• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Greetings all. Just uploaded a high quality upload of the infamous flyover video of the damage after the Jarrell F5 from KXAN (I believe they’re the ones who shot this video anyways). This video is already online in many different videos and clips, but this should be the highest quality and most continuous one atm:

Goodness....

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Yeah this one is among Elie, Brahmanbaria, and Dalton in terms of violent drillbits, but isn't as well-documented as those. The narrow, deep scouring is unlike anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

Speaking of drillbit tornadoes, curious to learn more about and view additional damage photos of the very recent Shangzhi, China tornado. Videos of it seem to show a very similar type of tornado to the ones mentioned above. Also a side note, comparing and discussing the Shengze and Shangzhi tornadoes of May 2021 might get kind of confusing due to the similarity of the town names.
Chinese Phonetic alphabet is quite confused lol, so to help our members figure out which is which, I'd like to call Shengze, "the one west of Shanghai", Shangzhi, "the one in Northeast parts of China", but you can call other names as u like.
The violent drillbit tornado occurred yesterday has lead to 16 injuries, and unfortunately, 1 fatality. This is the third killer tornado in China just in a half month period and the fourth one this year. Survey Teams from Beijing is on their way.
The tornado was remarkable, I mean, in all aspects, me and my friend wasn't able to arrive at the scene so we collect as many information as we can through mass media like tiktok, and what astonished us all was that, the tornado climbed AT LEAST two mountians and may be even more, up to 5-6. The tornado covered a very, very weird reversed U-shape track in mountainous area and then hit the town ShangZhi, you can find the tornado leveled entire grove of poplar forests on hills.And then bent the concrete telephone poles at the ground level.
IMG_20210602_230608.jpg
478d092b080d8bb3.png
I've heard the tornado also leveled a school and a hennery, I'm not sure whether the demolished big facilities was one of them
IMG_20210602_232737.jpg
The tornado also threw tractors into farmland, scoured the cornfield, toppled high voltage transmitting towers.It looks as if the siblings of the Dalton-Ashby MN EF4 last year. I'm convinced this one was capable of produing EF4 damage and based on both the video and damage proof, It's likely that the tornado will get an EF4 rating. Let's just wait and see
IMG_20210602_232615.jpg

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Chinese Phonetic alphabet is quite confused lol, so to help our members figure out which is which, I'd like to call Shengze, "the one west of Shanghai", Shangzhi, "the one in Northeast parts of China", but you can call other names as u like.
The violent drillbit tornado occurred yesterday has lead to 16 injuries, and unfortunately, 1 fatality. This is the third killer tornado in China just in a half month period and the fourth one this year. Survey Teams from Beijing is on their way.
The tornado was remarkable, I mean, in all aspects, me and my friend wasn't able to arrive at the scene so we collect as many information as we can through mass media like tiktok, and what astonished us all was that, the tornado climbed AT LEAST two mountians and may be even more, up to 5-6. The tornado covered a very, very weird reversed U-shape track in mountainous area and then hit the town ShangZhi, you can find the tornado leveled entire grove of poplar forests on hills.And then bent the concrete telephone poles at the ground level.
View attachment 9742
View attachment 9743
I've heard the tornado also leveled a school and a hennery, I'm not sure whether the demolished big facilities was one of them
View attachment 9744
The tornado also threw tractors into farmland, scoured the cornfield, toppled high voltage transmitting towers.It looks as if the siblings of the Dalton-Ashby MN EF4 last year. I'm convinced this one was capable of produing EF4 damage and based on both the video and damage proof, It's likely that the tornado will get an EF4 rating. Let's just wait and see
View attachment 9745
That field looks like it is scoured. I found some more pictures of damage of leveled buildings.

eric11

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member

Marshal79344

Reaction score
Apologize to take the conversation away for a minute, but I found even more footage of the damage from the Loyal Valley Tornado. Here are some screenshots. They are amazing.

This one is the most striking. A woman and her entire family apparently survived the tornado in this car, which was in the garage of the remains of their home. They said that it was so loud they couldn't hear, and the father took a 2 by 4 right to the stomach and somehow survived. Scoured dirt was splattered all around. They should have been dead. This is one of the most incredible tornado survival stories I've ever heard of.

19990511LOYALVALLEY2.PNG

Another view of the property

19990511LOYALVALLEY4.PNG

Rural areas

19990511LOYALVALLEY6.PNG19990511LOYALVALLEY5.PNG19990511LOYALVALLEY.PNG19990511LOYALVALLEY3.PNG

MNTornadoGuy

Reaction score
Apologize to take the conversation away for a minute, but I found even more footage of the damage from the Loyal Valley Tornado. Here are some screenshots. They are amazing.

