassfield's cabin) another one was made entirely with stone but poorly anchored, which one should get higher rating?

View attachment 11999

View attachment 12000
I guess I've never seen the before picture of the Bassfield cabin. Even if well anchored, I'd hesitate to call it equal to a "one or two family residence" damage indicator. The EF4 rating makes a little more sense to me now.

Reaction score
While we're still on Joplin, I'll never not be amazed by the vehicle + vegetation damage. I mean, obviously a violent tornado going through a relatively dense suburban area is always gonna produce high-end damage, but in Joplin's case it's legitimately among the most violent I've ever seen. And not just in one area, either - there was extremely high-end contextual damage in a ton of places. The St. John's area and Joplin High are especially noteworthy, though.

T9mqYx4.jpg

P1Flex4.jpg

j5CaIGF.png

O3T0FPi.jpg

F5Thmf0.jpg

Just south of the HS:

3WcY7IJ.jpg

Pjg7tn6.jpg

Hq7ZDUz.png

2TBxdqT.jpg

SzhTiTy.jpg

FblV5GQ.jpg

EF3.

(Never gets old)

buckeye05

Reaction score

T9mqYx4.jpg

P1Flex4.jpg

j5CaIGF.png

O3T0FPi.jpg

F5Thmf0.jpg

Just south of the HS:

3WcY7IJ.jpg

Pjg7tn6.jpg

Hq7ZDUz.png

2TBxdqT.jpg

SzhTiTy.jpg

FblV5GQ.jpg
What is the large brick veneer basement foundation in pic #5? It looks like a pretty substantial structure of some kind was completely swept away there, and I've never noticed it in any other photos from Joplin.

locomusic01

Reaction score
What is the large brick veneer basement foundation in pic #5? It looks like a pretty substantial structure of some kind was completely swept away there, and I've never noticed it in any other photos from Joplin.
I'm drawing a blank on what the structure was at the moment, but here are some other photos.

Near the top right corner:

9Om6x2O.jpg

Top of photo, just right of center:

Hhlwdd4.jpg

7UUSILU.jpg

IlIXTmq.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I have always been impressed with Joplin but every new photo that is posted to this thread simply stuns me.
And I get ever more pissed off when I am reminded that the rating is (very unfairly, quite frankly) questioned.

Reaction score
Vehicle damage apparently from El Reno 2013.

2013-el-reno-ef5-tornado-powerline.png

The guy from extremeplanet was at a survey for this thing and posted many photos from it; this thing's damage path is so strange, nothing more then EF3 damage yet EF5 level winds were documented within it.

locomusic01

Reaction score

The guy from extremeplanet was at a survey for this thing and posted many photos from it; this thing's damage path is so strange, nothing more then EF3 damage yet EF5 level winds were documented within it.
Speaking of El Reno '13, for anyone who didn't already know, there's like a billion aerial survey photos here: https://apollo.nvu.vsc.edu/vortex2/Moore2013/el_reno.html

locomusic01

Reaction score
The author of Extreme Planet is another great severe weather writer who's dropped off the face of the Earth since 2014 (until the latest three articles on StormStalker, one could be forgiven for thinking the same about @locomusic01 ). I wonder what happened to him.
He must have more sense than I do lol. I am curious where he went and if he plans to ever pick it back up in the future, though.

locomusic01

Reaction score
On an unrelated note, here's something pretty wild that I only found out about recently. Don't feel like typing up a whole explanation so I'll just copy/paste the relevant bit from my article. This is from Wheatland:

At the Schilli Motor Lines trucking terminal, long-haul trucker Paul Donoghue had been working on a crossword puzzle while he waited for a load of supplies. Being in a heavily industrial zone, he hardly registered the dull rumble in the distance — until he happened to glance in his mirror. A dingy, dark-gray curtain filled his view, speckled with large chunks of debris whirling wildly in all directions.

Instinctively, he dove across the front seat and covered himself, trying to stay as low as possible. A few hundred yards away, the tornado picked up a pair of fully loaded freight trailers and drove them through the truck terminal, leaving the two-story structure “shredded to pieces.” The savage winds spun his semi-truck across the lot, cleaving the sleeper cab from the frame and wrapping it around the twisted I-beams of the terminal. Despite the destruction of his truck, however, Donoghue escaped with only cuts and bruises.

I've encountered lots of close calls and lucky escapes, but I can't say I've heard anything quite like that before. I have a picture of the truck, but the quality isn't very good and you can't make out a lot of detail. Really hoping I can find some better ones.

Reaction score
He must have more sense than I do lol. I am curious where he went and if he plans to ever pick it back up in the future, though.
Well there's this comment from him in 2019 to a commenter asking where's been:

Screenshot 2022-01-25 at 19-09-55 10 Incredible Videos Captured Inside a Tornado.png

So who knows of his whereabouts since 2019? I think there's another comment on his blog where he mentions having moved to Hawaii but I'll have to dig for it....

Reaction score
I'm drawing a blank on what the structure was at the moment, but here are some other photos.

Near the top right corner:

9Om6x2O.jpg

Top of photo, just right of center:

Hhlwdd4.jpg

7UUSILU.jpg

IlIXTmq.jpg

Extremeplanet's article on Joplin:

Some really good photos on there

Logo 468x120
Back