• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

NWS Tulsa put together a wonderful GIS page covering the 4/12/1945 outbreak in OK, which included the devastating Antlers tornado.
Uh this photograph in that slide is actually from the Colfax WI tornado I think.
1619814327981.png

locomusic01

Reaction score
Uh this photograph in that slide is actually from the Colfax WI tornado I think.
View attachment 9374
They 100% are lol

9BncLMI.jpg

nAZZfSD.jpg

Incidentally, they were taken pretty close to where a car was wrapped around this steel and concrete bridge. Pretty impressive:

XvfN40z.jpg

kprupjy.png

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

This environment produced a family of at least 4 tornadoes. One or two of these tornadoes were reportedly pretty intense. A 1322 lb pump machine was thrown 60 yards, numerous trees were debarked, a high school consisted of two 65-foot-high single-span reinforced concrete structures was mostly leveled, another small single-span concrete structure was blown down, people were reportedly carried up to nearly a mile, large palm trees were uprooted or snapped, a 711 square foot house consisting of brick walls and concrete pillars collapsed, large chunks of concrete were carried over 100 yards, and numerous weak homes were completely leveled.
WARNING: There are a few scenes that show dead bodies or injured people

buckeye05

Reaction score
The damage honestly makes me believe it undoubtedly had EF5 potential
Yeah I agree honestly. I read that article too and that thing was absolutely a high-end event. The 170 MPH wind estimate they assigned is ridiculous. Yet another ridiculously low-balled rating from MEG.

NWS Dallas/Fort Worth and NWS Springfield are also really, really bad about doing that too.

Reaction score
Yeah I agree honestly. I read that article too and that thing was absolutely a high-end event. The 170 MPH wind estimate they assigned is ridiculous. Yet another ridiculously low-balled rating from MEG.

NWS Dallas/Fort Worth and NWS Springfield are also really, really bad about doing that too.

They write that they consider the Holly Springs Motorsports Park "the most impressive tornado damage in 2015," a year which also included Rochelle.

Reaction score

Would you say it should have been rated at least a high-end EF4? I never knew how violent that tornado was until now.

Reaction score
Due to my interest in the 1984 Soviet Union Outbreak, I dug up some more Russian videos of tornadoes on YouTube:

1. This is another tornado that apparently hit Kostroma in 2003:

2. A documentary on the 1984 outbreak, which emphasis on Ivanovo, I assume. Some impressive photos of mangled automobiles (probably the most intense auto damage I've seen outside of North & South America, really) and some photos of leveled forests:

3. So this last video I'm not sure of the location (might not be Russia) but it's definitely foreign so I'm including it there. This is EXTREMELY impressive up-close footage of a tornado tearing through a greenhouse area.

Brice Wood

Reaction score
Rochelle and Holly Springs are definite contender that could’ve been EF5s, I understand Holly springs was more violent than most people thought but Rochelle to me, beats it as a better contender to be an EF5 tornado

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
What was one of the strongest tornadoes in German history struck the villages/towns of Lind, Süchteln, Anrath, and Krefeld on July 1, 1891. Numerous homes were leveled with some possibly being swept away, entire farms were "shattered," hundreds of trees were uprooted or snapped, floors and large pieces of debris were carried for hundreds of yards, and a new hall was swept away.

Gastst%C3%A4tte_Dommers_nach_dem_Tornado_vom_1._Juli_1891_%28Haus_Reinartz_im_Rade%29.jpg

18910701lind_schaden1.jpg

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
2. A documentary on the 1984 outbreak, which emphasis on Ivanovo, I assume. Some impressive photos of mangled automobiles (probably the most intense auto damage I've seen outside of North & South America, really) and some photos of leveled forests:
This was an interesting video. I hadn't seen most of that footage before. Not sure why it says 1985 instead of 1984. I thought it was just a typo, but even the narrator says 1985.

I noticed that the recommended videos brought up another one I had seen before but maybe some others haven't seen it. This one has the right date thankfully.

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
What was likely one of the most intense tornadoes in Japanese history struck the town of Mobara on 12/11/1990. Up to 1312 yards in width, this tornado completely destroyed 82 homes (some "wooden houses were destroyed without a trace") and damaged over 161 other homes. A 10-ton dump truck was thrown. Fujita gave this tornado an F4 rating.
content

1619905067697.png
1619905126163.png

Last edited:
Logo 468x120
Back