• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I spent last weekend comprehensively going through this thread including almost all of the links. I've made it to page 50 so far, I'll get it all sooner or later. I only wish I'd found this site and this thread sooner, for it is definitely the best and most comprehensive source of information on tornadoes there is anywhere online.

Now if I didn't have to work for a living I might complete my quest in a couple more weeks, however being poor gets in the way of everything fun :rolleyes:

Phil

Reaction score
I spent last weekend comprehensively going through this thread including almost all of the links. I've made it to page 50 so far, I'll get it all sooner or later. I only wish I'd found this site and this thread sooner, for it is definitely the best and most comprehensive source of information on tornadoes there is anywhere online.

Now if I didn't have to work for a living I might complete my quest in a couple more weeks, however being poor gets in the way of everything fun :rolleyes:

Phil
same

Reaction score

Phil
The thread was only 12 pages or so until May of 2020 when I make one or two posts about Xenia and boom! it just took off #humblebrag

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
gettin ready to post the kmz link?
I’m trying to but Google drive doesn’t seem to be cooperative today…I don’t know if it has something to do with my Google Account or what but it’s not letting me share it properly. I’ll see if I can get it figured out hopefully by tonight, if so it’ll probably be posted sometime by today. Speaking of sharing and whatnot, I think I’ll probably just share the EF0-1 contours for now and then post the rest later on all together so I don’t give too much of it away, still sort of want it to be released all at the same time. The EF1 contour was the hardest part in mapping this tornado so I’ve got the most difficult section out the way at least.

Reaction score
I’m trying to but Google drive doesn’t seem to be cooperative today…I don’t know if it has something to do with my Google Account or what but it’s not letting me share it properly. I’ll see if I can get it figured out hopefully by tonight, if so it’ll probably be posted sometime by today. Speaking of sharing and whatnot, I think I’ll probably just share the EF0-1 contours for now and then post the rest later on all together so I don’t give too much of it away, still sort of want it to be released all at the same time. The EF1 contour was the hardest part in mapping this tornado so I’ve got the most difficult section out the way at least.
strange considering how broken up and disconnected the EF3-EF4 spots are...and alright. im alright with that. but man all these problems be startin to test my patience a little bit lol. obviously not your fault but still heheh...

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
strange considering how broken up and disconnected the EF3-EF4 spots are...and alright. im alright with that. but man all these problems be startin to test my patience a little bit lol. obviously not your fault but still heheh...
Yeah they were definitely erratic in their own right but the EF1 swath is really just all over the place. I’ve never had this many issues for one tornado path it’s starting to get frustrating, I would’ve liked to had this out a week ago. I’m honestly not too upset about the first crash that erased the EF1-4+ swaths because I felt like they could’ve been done a whole lot better and more detailed, the second crash though is the one that really got on my nerves.

Reaction score
Yeah they were definitely erratic in their own right but the EF1 swath is really just all over the place. I’ve never had this many issues for one tornado path it’s starting to get frustrating, I would’ve liked to had this out a week ago. I’m honestly not too upset about the first crash that erased the EF1-4+ swaths because I felt like they could’ve been done a whole lot better and more detailed, the second crash though is the one that really got on my nerves.
dang. really sucks

Reaction score
well at least you've got everything saved now to your documents

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Finally was able to resolve whatever issue Google Drive was having, here's the EF0-EF1 swath for Tuscaloosa-Birmingham. Consider most of this preliminary as it's probably going to undergo some tweaks/revisions later on when the final product is being made. The other swaths (EF2-EF4+) will all be released together soon, and the fonts will also be adjusted to make it easier to view. As said before, the EF1 contour is very, very erratic as shown, and also for now just begins north of Ralph. More research will be done for earlier in the track.

Reaction score
Finally was able to resolve whatever issue Google Drive was having, here's the EF0-EF1 swath for Tuscaloosa-Birmingham. Consider most of this preliminary as it's probably going to undergo some tweaks/revisions later on when the final product is being made. The other swaths (EF2-EF4+) will all be released together soon, and the fonts will also be adjusted to make it easier to view. As said before, the EF1 contour is very, very erratic as shown, and also for now just begins north of Ralph. More research will be done for earlier in the track.

finally indeed. and what an absolute mess it is indeed

locomusic01

Reaction score

Great job, love the detail!

It'd be really fascinating to make a video overlaying the radar animation of the supercell scan by scan over the full path. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do in After Effects, although it'd be a ton of work. Maybe someone has already done something like that, I dunno. Pretty cool way to see the evolution on radar vs. the actual damage pattern on the ground though.

Anyway, can't wait to see the full path!

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
Great job, love the detail!

It'd be really fascinating to make a video overlaying the radar animation of the supercell scan by scan over the full path. It probably wouldn't be that hard to do in After Effects, although it'd be a ton of work. Maybe someone has already done something like that, I dunno. Pretty cool way to see the evolution on radar vs. the actual damage pattern on the ground though.

Anyway, can't wait to see the full path!
Thanks man I appreciate it. That’d be a neat project to do, might have to consider. The radar reflectivity and velocity pretty accurately reflected the tornadoes intensity and damage seen on the ground.
DD0B26B4-2E09-4BC8-B830-6205A6646404.png
This is where the radar presentation and velocity couplet was most impressive, just north of Peterson. This is where the tornado probably peaked in intensity and reached maximum width. Anyway, I hope to have the full map out soon!

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Thanks man I appreciate it. That’d be a neat project to do, might have to consider. The radar reflectivity and velocity pretty accurately reflected the tornadoes intensity and damage seen on the ground.
View attachment 14963
This is where the radar presentation and velocity couplet was most impressive, just north of Peterson. This is where the tornado probably peaked in intensity and reached maximum width. Anyway, I hope to have the full map out soon!
I am inclined to agree the tornado reached peak intensity here; multiple homes were swept completely away, including one or two that were probably EF5 candidates. Debris from the homes was ground to small pieces (possibly an example of intense debris granulation, can't confirm without ground level photos though), and intense tree damage occurred that was still visible from street view three years after the fact.

Western_KS_Wx

Reaction score
I am inclined to agree the tornado reached peak intensity here; multiple homes were swept completely away, including one or two that were probably EF5 candidates. Debris from the homes was ground to small pieces (possibly an example of intense debris granulation, can't confirm without ground level photos though), and intense tree damage occurred that was still visible from street view three years after the fact.
I was able to find ground level photos from one of the homes that was swept away, and in my opinion the tornado was very likely at EF5 intensity in that area. I also believe the tornado reached a secondary maxima in the Concord-Pleasant Grove area as well, and probably again at some point during its trek through sparsely unpopulated forested areas between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.

Reaction score
I was able to find ground level photos from one of the homes that was swept away, and in my opinion the tornado was very likely at EF5 intensity in that area. I also believe the tornado reached a secondary maxima in the Concord-Pleasant Grove area as well, and probably again at some point during its trek through sparsely unpopulated forested areas between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.
depending on work time the rest should be done within 2-4 days right?

Logo 468x120
Back