• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Does anyone here have information about the 1958 Hanchuan tornado or the 1977 Huanggang tornado?
In 1977, Huanggang tornado was an event with few pictures for us. On that day, a tornado broke out. There were at least three tornadoes in total. The tornado that attacked Huanggang completely destroyed a school auditorium and killed 76 people. Another tornado threw a 2.5-ton oil tank 200 meters away and destroyed the tractor

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The damage from the Wuhan tornado looks at least EF2-EF3 intensity in nature:
W020210515130954174270.png

001R0E0aly1gqihk8y2z4j61400u01l202.png

001R0E0aly1gqihk8wshqj61400u01l102.png

Damage from the Shengze tornado:
unknown.png

27a815e0c0e3c7dde14359e5e51ea626.png

unknown.png

pohnpei

Reaction score
Does the Wuhan radar have CC data? It would to be interesting to know what the TDS height was.
As far as I know, there was no dual polarization radar in Wuhan where tornado like this level was not very often to see in this aera. Dual polarization radar usually built in Jiangsu Province here. But I think it's safe to say a deep CC would showed up If there were dual polarization radar based on the damage we saw now.
Besides, another strong tornado hit Jiaxing Zhejiang Province and yet another likely tornado touch down in Nanjing Jiangsu Province.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
2018 was a crazy year for tornadoes in Wyoming. 3 EF3s occurred during the year in that state.

6/1/2018 Oriva Hills Subdivision EF3:
A 136 mph EF3 tornado moved through a subdivision of homes NW of Gillette. Numerous homes were damaged or destroyed and a dual-axle dump truck was tossed 250 yards.

6/6/2018 Laramie EF3:
This photogenic tornado moved through rural areas north of Laramie WY. Several steel poles were bent 90 degrees at the base and grass was scoured in a 1/3 mile wide swath. In some areas, grass was scoured to bare soil. This tornado was also accompanied by an EF2 satellite.

unknown.png

7/28/2018 Sheep Mountain EF3:
An intense tornado moved through rural areas on the northern slopes of the Laramie Mountains. Large cottonwood trees were stripped of all but the largest limbs while some smaller trees were partially debarked, a hut metal tractor building was completely destroyed with debris being carried off, and 7000 lb horse trailers were carried off with only one of the axles being found.

Reaction score
2018 was a crazy year for tornadoes in Wyoming. 3 EF3s occurred during the year in that state.

A 136 mph EF3 tornado moved through a subdivision of homes NW of Gillette. Numerous homes were damaged or destroyed and a dual-axle dump truck was tossed 250 yards.

6/6/2018 Laramie EF3:
This photogenic tornado moved through rural areas north of Laramie WY. Several steel poles were bent 90 degrees at the base and grass was scoured in a 1/3 mile wide swath. In some areas, grass was scoured to bare soil. This tornado was also accompanied by an EF2 satellite.

unknown.png

An intense tornado moved through rural areas on the northern slopes of the Laramie Mountains. Large cottonwood trees were stripped of all but the largest limbs while some smaller trees were partially debarked, a hut metal tractor building was completely destroyed with debris being carried off, and 7000 lb horse trailers were carried off with only one of the axles being found.

It's been a while since I've heard of violent tornadoes in Wyoming. I know Cheyenne was struck by an F3 back in the 70s that may actually have achieved F4 intensity, which is really impressive for a tornado that far west. I wonder what the most intense tornado recorded out west is (aside from the Grand Teton-Yellowstone tornado of 1987). Also, I didn't realize that grass/soil scouring was documented in some of these, really impressive for a western state tornado.

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, this is really random and only very tangentially related to the topic, but whatever. I was just talking to a guy who lived near New Waterford, OH in 1985 when the tornado hit and totally destroyed his home + garage/tool shop. He mentioned that he had a large air compressor that weighed around a thousand pounds and was anchored to the slab. Apparently it was torn out and thrown into a creek a few hundred yards away.

That was pretty impressive, especially for an F3 tornado (officially), but this is where I go way off-track. I was curious how he went about anchoring the compressor considering the vibration they produce, so I asked him. The secret? Hockey pucks. He drilled them and ran the concrete anchors through them, basically turning them into jumbo-sized anti-vibration washers. And apparently this is like a whole thing that a lot of people do. Maybe I'm just easily amused (in fact, I'm quite sure I am) but I was very happy to learn that.

buckeye05

Reaction score

6/6/2018 Laramie EF3:

unknown.png

Yeah with that kind of grass scouring, I find it highly unlikely that the Laramie tornado was only an EF3. While this tornado was slow-moving, there wasn’t really any significant debris loading to speak of, yet it left only bare soil in some areas. That’s impressive.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Yeah with that kind of grass scouring, I find it highly unlikely that the Laramie tornado was only an EF3. While this tornado was slow-moving, there wasn’t really any significant debris loading to speak of, yet it left only bare soil in some areas. That’s impressive.
I mean when the radar shows this type of mesocyclone on velocity, it's usually pretty safe to assume it was higher than EF3

20180606.png

zvl5316

Reaction score
I wonder if there were more tornadoes in China today as there were some nasty supercells.

Currently no confirmed tornadoes yet. I think 3 problems cause the difficulty in investigate and statistic of tornadoes in China: First, most of today's TVSs happened in mountainous areas. Also, nearlly all professional tornado investigators in China are currently busy in Wuhan & Shengze and there is not a mature network to report tornado and downburst areas in China. And lastly, fallen trees that can best indicate tornadic wind patterns in rural areas are usually quickly cleaned up and purchased in rural areas of China…… I guess there were definitely some weak tornadoes yesterday but they could be hardly indentified.

Back