• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

buckeye05

Reaction score
Where did you get that information because the NIST survey of the hospital doesn’t mention that either.
It was in a detailed summary of the damage path released by NWS Springfield, not NIST. Unfortunately, this is what happens when I go to that link.
40B5ED5C-2A59-4E28-871E-8C4BC5561E85.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
Does anybody have the long damage summary from NWS Springfield archived? It was extremely detailed, explaining all kinds of insane damage to office and institutional buildings in the St. John’s area, noting deformation of main structural support beams, and roof trusses that were “rolled up like paper.” It also described the deformation of a reinforced concrete floor and step structure that was observed in that area, and damage to driveways at homes. I can’t believe it’s no longer accessible. Surely some of you remember it too? It was a huge wall of text.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Does anybody have the long damage summary from NWS Springfield archived? It was extremely detailed, explaining all kinds of insane damage to office and institutional buildings in the St. John’s area, noting deformation of main structural support beams, and roof trusses that were “rolled up like paper.” It also described the deformation of a reinforced concrete floor and step structure that was observed in that area, and damage to driveways at homes. I can’t believe it’s no longer accessible. Surely some of you remember it too? It was a huge wall of text.
Found it. Looks like it was reported but not confirmed.
Update: Oh, wait it appears to have been confirmed later actually. https://web.archive.org/web/20110811034748/http://www.crh.noaa.gov:80/sgf/?n=event_2011may22_survey
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15-36-06 National Weather Service Springfield, MO - Event Review - Ma...png
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15-40-24 National Weather Service Springfield, MO - Event Review - Ma...png
Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 15-41-48 National Weather Service Springfield, MO - Event Review - Ma...png

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle damage apparently from El Reno 2013.

2013-el-reno-ef5-tornado-powerline.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Digitized booklet with damage photos from the 1971 Joplin tornado:

On another note, I do own a physical copy of this book and they're not expensive so I would recommend picking up a copy while they're still cheap.

pohnpei

Reaction score
several pic from Joplin
anchored big house swept clean. There were some steel rebar showed on the lower right side that I don't know what It used for.
IMG_20220125_091004.jpg
big truck was bent from chasis level
TN300_Joplin_Damage_01.jpg
Maybe one of the ripped and tossed parking lot with its rebar exposed
250302_228782793804383_7480734_n.jpg
mangled trucks tossed from hospital parking lot

E_CcJiFWYAAQm9K.jpeg
a screw impaled into the chasis of a mangled truck
270339_122632491161004_4153891_n.jpg
Many dismentled peices of containers from factory area tossed around
P1170237.jpgP1170236.jpg
siginificant grass scouring
E5a2uNGXEAAVrqq.jpeg
There were still several places that I would love to find more photos of Joplin.Like the destroyed bank and apartment had its top two floors leveled mentioned in summary.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
several pic from Joplin
anchored big house swept clean. There were some steel rebar showed on the lower right side that I don't know what It used for.
View attachment 11987
big truck was bent from chasis level
View attachment 11984
Maybe one of the ripped and tossed parking lot with its rebar exposed
View attachment 11985
mangled trucks tossed from hospital parking lot

View attachment 11988
View attachment 11986
Many dismentled peices of containers from factory area tossed around
View attachment 11989View attachment 11990
Another angle of the house in the first photo. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but there is what appears to be a chunk of concrete missing from the foundation next to the mangled car?
Joplin-EF5-damage-home-vehicle.JPG

Reaction score

buckeye05

Reaction score
Another angle of the house in the first photo. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but there is what appears to be a chunk of concrete missing from the foundation next to the mangled car?
View attachment 11991
Yup, reinforced concrete stem wall is sheared off there, exposing the rebar. It’s clearly visible in the first photo too. However, there was clearly a vehicle impact, so that has to be considered as a possibility.

I’ve posted this before, but here’s another house that had its poured concrete walk-out basement wall blown out in the same general area of Joplin. This one was anchor bolted too.
4C36D944-6817-43CF-81C1-C673A4EAE7A7.png

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
There were still several places that I would love to find more photos of Joplin.Like the destroyed bank and apartment had its top two floors leveled mentioned in summary.
The bank can be seen in the upper right corner of this photo:
e-20th-and-rhode-island-commerce-bank.jpg

A before and after view of the apartment complex can be seen at 2:02 in this video. It's some of the most violent apartment damage I've ever seen.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Something interesting to notice in Marshall's Joplin article: There was one EF5 rating area East of factory area was mainly based on debris streak? I would love to find ground view pics of this area.

IMG_20220125_100459.jpg
There was a quite large EF5 rating area along E20 street that didn't have many information.
IMG_20220125_100445.jpg
They may consider Greenbriar house was EF5 level damage?
IMG_20220125_100543.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
This is unrelated to the Joplin conversation but I found this interesting case of damage from the 4/27/1912 Sentinel OK F4. This was a two-story stone house with 18-inch thick walls that was leveled. Amazingly no-one in this house was killed.
View attachment 11998
Speaking of stone house damage, there always a question haunt over me.
The one damage feature that always regarded as the representment of the sheer intensity of Rainsville tornado was its obliterated stone house with its foundation lifted. I also agree this was the most impressive damage from Rainsville but I never saw anyone mentioned about the anchor system about this house. Did It really well anchored or did material(stone obviously) really matters If It was not anchored properly.
Like for two given house that get leveled,one was completely wood frame but anchored properly(like Bassfield's cabin) another one was made entirely with stone but poorly anchored, which one should get higher rating?

1ab2f5b5e6407f5e11331f034161460aa6097682_raw.jpg

image.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
While we're still on Joplin, I'll never not be amazed by the vehicle + vegetation damage. I mean, obviously a violent tornado going through a relatively dense suburban area is always gonna produce high-end damage, but in Joplin's case it's legitimately among the most violent I've ever seen. And not just in one area, either - there was extremely high-end contextual damage in a ton of places. The St. John's area and Joplin High are especially noteworthy, though.

Near the hospital + wider view:

T9mqYx4.jpg

P1Flex4.jpg

j5CaIGF.png

O3T0FPi.jpg

F5Thmf0.jpg

Just south of the HS:

3WcY7IJ.jpg

Pjg7tn6.jpg

Hq7ZDUz.png

Some pretty wild debarking of shrubs:

2TBxdqT.jpg