• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The Andover tornado is by no means poorly documented but considering how otherwise well-documented it is, I have for the most part failed to find any ground level photos of homes swept away. Here is the only photo I could find:
Andover-F5-damage-brickhome.JPG

If anyone has any ground level photos of homes swept away they can post, I would greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
The Andover tornado is by no means poorly documented but considering how otherwise well-documented it is, I have for the most part failed to find any ground level photos of homes swept away. Here is the only photo I could find:
View attachment 10665

If anyone has any ground level photos of homes swept away they can post, I would greatly appreciate it.
Apparently this is also from Andover, not sure if a home or just a shed, but I'll post and see what happens. I'll have to dig way back earlier in the thread for my previous posts on it, suffice to say that the F5 rating was well-deserved. It is also another case where it's difficult to find photographs from the hardest hit areas.

Andover 11.jpg

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Apparently this is also from Andover, not sure if a home or just a shed, but I'll post and see what happens. I'll have to dig way back earlier in the thread for my previous posts on it, suffice to say that the F5 rating was well-deserved. It is also another case where it's difficult to find photographs from the hardest hit areas.

View attachment 10666
Andover was a solid F5. My intention is not at all to question the rating as the vehicle damage alone was indicative of F5 strength, but you would think with how well known the tornado is, there would be more ground level photos of homes readily available.

andyhb

Reaction score
I think a lot of the media attention went to the Golden Spur Park where most of the fatalities occurred, rather than the site-built homes that were leveled/swept away in other parts of Andover.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I haven't really done much on the Andover outbreak (yet another on my "maybe some day" list) but here's what I have in my folder. Might have more in other places, not sure. I stuck them in an imgur album so it doesn't clutter things up:

Obviously #2 and #9 are Golden Spur. #7 is the main hospital entrance at McConnell AFB. #13 is a church IIRC, or maybe just a pastor's home or something.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Article listing significant tornadoes in Russia from 1904 to 2009 (might want to translate this if you don't speak Russian):

Some tornadoes not mentioned in the article:
May 22, 2001 - A tornado of unknown intensity killed two people and injured 14 others in the Perm Oblast. It was reportedly on the ground for 28 kilometers (17.3 miles)
June 29, 2003 - A tornado of unknown intensity was filmed in Kostroma. Trees and power lines were downed, buildings were "destroyed" and three people were injured.
August 3, 2007 - A tornado of unknown intensity was filmed in Krasnogorsk. Damage was mostly limited to trees but a few homes had their roofs torn off.

Reaction score
I haven't really done much on the Andover outbreak (yet another on my "maybe some day" list) but here's what I have in my folder. Might have more in other places, not sure. I stuck them in an imgur album so it doesn't clutter things up:

Obviously #2 and #9 are Golden Spur. #7 is the main hospital entrance at McConnell AFB. #13 is a church IIRC, or maybe just a pastor's home or something.

Piggybacking on a previous post on mine yet again but more photos of automobile damage and the annihilated Golden Spur Mobile Home Park; what this thing did to cars is unbelievable and it also likely did the most intense damage to a mobile home park ever photographed:

Another post of mine with more damage pics concerning Andover from Storm Data and some other sources:

This is the synced sequence of Andover from various vantage points, it's incredible how its transition from single-vortex stovepipe to multi-vortex wedge was caught by multiple people from various points at the same time.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Piggybacking on a previous post on mine yet again but more photos of automobile damage and the annihilated Golden Spur Mobile Home Park; what this thing did to cars is unbelievable and it also likely did the most intense damage to a mobile home park ever photographed:
Speaking of vehicle damage, I was looking through my Fargo F5 folder the other day and stumbled upon this photo I'd forgotten about. It looks like the chassis of a bus that's been completely stripped but it's hard to even tell for certain:

IuL0FRm.jpg

..Which also reminds me that I don't think I ever shared another impressive instance of vehicle damage from 5/31/85. This is from the Atlantic F4 and I'm about 90% sure it's the Chevy pickup that belonged to one of the people I interviewed. I asked them about it when I found it but then they never got back to me. Anyway, if it is the same one, it was parked basically next door to the Pinedale Trailer Court and was launched clear into the treeline at the top of an adjacent hill - a distance of just over 700 yards. A large part of the cab was obviously ripped away and, although you can't really see it well here, the bed was crushed almost like an accordion and ended up barely half its normal length.

