• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
I’d say that Ciudad Acuna was likely violent based on the vehicle damage, and had lower-bound structural damage to to concrete frame construction.

The picture of the red car literally embedded into the road, leaving a crater, is one of the craziest things I’ve seen.
So F4 or EF4 would be appropriate for this tornado in Mexico. Maybe the tornado was incapable of doing F4/EF4 building damage because it was carrying around to many cars to do so. Lol!!!!

Reaction score
That car being embeded into the concrete; I had no clue such a thing was even physically possible. I've heard of cars and trailers making impact craters in soil but not concrete. Good lord.

Reaction score
There was a tornado in Argentina in 1973 that was probably an F5. It was on the ground for 0.62 miles and had a path width of 220 yards. Talk about a short path/lived pretty narrow F5 tornado.

Reaction score
Maybe even a narrow Jarrell like tornado. Sorry it was on the ground for almost 1 mile and was a little over 300 yards wide. Here is some info and I am going to look for some damage photos. Additionally it killed 63 people and injured 350 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Justo_tornado
I posted photos from this earlier in the thread, I have a rather difficult believing (in retrospect) that the tornado had a path length that short. It probably touched down outside and continued outside the city of San Justo for many more miles but likely wasn't documented beyond the city limits.

Reaction score
I posted photos from this earlier in the thread, I have a rather difficult believing (in retrospect) that the tornado had a path length that short. It probably touched down outside and continued outside the city of San Justo for many more miles but likely wasn't documented beyond the city limits.
It is possible or even likely it may have been on the ground for several miles more miles.

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Tornadoes throw the chimneys a kilometer away, blow corn into fibers, and pull up the high-voltage tower with the cement base, causing serious tree damage. It's definitely a very violent tornado

Attachments

• 1582285921863.JPG
    1582285921863.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1589546029155.JPG
    1589546029155.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1582285919803.JPG
    1582285919803.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1582285906436.JPG
    1582285906436.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
Indeed, the San Justo tornado appears to be one of the strongest tornadoes ever recorded outside of the United States. A few good videos:

This is supposed to be a photo of the tornado, but I haven't tried to verify it yet.

Tornado-San-Justo.jpg

Here are some pictures/vid from this same thread one year ago on the Argentina tornado.

Also, a paper on some pretty intense looking tornado tracks found via satellite in South America:

https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/uploads/pers/1988journal/oct/1988_oct_1429-1435.pdf

This was from about a year ago posted on this same thread.

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Some extreme vehicle damage from the Washington tornado on November 17, 2013

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020_0530_234531.png
    Screenshot_2020_0530_234531.png
    909.7 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score
There was a tornado in Argentina in 1973 that was probably an F5. It was on the ground for 0.62 miles and had a path width of 220 yards. Talk about a short path/lived pretty narrow F5 tornado.
Saragosa, TX was hit by an F4 in 1987 that had a path length of only about 3 miles or so but it still managed to kill 27 people and do millions of dollars of damage in a very short time. So there's another candidate for one of the shortest-lived violent tornadoes.

Reaction score
I’m not positive, but that looks more like an AC unit rather than a vehicle.
I think it is. The object laying on the ground in the lower right of the pic looks like the covering from an AC unit, so I think the object wrapped around the tree is one of those large external ones.

Reaction score
Another one of those random tornado notable oddities that I find so fascinating, the West Bend, WI F4. The only violent anticyclonic tornado on record. The most notable (and frightening) thing about this is that the tornado was produced and formed while the storm was weakening, an almost unheard of event.

Reaction score
Saragosa, TX was hit by an F4 in 1987 that had a path length of only about 3 miles or so but it still managed to kill 27 people and do millions of dollars of damage in a very short time. So there's another candidate for one of the shortest-lived violent tornadoes.
The Harper, Kansas tornado of 2004 was on the ground for less than a mile and it caused some of the most extreme damage probably ever documented. I am not sure how anybody could have survived this tornado even in a basement but the people who owned the house that was swept away managed to on a park bench in the basement.

Last edited:
Back