• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Would love to get more information on this thing. Of course, given that it occurred during Communist-era China that is likely hard to come by. I do think China & Mongolia get tornadoes more than we think but it's very difficult to get much information (in English, at least) on them.
This looks like potential F5/EF5 tornado damage.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Forgot about this event, a river cruise ship that was sank & killed 442 people. Depending on what report you read, it was either a tornadic waterspout or downburst that caused the disaster: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_Dongfang_zhi_Xing
There was an EF4 tornado on June 23 2016 killed 99 in China. The max width of this tornado was 4.1KM. There was other articles defined the maximum width reached 4.4KM(no joke). I believed it was the widest tornado outside of US and also one of the strongest. It was like El Reno 2013 or Woodward Ok in China, truely unthinkable event.
12-54-01-001.png12-53-54-054.pngEXucORzWAAElr-Q.jpegEXucNF8XgAAY4DR.jpeg

Reaction score
There was an EF4 tornado on June 23 2016 killed 99 in China. The max width of this tornado was 4.1KM. There was other articles defined the maximum width reached 4.4KM(no joke). It was like El Reno 2013 or Woodward Ok in China, truely unthinkable event.
View attachment 3622View attachment 3623View attachment 3624View attachment 3625
I heard about that tornado and to think it was 2.5 miles--wide and in China is absolutely insane. It also is kind of like the more recent Bassfield/Soso high-end EF4 tornado.

Reaction score
There was an EF4 rating tornado in last year on July 3. Tons of videos on Tiktok documented this event, the number of inside tornado footage really shocked me.
Here was the EF4 rating place, it used to be a cafeteria.
View attachment 3617View attachment 3618View attachment 3620
View attachment 3626
Wiki has it listed as a high-end EF2 or low-end EF3. That damage definitely looks much stronger than that. Complete destruction of a large isolated retail building is at least 170-200 mph.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Another picture from June 23 2016 EF4. The house in(a) and (b) was two storey steel reinforced concrete structue.
13-13-31-031.png
13-34-55-055.jpg
This was when tornado shrinked to only near a mile wide.
13-23-11-011.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
When steel reinforced concrete buildings are badly or severely damage that is an indication of violent tornado damage(EF4 or EF5).
Finding out about rebar concrete pillars being snapped in China is amazing to me. What's interesting is much of the reports about the 1984 Soviet Union tornado outbreak mention the Ivanovo and Kostroma tornadoes completely leveling and sweeping away steel-reinforced concrete structures. Once upon a time I thought these were exaggerations but now I'm not so sure...

Reaction score
Finding out about rebar concrete pillars being snapped in China is amazing to me. What's interesting is much of the reports about the 1984 Soviet Union tornado outbreak mention the Ivanovo and Kostroma tornadoes completely leveling and sweeping away steel-reinforced concrete structures. Once upon a time I thought these were exaggerations but now I'm not so sure...
Yes, most steel-reinforced concrete structures will be completely destroyed with EF4+ tornadoes. That could mean almost completely levelled to even swept away.

Reaction score
Yes, most steel-reinforced concrete structures will be completely destroyed with EF4+ tornadoes. That could mean almost completely leveled to even swept away.
I honestly don't think I've seen a picture of damage like that in America, though. Only from tornadoes outside of the states. Plenty of F5 tornadoes I know of that have occurred in America have leveled and PARTIALLY swept away steel-framed and concrete reinforced structures, but I've never seen stuff like an entire factory made of steel-reinforced conrete and beams being completely swept away in its entirety, at least here in the states. Or maybe I have and just don't recognize it in damage pictures.

Reaction score
I honestly don't think I've seen a picture of damage like that in America, though. Only from tornadoes outside of the states. Plenty of F5 tornadoes I know of that have occurred in America have leveled and PARTIALLY swept away steel-framed and concrete reinforced structures, but I've never seen stuff like an entire factory made of steel-reinforced conrete and beams being completely swept away in its entirety, at least here in the states. Or maybe I have and just don't recognize it in damage pictures.
Yeah, I can't think of any either. The only thing that comes close is the steel-reinforced factory plant that was almost entirely swept away in the Jarrell, Texas tornado on May 27, 1997. Wow, 23 years ago! It has been 23 years since I graduated high school.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't think of any either. The only thing that comes close is the steel-reinforced factory plant that was almost entirely swept away.
Parkersburg and Wheatland partially swept away steel-framed industrial buildings and completely mangled and pushed their steel frames to the ground, but didn't completely sweep away the buildings. Really interesting to see what it takes for a tornado to be so powerful to completely sweep away a building like that and leave nothing but the foundation, perhaps a suction vortice aligns with the inner core of the tornado so multiple gusts of 300+mph wind occur in succession, which could be almost like getting hit at MACH 1.

pohnpei

Reaction score
Some additonal images I can find about this tornado. The tree damage in these pictures was also quite impressive. It was a rain wrapped tornado which also explain part of reason why it was so deadly.(second deadliest tornado in this century)
13-51-41-041.jpg13-45-57-057.jpg13-45-19-019.jpg13-49-12-012.jpg13-48-33-033.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Parkersburg and Wheatland partially swept away steel-framed industrial buildings and completely mangled and pushed their steel frames to the ground, but didn't completely sweep away the buildings. Really interesting to see what it takes for a tornado to be so powerful to completely sweep away a building like that and leave nothing but the foundation, perhaps a suction vortice aligns with the inner core of the tornado so multiple gusts of 300+mph wind occur in succession, which could be almost like getting hit at MACH 1.
I meant to put the Jarrell, Texas tornado swept a steel-reinforced factory almost completely away.

Reaction score
Hey you're right. 1896 Sherman, TX storm supposedly swept away a steel-reinforced bridge but hard to find pics of that.
Another thing I also know is that the May 3, 1999 F5 tornado near Bridge Creek picked up a 26,000 square foot church and left only the slab. Not a steel-reinforced building but still very impressive.

Reaction score
Also I have posted a Hesston, Kansas tornado several times and I think it picked up a 10,000+ square foot building as seen in the vid. Here is the vid again. It is around 2:34 in the vid.

Back