ZjpICNx.jpg

So, the truck would've been parked sort of behind and to the right of the camera here and it ended up near that treeline to the right of the main road.

ygLYsyQ.jpg

Another reason this came to mind is because, IMO, Pinedale Trailer Court also experienced some of the most violent damage I've ever seen to a mobile home park. I think I've posted a few photos before, but there was basically just.. nothing left. Even some of the trailer frames were torn into small pieces.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Speaking of vehicle damage, I was looking through my Fargo F5 folder the other day and stumbled upon this photo I'd forgotten about. It looks like the chassis of a bus that's been completely stripped but it's hard to even tell for certain:

IuL0FRm.jpg

..Which also reminds me that I don't think I ever shared another impressive instance of vehicle damage from 5/31/85. This is from the Atlantic F4 and I'm about 90% sure it's the Chevy pickup that belonged to one of the people I interviewed. I asked them about it when I found it but then they never got back to me. Anyway, if it is the same one, it was parked basically next door to the Pinedale Trailer Court and was launched clear into the treeline at the top of an adjacent hill - a distance of just over 700 yards. A large part of the cab was obviously ripped away and, although you can't really see it well here, the bed was crushed almost like an accordion and ended up barely half its normal length.

ZjpICNx.jpg

So, the truck would've been parked sort of behind and to the right of the camera here and it ended up near that treeline to the right of the main road.

ygLYsyQ.jpg

Another reason this came to mind is because, IMO, Pinedale Trailer Court also experienced some of the most violent damage I've ever seen to a mobile home park. I think I've posted a few photos before, but there was basically just.. nothing left. Even some of the trailer frames were torn into small pieces.
I've seen the Storm Data aerial of this trailer park but nothing beyond that; had no clue it was as violent as you've discovered. The only other instances I can think of where even the frames were torn to bits are with Andover and Jarrell (and maybe Bridge Creek-Moore, but not entirely sure). Heck, I think Jarrell more or less obliterated some mobile homes from existence, as apparently many of them vanished without a trace and only bits and pieces of the frames could be found.

locomusic01

Reaction score
I've seen the Storm Data aerial of this trailer park but nothing beyond that; had no clue it was as violent as you've discovered. The only other instances I can think of where even the frames were torn to bits are with Andover and Jarrell (and maybe Bridge Creek-Moore, but not entirely sure). Heck, I think Jarrell more or less obliterated some mobile homes from existence, as apparently many of them vanished without a trace and only bits and pieces of the frames could be found.
Yeah, it was quite impressive.

2HZ9o2T.jpg

dkmqgwh.jpg

GyudXdV.jpg

Thank goodness most of the people who lived there weren't home at the time or else the death toll almost certainly would've been far higher. Only one young woman was killed in the park itself; the three other fatalities that are usually included occurred in a well-built frame house on the property that was obliterated. You can see what was left of it next to the road.

UUjxbLz.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah, it was quite impressive.

2HZ9o2T.jpg

dkmqgwh.jpg

GyudXdV.jpg

Thank goodness most of the people who lived there weren't home at the time or else the death toll almost certainly would've been far higher. Only one young woman was killed in the park itself; the three other fatalities that are usually included occurred in a well-built frame house on the property that was obliterated. You can see what was left of it next to the road.

UUjxbLz.jpg

That first pic where the frame is bent into an arch, holy crap!
So with this tornado, do you think the F4 rating is justified or were there possible bits of F5 damage?

