• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
I believe the San Angelo/Lakeview tornado was stronger than the Waco tornado. 15 square blocks were virtually leveled with multiple homes being swept away in near-F5 fashion.

Tornado-18_1525953859120_42204047_ver1.0-1.jpg

LV20Tornado_008_1525953837435.jpg_42204026_ver1.0.jpg

Reaction score
I believe the San Angelo/Lakeview tornado was stronger than the Waco tornado. 15 square blocks were virtually leveled with multiple homes being swept away in near-F5 fashion.

Tornado-18_1525953859120_42204047_ver1.0-1.jpg

LV20Tornado_008_1525953837435.jpg_42204026_ver1.0.jpg

Yeah, I've never understood the F5 rating for Waco. Supposedly it did F5 damage on the outer skirts of the city limits of Waco and the areas it went through before Waco but I've never found any evidence for that. Yeah, San Angelo was likely the most intense tornado from that oubreak; I've tread to find damage photographs from it before but haven't had much luck until now. Really impressive ground photos in particular; looks like intense ground scouring and tree debarking in some photographs

locomusic01

Reaction score
Hey, so this is probably a long shot, but does anyone here happen to live in Ohio? Like specifically anywhere near Trumbull County? Trying to get some pictures but I might have to pick them up in person. Not really looking forward to driving literally the entire length of PA lol

buckeye05

Reaction score
Hey, so this is probably a long shot, but does anyone here happen to live in Ohio? Like specifically anywhere near Trumbull County? Trying to get some pictures but I might have to pick them up in person. Not really looking forward to driving literally the entire length of PA lol
I live in Ohio, but I’m nowhere near the PA border unfortunately. Used to drive to Pittsburgh a lot though. Are you trying to meet in the middle somewhere?

locomusic01

Reaction score
Hopefully I can just talk the woman through scanning them (or she can get someone to scan them for her or whatever), but if not, I figured I'd see if anyone lives in the immediate area and might be willing to pick them up. Not a big deal if I have to go get them, though. Might end up going out that way sometime this summer anyway.

Reaction score
Hopefully I can just talk the woman through scanning them (or she can get someone to scan them for her or whatever), but if not, I figured I'd see if anyone lives in the immediate area and might be willing to pick them up. Not a big deal if I have to go get them, though. Might end up going out that way sometime this summer anyway.
If it's Niles-Wheatland photos you're after there's a ton already available here (at least for the Ohio portion of the path):

locomusic01

Reaction score
Yeah I know, thanks. I'm after specific photos that are important to the story. Actually not sure exactly what all this woman has, but I always start out by just sort of tracking down and hoarding as much as I can.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Nick from TornadoTalk might know some people

Reaction score
Yeah I know, thanks. I'm after specific photos that are important to the story. Actually not sure exactly what all this woman has, but I always start out by just sort of tracking down and hoarding as much as I can.
Good idea, I know there's tons of pics from the Ohio portion of the path but not so much the Pennsylvania portion, which is intriguing as the tornado seems to have been at peak intensity while going through that state.
I also have some photos involving the Moshannon State Forest tornado damage if you're interested, although you might already know of them.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The 5/22/2011 Minneapolis tornado was obviously overlooked because of its big brother in Joplin, however here are some damage pics I found.
iu

Homes suffering partial to complete roof loss.

iu

More damage to homes and lots of downed trees

iu

A damaged car and debris piled beneath a destroyed restaurant sign

iu

A bumper of a car impaled by a piece of debris

iu

Train derailed

What do you guys think? Was the EF1 rating appropriate or should this tornado have been rated EF2?

buckeye05

Reaction score
From what I remember, they went with EF1 because they felt that the tree damage wasn’t consistent with an EF2. I don’t agree though personally, given that homes multiple houses lost their entire roof structures. Videos of this tornado show a pretty formidable-looking wedge too.

Reaction score
From what I remember, they went with EF1 because they felt that the tree damage wasn’t consistent with an EF2. I don’t agree though personally, given that homes multiple houses lost their entire roof structures. Videos of this tornado show a pretty formidable-looking wedge too.

IIRC that outbreak also produced a very (for the region) long-track tornado in Wisconsin. The upper Midwest portion of the outbreak was focused frustratingly far north and west, in the most awful chase terrain possible, like nearly all of the daylight significant tornado events in the state have been for many years.

Marshal79344

Reaction score
IIRC that outbreak also produced a very (for the region) long-track tornado in Wisconsin. The upper Midwest portion of the outbreak was focused frustratingly far north and west, in the most awful chase terrain possible, like nearly all of the daylight significant tornado events in the state have been for many years.
Yeah there were some VLT significant tornadoes in that area from that outbreak, which were rated EF2 I think on the same day as the Joplin Tornado

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
The 5/22/2011 Minneapolis tornado was obviously overlooked because of its big brother in Joplin, however here are some damage pics I found.
iu

Homes suffering partial to complete roof loss.

iu

More damage to homes and lots of downed trees

iu

A damaged car and debris piled beneath a destroyed restaurant sign

iu

A bumper of a car impaled by a piece of debris

iu

Train derailed

What do you guys think? Was the EF1 rating appropriate or should this tornado have been rated EF2?
I believe an EF1 rating was applied because the roofs had poor attachment.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I also have some photos involving the Moshannon State Forest tornado damage if you're interested, although you might already know of them.
I expected that'd probably be one of the harder tornadoes to find photos & info on, but I've got a bunch of stuff. An ex-girlfriend of mine actually works for the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, and it turns out her boss knows one of the guys who actually inspected the damage and whatnot. Apparently they had to close a number of popular trails for good because the damage was just too severe & extensive.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Nevermind this btw - one of the woman's grandkids is going to scan the photos for her.

Here is a Web site hosting many photographs of the 2 Apr 1957 Dallas TX F3 tornado.
Obviously overshadowed by Dallas, but a few of the tornadoes that day were pretty significant. An F3 near Springer, OK blew over a 350-ft TV tower, threw a number of cars hundreds of yards from US-77 and killed one person in a truck that was badly damaged. Reports said the truck was crushed by the tower, but I'm not sure about the logistics on that:

An F4 near Cumberland destroyed a number of homes and killed two people:

And another F4 tornado caused very heavy damage in Calera and Durant. In Calera, it destroyed a drive-in theater (first photo), which is what inspired the famous scene in Twister.

Reaction score
Nevermind this btw - one of the woman's grandkids is going to scan the photos for her.

Obviously overshadowed by Dallas, but a few of the tornadoes that day were pretty significant. An F3 near Springer, OK blew over a 350-ft TV tower, threw a number of cars hundreds of yards from US-77 and killed one person in a truck that was badly damaged. Reports said the truck was crushed by the tower, but I'm not sure about the logistics on that:

An F4 near Cumberland destroyed a number of homes and killed two people:

And another F4 tornado caused very heavy damage in Calera and Durant. In Calera, it destroyed a drive-in theater (first photo), which is what inspired the famous scene in Twister.

That second pic from Cumberland....is that paper lodged into a telephone pole? If so, that's unbelievable.

Logo 468x120
Back