• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

buckeye05

Reaction score
Pretty impressive ground scouring, but I never noticed the potential pavement scouring with Katie-Wynnewood until now. It's hard to say for sure, but it does look like they drove over a patch of scoured pavement at 8:30 seconds in the Basehunters video. Hard to say for absolutely certain though, and you would think the damage survey would have mentioned pavement scouring. However, the Canton Lake, OK of 2011 produced pavement scouring which was completely left out of the survey information , so who knows.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Katie-Wynnewood tornado had some of the most violent rotation I've ever seen. I realize that the eye test isn't very scientific, but watching it was really stunning.

Reaction score
Talking about Katie–Wynnewood EF4 tornado, besides the car damage, EF4 house damage on NWS website, low level shrub debarking and potential asphalt souring in Basehunters's video, the groind souring as well as some debris loading pattern of this tornado was remarkable. I guess if it strike a town at its peak, it would be ugly. In terms of Sulphur tornado, I can't find anything clearly violent but the DOW7/RaxPol reading at near ground level says everything.
View attachment 3653View attachment 3654View attachment 3655

What is that third picture of? It looks like the twisted frame of a mobile home.

Reaction score
Many of you probably saw this, but the Wynnewood tornado appeared in one of Joe Exotic's videos as seen on Tiger King. There was also another tornado near Wynnewood on May 19, 2010, which despite that being a high risk day was only an EF1.

Reaction score
I feel like sometimes it is in our nature to want to deny construction flaws and want tornadoes to be rated higher than they deserve.
I remember how the rating for Tuscaloosa ignited some controversy because they revealed the poor quality of construction and lack of enforcement and shortcuts taken with building safety codes (particularly houses). There's a PDF file out there somewhere that ranked each of the 50 states on a scale of 1 to 100 in terms of construction quality & building code safety & MS and AL scored the lowest.

Last edited:

buckeye05

Reaction score
The Joplin tornado, despite the controversy (which was based on an engineering survey team who had NO meteorological background or understanding of the EF scale, tornado damage hallmarks in general, or how tornadoes affect structures, and is essentially a load of crap that should be completely ignored) DID produce legitimate EF5 damage. However, most of it was done to St. John's Medical Center (pic 1), a very large multi-floor structure, which sustained deformation of its concrete frame, with unrepairable damage to its underpinning system and foundation, leaving it structurally compromised to the point where it needed to be torn down. That is remarkable damage and I think many don't understand how insane that is. It's the most extreme damage to a high-rise building I've ever heard of. Yes, even more impressive than Lubbock 1970. A nearby, very well-built two story medical office building (pics 2 and 3) had it's entire second floor vanish, and was essentially stripped down to it's internal frame and structure on the first floor, with twisting of the main support beams and total structural collapse in some areas. A reinforced concrete step and floor structure leading to this building was also deformed and cracked. Both of these structures sustained EF5 damage, just not in the typical "homes swept away" way that most of us picture when it comes to EF5 damage.
rN8dWDQ.jpg

4qRbqbH.png

7CpGNA7.jpg

In addition, the Joplin tornado DID produce genuine EF5 damage to a few houses as well, contrary to popular belief. The best example was this one, which was again near St. John's Medical Center. It was well-built, and anchor bolted to a poured concrete basement foundation. One of the concrete basement walls was actually blown outward. Keep in mind that this was poured concrete, not your typical cinder-block construction basement wall which can fail rather easily. It takes an unbelievable amount of force to crack and collapse a poured concrete basement wall. Remarkable.
eHwKIdg.png

fONxlYS.png

So in summary, yes the Joplin tornado caused genuine EF5 damage, and its not really debatable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a feeling these tornadoes that dig into the earth for 12 + inches have got to be extremely violent. That one case and point in addition to these photos, the Philadelphia, MS tornado and even the Kelwood MB tornado which dug over 18 inches in some areas.
I remember a video shot by Reed Timmer where it was possible to see (for a brief moment) a rapidly rotating and dissipating suction vortex when a wedge tornado was touching down; they last only seconds but are extremely violent and pack what are likely the fastest winds on Earth.

pohnpei

Reaction score
The Joplin tornado, despite the controversy (which was based on an engineering survey team who had NO meteorological background or understanding of the EF scale, tornado damage hallmarks in general, or how tornadoes affect structures, and is essentially a load of crap that should be completely ignored) DID produce legitimate EF5 damage. However, most of it was done to St. John's Medical Center (pic 1), a very large multi-floor structure, which sustained deformation of its concrete frame, with unrepairable damage to its underpinning system and foundation, leaving it structurally compromised to the point where it needed to be torn down. That is remarkable damage and I think many don't understand how insane that is. It's the most extreme damage to a high-rise building I've ever heard of. Yes, even more impressive than Lubbock 1970. A nearby, very well-built two story medical office building (pics 2 and 3) had it's entire second floor vanish, and was essentially stripped down to it's internal frame and structure on the first floor, with twisting of the main support beams and total structural collapse in some areas. A reinforced concrete step and floor structure leading to this building was also deformed and cracked. Both of these structures sustained EF5 damage, just not in the typical "homes swept away" way that most of us picture when it comes to EF5 damage.
rN8dWDQ.jpg

