• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, the database of aerial imagery on EarthExplorer looks to include a fair bit of stuff from the 2/21/71 Delta Outbreak - a lot of it taken just a couple of days after the event. It's a bit clunky and I haven't had time to explore it much yet so I'm not sure exactly how much of the outbreak area is covered, but here's the Evanna Plantation area of Cary, MS where over a dozen people were killed. It's very high-resolution so you'll have to zoom in to see much:

6163000600965.jpg

Btw, I did a bit of editing to bring out more detail but I didn't touch the colors - for some reason, some of the source images are just screwy like that.

Anywho, this other one is from the Delhi-Inverness tornado, specifically the little stretch of land between US-80 and Cornist Rd about halfway between Delhi and Waverly. This is roughly the area where 10 people were killed in one family, but I'm not sure if this is the specific property. Would like to research that at some point.

6163000109830.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
So, the database of aerial imagery on EarthExplorer looks to include a fair bit of stuff from the 2/21/71 Delta Outbreak - a lot of it taken just a couple of days after the event. It's a bit clunky and I haven't had time to explore it much yet so I'm not sure exactly how much of the outbreak area is covered, but here's the Evanna Plantation area of Cary, MS where over a dozen people were killed. It's very high-resolution so you'll have to zoom in to see much:

6163000600965.jpg

Btw, I did a bit of editing to bring out more detail but I didn't touch the colors - for some reason, some of the source images are just screwy like that.

Anywho, this other one is from the Delhi-Inverness tornado, specifically the little stretch of land between US-80 and Cornist Rd about halfway between Delhi and Waverly. This is roughly the area where 10 people were killed in one family, but I'm not sure if this is the specific property. Would like to research that at some point.

6163000109830.jpg
TornadoTalk has an article on the LA portion of Inverness

Marshal79344

Reaction score
So I had a bit of free time on my hands and I kind of nerded out and mapped an event that I've always been interested in: The May 9th, 1933 Beatty Swamps, TN Tornado.

Turns out that Grazulis entirely screwed up the track. As opposed to moving NE as Grazulis stated, the tornado, in alignment with reanalysis data, was reported by local newspapers to have moved directly east. Newspapers have the tornado tracking for just 11 miles, but I bet that it tracked for longer than that given that there is very rural forest terrain directly east and west of the worst affected areas.

I've been trying to track down high-resolution photos for this thing for a while now but I still haven't succeeded which is kind of unfortunate, as the grainy images we do have show very impressive damage.

Overton1933.png

Reaction score
Yeah, somebody mentioned it here the other day. It's on my reading list whenever I get around to renewing my subscription.

6163000600965.jpg

6163000109830.jpg

Stuff I got on it:

TornadoTalk also has a bunch of aerials that are declassified CIA imagery taken over the area months after the event; the gash of the tornado's core could be seen in a damaged pecan grove and some tree lines in the area. I wanted to post those photos bad but they had the TornadoTalk logo on them. So CIA aerials might be another area of interest for damage photos. Also, I'm still waiting on the part 2 for this tornado.

Reaction score
TornadoTalk has an article on the LA portion of Inverness

6163000600965.jpg

6163000109830.jpg
Have you been able to find anything on Guin with EarthExplorer?

Reaction score
So I had a bit of free time on my hands and I kind of nerded out and mapped an event that I've always been interested in: The May 9th, 1933 Beatty Swamps, TN Tornado.

Turns out that Grazulis entirely screwed up the track. As opposed to moving NE as Grazulis stated, the tornado, in alignment with reanalysis data, was reported by local newspapers to have moved directly east. Newspapers have the tornado tracking for just 11 miles, but I bet that it tracked for longer than that given that there is very rural forest terrain directly east and west of the worst affected areas.

I've been trying to track down high-resolution photos for this thing for a while now but I still haven't succeeded which is kind of unfortunate, as the grainy images we do have show very impressive damage.

View attachment 17621
Love how the map variously refers to the town both as Beatty Swamps and as Bethsaida.

Also man Grazzie really dropped the ball on this one didn't he. Makes me wonder how many other tornadoes got completely mislocated in Sigtor.

Reaction score
Love how the map variously refers to the town both as Beatty Swamps and as Bethsaida.

Also man Grazzie really dropped the ball on this one didn't he. Makes me wonder how many other tornadoes got completely mislocated in Sigtor.
I think quite a bit, he also had some families erroneously listed as a single tornado. He also has one notable bit of a car in Texas that was apparently thrown 1000 miles by a tornado lol. Although, when you're compiling info on 10,000+ tornadoes mistakes like that are inevitable.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Took a crack at this tornado tier list and listed the ones that were available from 1971-present, and got absolutely murdered on Twitter. I’m interested in what you guys’ opinions are so feel free.
C61895F2-805F-41FD-8A3E-E3B63C832062.png
Most of the pot was stirred over Mulhall, while a very violent tornado I have yet to see F5/EF5 damage both contextual and structurally from the event and the aerial scar wasn’t as pronounced as say the Dover F4 for example, which I believe to be stronger than Mulhall. Also got some claims Smithville had winds barely over 200mph, which is…something. Anywho, feel free to share your opinions.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Consider vthe place and the people. Twitter value is like Amazon stars; essentially meaningless at best and usually very wrong. But part of it's on you- there is nothing above F5 or EF5 and when you even allude to otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot by losing the knowledgeable in the audience. You're assigning windspeeds you nor anyone else knows for certain, again not good approach.

I mostly agree but the further I go the less sure I am that Jarrell was of highest strength.

Last edited:

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Took a crack at this tornado tier list and listed the ones that were available from 1971-present, and got absolutely murdered on Twitter. I’m interested in what you guys’ opinions are so feel free.
View attachment 17640
Most of the pot was stirred over Mulhall, while a very violent tornado I have yet to see F5/EF5 damage both contextual and structurally from the event and the aerial scar wasn’t as pronounced as say the Dover F4 for example, which I believe to be stronger than Mulhall. Also got some claims Smithville had winds barely over 200mph, which is…something. Anywho, feel free to share your opinions.
  • Move Vilonia up one tier
  • Move Ohatchee, Westminster and Oakfield up one tier
  • Move Camp Crook (Capitol) up two tiers
  • Berlin EF3 should be EF5
Those are the ones I feel the most strongly about. Overall don't have too many issues with your tier list (although I would like someone to explain to me what an AF rating is...)

Guess I should say that I don't plan on making my own version, though I'll probably deja-vu again, like when I said I wouldn't make an 'every state's strongest tornado' map and made one anyway...

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
  • Move Vilonia up one tier
  • Move Ohatchee, Westminster and Oakfield up one tier
  • Move Camp Crook (Capitol) up two tiers
  • Berlin EF3 should be EF5
Those are the ones I feel the most strongly about. Overall don't have too many issues with your tier list (although I would like someone to explain to me what an AF rating is...)

Guess I should say that I don't plan on making my own version, though I'll probably deja-vu again, like when I said I wouldn't make an 'every state's strongest tornado' map and made one anyway...
I made mine out of sheer boredom, which looking back, huge mistake lol. Yeah I have no clue what a AF is but anyways I was pretty on the fence about Vilonia and Ohatchee and they could go either way imo.

Back