• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
In his book Warnings: the True Story of How Science Tamed the Weather, Mike Smith considered the Ruskin Heights MO tornado to have produced more intense DIs than either the Greensburg KS or Joplin MO tornadoes. As far as I know the Ruskin Heights tornado did not snap poured concrete basement walls, unlike Joplin, Parkersburg IA, or Brandenburg KY, nor did it destroy solid brick structures (i.e., schools or churches) with interior walls, whereas Udall KS, Greensburg, and Mayfield KY did so. Photographs of the damage in Ruskin Heights show that subfloors and/or tiles remained on several of the foundations. In Significant Tornadoes Thomas P. Grazulis did mention that pilots reported tornado-related debris at up to 30,000 ft in altitude, which may have some bearing on intensity. Does anyone have photographs showing high-end DIs in Ruskin Heights?

pohnpei

Reaction score
In his book Warnings: the True Story of How Science Tamed the Weather, Mike Smith considered the Ruskin Heights MO tornado to have produced more intense DIs than either the Greensburg KS or Joplin MO tornadoes. As far as I know the Ruskin Heights tornado did not snap poured concrete basement walls, unlike Joplin, Parkersburg IA, or Brandenburg KY, nor did it destroy solid brick structures (i.e., schools or churches) with interior walls, whereas Udall KS, Greensburg, and Mayfield KY did so. Photographs of the damage in Ruskin Heights show that subfloors and/or tiles remained on several of the foundations. In Significant Tornadoes Thomas P. Grazulis did mention that pilots reported tornado-related debris at up to 30,000 ft in altitude, which may have some bearing on intensity. Does anyone have photographs showing high-end DIs in Ruskin Heights?

He also said Greensburg/Trousdale was the strongest of all time on Twitter.

Reaction score
Mike Smith is an idiot so...

Tell us how you really feel, Andy! LOL!

If it's the same Mike Smith I'm thinking of, he certainly likes to take every opportunity to plug his book over on Stormtrack. I will say he makes some decent points in his posts but also some that I vehemently disagree with.

Reaction score
lmao no. greensburg was barely worthy of an ef5 rating. its like, literally just over the edge for ef5 damage. everything else is ef4 to ef3 damage. the velocities where high on radar yeah but there's been tornadoes that blow greensburg out of the water with their velocities.
greensburg has absolutely no chance of being rated ef5 today.

Reaction score
i feel that fast moving thin cored tornadoes doing high end damage are more often stronger than large slow moving wedges. traditional tornado alley tornadoes can be incredibly violent sure. this isnt disputed. but compared to the worst deep south tornadoes they are regularly surpassed in a multitude of ways.

plus i find it funny that a core inside a wedge can completely sweep away a well anchored home in around 3 to 5 seconds. can you imagine what that would look like if there was no tornado visible and just the wind field/ thermodynamics? ive always wanted to be able to visualise the process of how that happens without the visual imparements from condensation.

my best two guess's is that the house is ripped cleanly off its foundation in mostly one piece by the verticle shear.
or is hit so hard by the wind exceleration that its sheared off sideways before being sucked back into the vortex as it passes over.
cause homes hit by those tornadoes are most likely not going section by section.
its to fast for that and the winds required must be in excess of 280 mph within the core.

im referring to the april 27 2011 ef5's yes.

Reaction score

He also said Greensburg/Trousdale was the strongest of all time on Twitter.

It is quite revealing that all the events on his list, save the Tri-State, occurred on the Great Plains. Any list that does not include Vilonia AR, Smithville MS, Philadelphia MS, Hackleburg AL, Guin AL, Andover KS, Udall KS, Beecher MI, Jarrell TX, Stratton NE, Bakersfield Valley TX, Parkersburg IA, Brandenburg KY, Joplin MO, Mayfield KY, Niles OH/Wheatland PA, and probably Topeka KS, in addition to several other notable events, is necessarily incomplete and thus deficient. Arguably Udall and Mayfield were at least as strong as the Greensburg event, if not stronger, given similar damage to sturdy brick structures. Also, I don’t know why Moore ’13 is so far behind Bridge Creek on his list.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Ruskin Heights did sweep away an anchor-bolted home but it didn't really produce any extremely impressive damage.
4581_3724d7fa733bca87cd9c0f16d9ac2772.jpg

4579_36b5b6d46a308e0084a251fc1867bafd.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
lmao no. greensburg was barely worthy of an ef5 rating. its like, literally just over the edge for ef5 damage. everything else is ef4 to ef3 damage. the velocities where high on radar yeah but there's been tornadoes that blow greensburg out of the water with their velocities.
greensburg has absolutely no chance of being rated ef5 today.
There are some more recently surfaced photos that show Greensburg was a higher end EF5 than I initally thought:
Greensburg-EF5-damage-homes-aerial.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-aerial.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-shrub-debarking.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-debarking3.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-railroad.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-combine.JPG
Greensburg-EF5-damage-home-close.JPG
However I do 100% agree that Greensburg (unfortunately, like most of the official EF5's) would not receive that rating today.

Reaction score
There are some more recently surfaced photos that show Greensburg was a higher end EF5 than I initally thought:
View attachment 11922
View attachment 11923
View attachment 11924
View attachment 11925
View attachment 11926
View attachment 11927
View attachment 11928
However I do 100% agree that Greensburg (unfortunately, like most of the official EF5's) would not receive that rating today.
in that first photo near the bottom right you see homes swept away. a few of these were rated ef5....yet...notice how the trees near them...STILL HAVE THERE LEAVES???? how the heck does that work!!????

Reaction score
View attachment 11922
View attachment 11923
View attachment 11924
View attachment 11925
View attachment 11926
View attachment 11927
View attachment 11928

Two other photos from Greensburg demonstrating this thing was more violent than many people seem to think:

Uy9L8DR.png

FyCgNQl.png

Reaction score
Two other photos from Greensburg demonstrating this thing was more violent than many people seem to think:

View attachment 11929

View attachment 11930
the tornado was very slow moving with a multi vortex structure like joplin. it sat over greensburg for multiple minutes. if the whole thing was violent then there wouldnt have been a single structure left standing in town. its definitely the work of a weak wedge with strong sub vorticies. or maybe not who knows. trying to explain wedge tornado damage as opposed to small tornado damage is much more difficult...

Reaction score
The most impressive contextual damage and ground views of structural damage I could find from the 1957 Ruskin Heights tornado.
98469887_3224164667606266_5958465725252239360_n.png

12080349_10204576311438113_8045103567132698828_o.png

60796545_10156809776771311_742679611611021312_n.jpg

60740101_10156809776781311_298270742674407424_n.png

nuzbot_Tue-May-19-20155.jpg

proxy.png

proxy.png
There used to be a thread dedicated to it, apparently:

Grazulis gives Ruskin Heights an F4 rating, but I don't see why it shouldn't be rated F5, I've never seen these automobile damage pics from it before, really impressive.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Is it just that most of them were ripped from their subflooring instead?
Exactly. The Ruskin Heights neighborhood was built all at once, and all the houses were built the same. Any home that lost its subfloor there sustained the same type of damage as the photo you posted, and there were several. But yes, most were swept from their subfloors.

Logo 468x120
Back