Also will your article (since I don't want to ruin it any more then this thread already has lol) go into detail about the meteorological circumstances that led up to it, why so many of the tornadoes that day were exceptionally intense for the region of the world it occurred in and why so many tornadoes that seemed to have constantly been fluctuating in appearance and intensity, often within the space of seconds? Really fascinating event the more I uncover about it from you and other sources.

locomusic01

Reaction score
For anyone who might be interested, here's what should be the final version of the Canadian portion of the outbreak map. Pretty much every detail should be accurate to within a few hundred yards at most. The red numbered balloons obviously mark the fatalities; you can click them to see the names. For some reason they sometimes look like they aren't aligned correctly until you start to zoom in. The US portion is pretty much done as well but there are a couple things I wanna clean up a bit first.

locomusic01

Reaction score
That first pic where the frame is bent into an arch, holy crap!
So with this tornado, do you think the F4 rating is justified or were there possible bits of F5 damage?

Also will your article (since I don't want to ruin it any more then this thread already has lol) go into detail about the meteorological circumstances that led up to it, why so many of the tornadoes that day were exceptionally intense for the region of the world it occurred in and why so many tornadoes that seemed to have constantly been fluctuating in appearance and intensity, often within the space of seconds? Really fascinating event the more I uncover about it from you and other sources.
I doubt there was any damage that could actually have been rated F5, but that's only because I'm not sure any structures were built to those standards. Entirely possible it reached that intensity though, IMO. And yeah, I'll be covering the meteorology of the event as well.

Reaction score
For anyone who might be interested, here's what should be the final version of the Canadian portion of the outbreak map. Pretty much every detail should be accurate to within a few hundred yards at most. The red numbered balloons obviously mark the fatalities; you can click them to see the names. For some reason they sometimes look like they aren't aligned correctly until you start to zoom in. The US portion is pretty much done as well but there are a couple things I wanna clean up a bit first.

One thing I noticed with Barrie is that it curved near its dissipation point on Lake Simcoe and came dangerously close to coming ashore for the nearby Shanty Bay community but thankfully that didn't happen.

pohnpei

Reaction score

Some never seen before footage from Keshan tornado 1987. This was by far the earliest tornado footage has been found in China yet. The tornado capable of throwing combine hundreds of yards away.

A collection of damage in Beichen from Funing tornado. Finally found very high quality aerial shot.
Some newly discovered tree damage from Baochang tornado this year.
mmexport1636329646792.jpgmmexport1636329643743.jpgmmexport1636094462761.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score

Some never seen before footage from Keshan tornado 1987. This was by far the earliest tornado footage has been found in China yet. The tornado capable of throwing combine hundreds of yards away.

A collection of damage in Beichen from Funing tornado. Finally found very high quality aerial shot.
Some newly discovered tree damage from Baochang tornado this year.

I’ve always been curious about the July 31, 1987 NE China tornado outbreak as it is extremely rare to get tornado outbreaks with more than one violent tornado outside of the USA. It also occurred on the same day as another violent tornado on the other side of the world (Edmonton) which is a rare coincidence.

Reaction score
The NWS survey for Rainsville mentions that the tornado pulled up sidewalk pavement in this area. I have no reason to doubt it, but have never found any ground-level photos of the missing pavement.
View attachment 10670

The section on Rainsville shows sections of pavement scoured from roads, might be the closest we're gonna get for now:

pohnpei

Reaction score
I’ve always been curious about the July 31, 1987 NE China tornado outbreak as it is extremely rare to get tornado outbreaks with more than one violent tornado outside of the USA. It also occurred on the same day as another violent tornado on the other side of the world (Edmonton) which is a rare coincidence.
It's worth mentioned that Czech EF4 this year and Baochang tornado also occurred on the same day which was quite a coincidence too. Both of them were soild contender of the strongest tornado of the year and historic tornado event for their region.

zvl5316

Reaction score
There were so many abnormal tornado events in the 80s: March 28, 1984 Carolinas outbreak, May 31, 1985 outbreak, July 10, 1989 Northeast outbreak, 1984 USSR outbreak, 1987 Northeast China outbreak, 1987 Edmonton F4, 1987 Yellowstone-Teton F4 and 1981 West Bend anticyclonic F4.

Back