• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Rare photos from the Coldwater tornado showing the Devils Lake Pavilion

What the building looked like before:
a003%5E1964%20shot%20from%20dan%20cherry.JPG

...and after. The poor guy had just rebuilt the building after it had burned in a fire in 1963.
a002%5Epalm%20sunday%20tornado%20damage%201965%20from%20dan%20cherry.JPG

locomusic01

Reaction score
There were also violent & intense tornadoes in Arkansas and Kansas the day before the Palm Sunday outbreak.
Yeah, don't have a whole lot on them but here are some (admittedly poor) photos from the Bean Lake, MO F3:

And the Maysville, MO F2 (more appropriately rated F3 by Grazulis):

And of course the Conway, AR F4:

locomusic01

Reaction score
One more random event for tonight - the March 2, 1906 F4 that struck Meridian, MS. The official death toll was 23, though some accounts put it at nearly twice that. Unfortunately, most of the photos were taken around the Union Station area, which isn't where the very worst damage occurred.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Damage from the Sayler Park OH F5. I just wanted to share some photos I found from some of the lesser-known or more obscure violent tornadoes of the 1974 Super Outbreak. Also, I think I might have found photos showing the F5 damage.

56514037_10214860691735581_5653343861200650240_n.jpg

I’ve never seen any of these. The F5 damage in Sayler Park allegedly occurred where several homes were swept away in a “hilly area near a lake”. Can’t say I’ve seen any photos that match that description, but there’s definitely some impressive damage in those photos above.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Does anybody have photos of damage from the 1942 Oberlin KS Tornado?
That’s literally the one I’m looking into now, actually. Always wanted to find damage photos, as the descriptions sound like the damage was about as extreme as it gets, potentially Jarrell-like.

F4E4416B-29C9-46F2-B11B-CB67E94ECD7C.png

andyhb

Reaction score
As a whole, the 1942 season is generally overlooked. Was definitely one of the most prolific in the pre-1950 era.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm sure Oak Grove 1998 has been discussed in this thread before, but does anyone know why it got an F5 rating? Unless there's something I haven't seen, all of the homes pictured swept away were obviously poorly anchored and the damage to Oak Grove High School could be attributed to a tornado of F4 intensity IMO.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'm sure Oak Grove 1998 has been discussed in this thread before, but does anyone know why it got an F5 rating? Unless there's something I haven't seen, all of the homes pictured swept away were obviously poorly anchored and the damage to Oak Grove High School could be attributed to a tornado of F4 intensity IMO.
Your assessment is accurate. It would have been rated EF4 today, and probably should have been rated F4 back then. I do remember that someone on the old forum mentioned that the 1998 Bham tornado dislodged and swept away a segment of concrete walkway/sidewalk leading to the front door of one obliterated home (kind of like Rochelle/Fairdale 2015 did), though I haven’t heard any other mention of that, nor any photographic evidence, so I have to write it off as a rumor.

Reaction score
Your assessment is accurate. It would have been rated EF4 today, and probably should have been rated F4 back then. I do remember that someone on the old forum mentioned that the 1998 Bham tornado dislodged and swept away a segment of concrete walkway/sidewalk leading to the front door of one obliterated home (kind of like Rochelle/Fairdale 2015 did), though I haven’t heard any other mention of that, nor any photographic evidence, so I have to write it off as a rumor.
I don't think we've posted any damage photographs from this tornado on here before....all the photos I've seen suggest nothing more then mid-range F4, the damage is violent but not incredible or exceptional. NWS Birmingham is one of the better rating agencies but every so often they make mistakes.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Does anybody have photos of damage from the 1942 Oberlin KS Tornado?
I thought I had more photos, but here are a few for now. IIRC, the Decatur County Last Indian Raid Museum has a bunch more photos from that event - may be worth reaching out to them if you're looking for more. I know they've done presentations on it before and I believe maybe made a book at one point?

buckeye05

Reaction score
I thought I had more photos, but here are a few for now. IIRC, the Decatur County Last Indian Raid Museum has a bunch more photos from that event - may be worth reaching out to them if you're looking for more. I know they've done presentations on it before and I believe maybe made a book at one point?

Grazulis mentions that this tornado swept away nearly all debris and several inches of topsoil from farmsteads that it obliterated, and an old newspaper clipping I found said that of the debris that was present, no pieces were larger than match sticks. Sounds like truly extreme damage. I wonder if this was a slow mover like Harper, Jarrell, or Leedey?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Grazulis mentions that this tornado swept away nearly all debris and several inches of topsoil from farmsteads that it obliterated, and an old newspaper clipping I found said that of the debris that was present, no pieces were larger than match sticks. Sounds like truly extreme damage. I wonder if this was a slow mover like Harper, Jarrell, or Leedey?
Yeah, it's been quite a while since I've done any research on it but some of the accounts are pretty striking. IIRC it wasn't especially wide either (1/4 mi?), so I'd imagine it must have been moving very slowly to cause such high-end destruction & debris granulation.

andyhb

Reaction score
I've looked into the setup for the Oberlin tornado before and I don't believe it was particularly slowly moving. There was a strong lee cyclone over eastern Colorado, a large trough centered over the Four Corners, 700 mb winds in the range of 40-50 kts, and I'm guessing storm motions were at least 30-40 mph.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One completely forgotten tornado is the 12/13/1954 Jacksonville FL tornado. This strong but brief tornado touched down at the Craig Airport. Part of the 5" thick asphalt runway was scoured, a jeep was tossed 200 yards, the service administration building was destroyed, and a tied-down P-40 plane was thrown a half-mile with the 1500 lb propeller and gear section being carried 500 yards.
Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 20-56-22 Sci-Hub Jacksonville Tornado Weatherwise, 9(3), 80–82 10 108...png
Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 20-55-47 Sci-Hub Jacksonville Tornado Weatherwise, 9(3), 80–82 10 108...png

Logo 468x120
Back