4qRbqbH.png

7CpGNA7.jpg

In addition, the Joplin tornado DID produce genuine EF5 damage to a few houses as well, contrary to popular belief. The best example was this one, which was again near St. John's Medical Center. It was well-built, and anchor bolted to a poured concrete basement foundation. One of the concrete basement walls was actually blown outward. Keep in mind that this was poured concrete, not your typical cinder-block construction basement wall which can fail rather easily. It takes an unbelievable amount of force to crack and collapse a poured concrete basement wall. Remarkable.
eHwKIdg.png

fONxlYS.png

So in summary, yes the Joplin tornado caused genuine EF5 damage, and its not really debatable.
I remembered there was an article written by an engineering survey team claimed that 00Tuscaloosa was actually an F2 tornado. It may not meet EF4 standard nowadays but F2 rating was really hard to understand. I'm not sure if it was the same team surveyed Joplin EF5.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I remembered there was an article written by an engineering survey team claimed that 00Tuscaloosa was actually an F2 tornado. It may not meet EF4 standard nowadays but F2 rating was really hard to understand. I'm not sure if it was the same team surveyed Joplin EF5.
The 2000 or the 2011 Tuscaloosa tornado? I don't remember that with either but it wouldn't surprise me. With Joplin though, I know that it was a survey team with no meteorological background or prior experience with the EF scale. They were completely unqualified to make such a ridiculous claim, and that survey should not have been given any attention.

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
The 2000 or the 2011 Tuscaloosa tornado? I don't remember that with either but it wouldn't surprise me. With Joplin though, I know that it was a survey team with no meteorological background or prior experience with the EF scale. They were completely unqualified to make such a ridiculous claim, and that survey should not have been given any attention.
Here is the link:http://www.depts.ttu.edu/nwi/Pubs/ReportsJournals/ReportsJournals/D12-16-00-Tor-Tuscaloosa.pdf
It was 2000 Tuscaloosa tornado

pohnpei

Reaction score
Here is the survey information of Chastain Manor Apartment's damage in Tuscaloosa 2011. I believed we have talked about it for many years and this was the most detailed description I have seen about this building.
QQ截图20200123163659.jpgQQ截图20200123163710.jpgQQ截图20200123163725.jpgQQ截图20200123163737.jpgQQ截图20200123163750.jpgQQ截图20200123163759.jpg

pohnpei

Reaction score
Though the car damage of Joplin may not be like El Reno/Andover/Bridge Creek level, it was still easy to find numerous bably mangled cars

I always amazed by this car damage naer Walmart which bent to U-shape and wrapped around a tree by wind. It must need increible wind force to do this.
103_15264_4108744048a6077.jpg
Walmart
313033_1_En_14_Fig6_HTML.jpg
I am very agree on the opinion that Joplin was an EF5 tornado without a doubt. Maybe it was not the most intense damage occured in a morden city like extremplanet said because of the entreme damage made by Moore EF5 2013. Countless completely debarked trees and wind rowing pattern and all the other DIs were all very outstanding things. localmusic01 once had a good writing about Joplin tornado.
5d2ad1883410c88163cc626a75f0384d.jpg
nMzG9 (1).jpg

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
Here is the number of damaged residence per rating in Joplin, I can't find the pictures of each 22 EF5 rating residence.
QQ截图20200529183731.jpg
It was mentioned in the paper that the failure wind speeds at the hospital were likely less than 142mph.
I know Reed Timmer once measured 138.8 mph wind at Aurora, NE on June 17 2009 and 155.2mph wind at Goshen Co WY on June 5 2009. These were 3-3.5m wind not 10m. And there was a 144mph wind measurement at Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay on December 2 2018 which mainly did EF1-2 damage but rated EF3 based on wind measurement. It should be noted that chances of these anemometers happened to record the peak winds during the entire lifecycle of the tornado was extremely small, almost not possible.
I am not wind engineering expert but I will personally guess these tornados above have no chance to make St. Johns Hospital unrepairable and tore down like this.

QQ截图20190221000659.jpg103_72624_7270e246259240f.jpg

Last edited:

pohnpei

Reaction score
A collection of car damages made by Ciudad Acuna Mexico tornado on May 26 2015. There were just too many mangled cars that I can just upload a part of them.
103_23998_1894d0e720fd4f7.jpg143257727188 (1) - 副本.jpg

CF2nmdNUMAE1A-S.jpg
Tornado_Coahuila-Tornado_Acuna-Infonavit-danos_en_Acuna-damnificados_Acuna_MILIMA20150526_0325_8.jpg
45 - 副本.PNG67 - 副本.PNG
127.PNG
23.PNG

en-fotos-tornado-deja-13-muertos-en-ciudad-acuna-coahuila-507-1432589864-size_1000.jpg
1245.PNG

pohnpei

Reaction score
It was quite a weird tornado. Despite the car damage it made, the overall house damage seems not that violent(the tornado seems quite small also)? Maybe because of the heavy material they uesd of their houses? I'm not sure about it.
890.PNGTornado.jpgciudad-acuc3b1a-tronado-rey-rodriguez-9.jpg
I don't know if this was the offical rating of this tornado
653.PNG

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was quite a weird tornado. Despite the car damage it made, the overall house damage seems not that violent(the tornado seems quite small also)? Maybe because of the heavy material they uesd of their houses? I'm not sure about it.
View attachment 3680View attachment 3681View attachment 3682
I don't know if this was the offical rating of this tornado
View attachment 3683
I've been trying to find more information on violent tornadoes in Mexico, this tornado was interesting as it was violent and rain-wrapped. An EF3 tornado struck the town of Eagle Pass, TX which is right across the border from Piedras Negras...be interesting to see if Mexico is more conservative or not when it comes to tornado ratings.

buckeye05

Reaction score
I’d say that Ciudad Acuna was likely violent based on the vehicle damage, and had lower-bound structural damage to to concrete frame construction.

The picture of the red car literally embedded into the road, leaving a crater, is one of the craziest things I’ve seen.

Back