• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120
Reaction score

Some Loyal Valley tornado damage pics.

I remember seeing a couple photographs of those vehicles in Storm Data but from different angles, I'd love to find more pictures from this event. There appears to be massive hillside scouring in the photograph with the blue car, and the tree damage is pretty crazy but this still doesn't seem to be as intense as Jarrell (the topsoil isn't scoured up to 18 inches all over the place). Still, awesome to have pictures from this event.

Robinson lee

Reaction score
I remember seeing a couple photographs of those vehicles in Storm Data but from different angles, I'd love to find more pictures from this event. There appears to be massive hillside scouring in the photograph with the blue car, and the tree damage is pretty crazy but this still doesn't seem to be as intense as Jarrell (the topsoil isn't scoured up to 18 inches all over the place). Still, awesome to have pictures from this event.
At present, we still know little about the loyal Valley tornado. We are not very clear about the scouring of loyal valley. I would like to say that different land features can not be compared horizontally, because soil moisture and vegetation will affect the scouring intensity of tornado, but Jarrell and loyal valley are undoubtedly extremely violent tornadoes. There is no doubt about this

WhirlingWx

Reaction score
Wow, those pictures are just incredible. May 11 seems to be a pretty notable violent tornado day in TX history. 1953 San Angelo + Waco (though I am well aware and in agreement over the skepticism expressed here over its F5 rating), 1970 Lubbock, and 1999 Loyal Valley.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The main reason I believe North Minneapolis should have been rated EF2 has less to do with the structural damage and more to do with this:
iu

EF2 rated damage in Jonesboro, Arkansas from March 2020:
iu

iu

EF2 rated damage near Moreno Valley, California from March 2008:
iu

EF2 rated damage near Flagstaff, Arizona from October 2010:
iu

Marshal79344

Reaction score
I've managed to dig up several older photos from the Tri-State Tornado of 1925, but most of them are lower quality. I'm trying to find higher quality photos, as they would definitely reveal key details about it's damage.

Murphysboro

19250318MURPHYSBORO43.PNG

19250318MURPHYSBORO44.PNG19250318MURPHYSBORO41.jpg

The Railroad Shops at Murphysboro were decimated

19250318MURPHYSBORO34.jpg
19250318MURPHYSBORO35.jpg

Another Scene Nearby with the Longfellow School

19250318MURPHYSBORO33.jpg

Parrish

19250318PARRISH2.PNG

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
One of the most violent and deadly tornado outbreaks in history is the 3/16/1942 Central-Southern US outbreak.

St. Joseph IL F4:
This tornado devastated rural areas north of St. Joseph. Entire farms were swept away and 11 people were killed. The concrete walls at one farmhouse caved in as it was swept away.
alvin_damage.png

champaign_damage.png

unknown.png

Itta Bena-Tula MS F4:
This VLT family of intense-violent tornadoes tore through rural areas and towns in north-central Mississippi. School buses were thrown up to 50 yards, numerous homes were leveled or swept away, cars were carried up to 300 yards and mangled, and thousands of trees were uprooted/snapped. 63 people were killed.

Lacon IL F5:
What was the only F5 tornado of this outbreak according to Grazulis struck the town of Lacon IL. Many homes were completely swept away, debris was carried 25 miles, and trees were denuded. 7 people were killed.
tribune_lacon2.png

tribune_lacon1.jpg

42tornado11.jpg

Sandy Hill TN F3:
This very intense and probably violent tornado struck Sandy Hill and many other small rural communities. In one area, a home was swept away along the surrounding soil. Many other homes were destroyed and 5 people were killed.

Bethel Springs TN F4:
A large and violent tornado moved through rural areas near Bethel Springs. This was a very violent but poorly-documented tornado. Rural homes and farm buildings literally vanished and forests were leveled. 15 people were killed.

Baldwyn MS F4:
This tornado leveled large homes in the northern part of Baldwyn. Another tornado (F3) would tear through downtown Baldwyn ~35 minutes later. 5 people were killed by the F4.

Browder KY F3:
An intense tornado moved through the devastated the mining town of Browder. About a dozen small homes were swept away. 11 people were killed.

Millwood KY F4:
This long-tracked and violent tornado struck rural areas in Grayson/Hardin Counties. Homes were completely swept away. 9 people were killed.

Cox's Creek KY F3:
An intense tornado tore across rural Nelson County. Rural homes were leveled, a 150-ft steel bridge was destroyed with girders being thrown several hundred yards, a school bus was mangled, a brick church was nearly leveled, and trees were denuded.
t42f.jpg

cjtornadopic1.jpg

cjtornadopic2.jpg

cjtornadopic3.jpg

t42c.jpg

t42a.jpg

Goshen IN F4:
The last violent tornado of the day cut through the SE Goshen. Near the end of it's track, a home was swept away. 2 people were killed.
https://www.abc57.com/news/1942-goshen-tornado-proves-severe-weather-can-happen-at-any-time

Reaction score
At present, we still know little about the loyal Valley tornado. We are not very clear about the scouring of loyal valley. I would like to say that different land features can not be compared horizontally, because soil moisture and vegetation will affect the scouring intensity of tornado, but Jarrell and loyal valley are undoubtedly extremely violent tornadoes. There is no doubt about this
Here's a picture of it's radar signature....pretty impressive:

Tornado.png

Back