• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

zvl5316

Reaction score
Are high voltage towers built to the same code in that region as they are in the United States? I have some doubts about that.
I think more investigation is still needed to check whether this high-voltage tower damage is similar to that in Bowdle EF4 or Somky Mountain EF4. This kind of tower damage isn't the first time in China. In March 26, 1967, a violent and mysterious tornado swept suburb of Shanghai and destroyed 22 high-voltage towers. Some towers were even pulled out with 2.2m-long pile foundations.
捕获.PNG

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I think more investigation is still needed to check whether this high-voltage tower damage is similar to that in Bowdle EF4 or Somky Mountain EF4. This kind of tower damage isn't the first time in China. In March 26, 1967, a violent and mysterious tornado swept suburb of Shanghai and destroyed 22 high-voltage towers. Some towers were even pulled out with 2.2m-long pile foundations.
View attachment 9984
Wasn’t that tornado apart of a large outbreak?

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I found high-resolution aerial imagery from the Hodonin tornado.
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

buckeye05

Reaction score
I do wonder how many weak or rural tornadoes go unrecorded in China each year.
Based on the amount of strong tornadoes and vast rural areas in that country, one would infer that the amount of undocumented weak tornadoes occurring yearly in China is very high.

If more regional survey teams are put together, we might get a better idea of the true extent of yearly tornado activity that occurs there.

zvl5316

Reaction score
Wasn’t that tornado apart of a large outbreak?
In official account, on March 26, 1967 a supercell (described as tornadic cyclone) generated 13 tornadoes in north Zhejiang Province and suburb Shanghai. There was also F3+ tornado blew down the high-voltage tower and destroy the whole village in Zhejiang. 87 were killed and hundreds were injuried.

Reaction score
Transmission towers being ripped out of the ground and being tossed long distances is something that only a few tornadoes have accomplished such as 2010 Bowdle. Though I don't see it getting anything higher than low-end EF4 due to the lack of higher-capable DIs unless if it hit some homes

I know Ethridge, TN encountered 6 TVA transmission towers and reportedly 3 were never found (likely tossed into deep valleys or ravines) and it receive an F4 rating. So it's definitely possible but doesn't seem to happen all that often.

Last edited:

locomusic01

Reaction score
Bit OT, but does anybody know what's up with the SPC outbreak browser?

The interface loads but it won't return any data. Worked last time I used it but that was a couple weeks ago. Hopefully just a temporary hiccup because it's super convenient to have so much info in one place.

Edit: Nevermind, it's not playing nice w/Chrome but on Firefox it seems to be pulling everything up correctly.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I'd love to see a very detailed study and damage survey of the Hodonin F4. Apparently there was quite a bit of F4 damage found, with the worst being in northeast Hodonin where that bus was thrown and trees were cleanly debarked. I'd really like to learn more details about what else was found.

If anyone finds a PDF we can dig into, please post it here!

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I'd love to see a very detailed study and damage survey of the Hodonin F4. Apparently there was quite a bit of F4 damage found, with the worst being in northeast Hodonin where that bus was thrown and trees were cleanly debarked. I'd really like to learn more details about what else was found.

If anyone finds a PDF we can dig into, please post it here!
Where did you find the information about the worst damage being in Hodonin?

buckeye05

Reaction score
Where did you find the information about the worst damage being in Hodonin?
On the WTINFO Tornado Research page on Facebook. I translated some text below the pic of those completely debarked trees in Hodonin, and it said that damage surveyors determined that this was the area of peak intensity, and found entire groves of completely debarked trees within that vicinity. My guess as to why, is that the drill-bit phase it went though while striking Hodonin likely was able to concentrate the most intense winds down to ground level.

Interestingly enough, the tornado widened again in and around the tiny village of Panov, which is past Hodonin and the last town it struck. The damage in Panov got very little media attention compared to the other five towns it hit. Aerial views of tree damage in this area suggest that the tornado had a second wedge phase before it dissipated, which is rather unusual. Below is and aerial photo of the damage in Panov, along with the only video I could find of the tornado while it was in this area:

Panov 3.PNG

Last edited:

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
On the WTINFO Tornado Research page on Facebook. I translated some text below the pic of those completely debarked trees in Hodonin, and it said that damage surveyors determined that this was the area of peak intensity, and found entire groves of completely debarked trees within that vicinity. My guess as to why, is that the drill-bit phase it went though while striking Hodonin likely was able to concentrate the most intense winds down to ground level.

Interestingly enough, the tornado widened again in and around the tiny village of Panov, which is past Hodonin and the last town it struck. The damage in Panov got very little media attention compared to the other five towns it hit. Aerial views of tree damage in this area suggest that the tornado had a second wedge phase before it dissipated, which is rather unusual. Below is and aerial photo of the damage in Panov, along with the only video I could find of the tornado while it was in this area:

View attachment 9985

Closeup aerial view of Panov:
unknown.png

Some cleanup has taken place

buckeye05

Reaction score
Closeup aerial view of Panov:
unknown.png

Some cleanup has taken place
I wish there were close ups of the houses where those empty slabs are. It's hard to say, but it looks like they may have been leveled judging by the aerial photo I posted. Too far away to tell for sure though.

Back