This one is the most striking. A woman and her entire family apparently survived the tornado in this car, which was in the garage of the remains of their home. They said that it was so loud they couldn't hear, and the father took a 2 by 4 right to the stomach and somehow survived. Scoured dirt was splattered all around. They should have been dead. This is one of the most incredible tornado survival stories I've ever heard of.

View attachment 9760

View attachment 9758

Rural areas

View attachment 9755View attachment 9756View attachment 9757View attachment 9759
That tree damage in the third and fourth picture is some of the most intense I've ever seen

locomusic01

Reaction score

View attachment 9760

Unfortunately, I think the father did ultimately die. The story is all legit except everything I've ever found lists the man as the lone fatality. I've posted about it a bit before - here's another picture of the property:

demolished-home-one-killed.jpg

A pickup (according to the official account at least) was parked at the same property and was thrown a great distance and torn apart. This is apparently one of the doors:

door-of-pickup-truck.jpg

locomusic01

Reaction score
Can't recall if this pic has been shared here already or if this is an overall common pic or not, but FWIW on Facebook I came across this post with a photo of one of the 1985 PA tornadoes.
Taken shortly before the tornado claimed six lives southwest of Cherrytree. Quite possibly near peak intensity, though it produced similarly intense damage in a number of areas along its 56-mile path.

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, this is interesting. Sorry if this has been posted before - I didn't get any search results. An article in Monthly Weather Review (Vol 92, Issue 10) details a distinctly Philadelphia-like trench-digging situation that happened outside Marion, MS on 4/5/64. The tornado apparently hit nothing except an old barn, so it's not included in Significant Tornadoes. The similarity is pretty striking though, albeit not as extreme.

buckeye05

Reaction score
The more I learn about Niles/Wheatland, the more I realize that allegation that it produced no extreme scouring or vegetation damage is a falsehood. I really do respect Max from extremeplanet, but you can’t just do a brief, skin-deep dive into widely available photos of the aftermath and conclude that no debarking or scouring occurred. After all, considering the remarkable intensity of the other damage it produced, a lack of extreme vegetation damage just wouldn’t add up.

Also, another incredible incident that occurred during the 1985 outbreak that I want to learn more about is the family that survived being thrown a quarter mile from 1-79 by the Beaver Falls tornado, and being ejected from their vehicle. That does not sound survivable. How did they make it through that?

Reaction score

View attachment 9760

View attachment 9758

Rural areas

View attachment 9755View attachment 9756View attachment 9757View attachment 9759
I'd love to get more information on this thing beyond the Storm Data entry...the tree damage here is unbelievable, especially considering that the species of trees this thing encountered are exceptionally durable and extremely and the tornado hardly had any debris in it when it struck this area, so the majority of tree damage was likely done by the tornado itself and not debris loading.

Reaction score
Greetings all. Just uploaded a high quality upload of the infamous flyover video of the damage after the Jarrell F5 from KXAN (I believe they’re the ones who shot this video anyways). This video is already online in many different videos and clips, but this should be the highest quality and most continuous one atm:

The tree damage at the tornado's dissipation point reminds me of Loyal Valley's tree damage; it's also apparent that Jarrell was likely extremely violent until the very end.

Reaction score
The more I learn about Niles/Wheatland, the more I realize that allegation that it produced no extreme scouring or vegetation damage is a falsehood. I really do respect Max from extremeplanet, but you can’t just do a brief, skin-deep dive into widely available photos of the aftermath and conclude that no debarking or scouring occurred. After all, considering the remarkable intensity of the other damage it produced, a lack of extreme vegetation damage just wouldn’t add up.

Also, another incredible incident that occurred during the 1985 outbreak that I want to learn more about is the family that survived being thrown a quarter mile from 1-79 by the Beaver Falls tornado, and being ejected from their vehicle. That does not sound survivable. How did they make it through that?
To be fair to Max he had (and likely still has) an extremely busy schedule which likely caused him to overlook some things and prevented him from having more time to dig through online archives or contact eyewitnesses to these vents. Even Grazulis doesn't mention extreme scouring or vegetation from this tornado, although when you're compiling information on 12,000+ tornadoes you're bound to miss some things and not have time to fill in every single detail.

That detail about the Beaver Falls tornado, if true, might be a record as the official record for longest distance of a person being thrown from a tornado is Matt Suter of Fordland, Missouri who was carried 1,307 feet (13 ft. shy of a quarter mile) and lived to tell about it.

Sources about Matt Suter:

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/furthest-distance-survived-in-a-tornado-

locomusic01

Reaction score

Y'all are gonna ruin my article lol. The family wasn't actually thrown a quarter-mile. The van was rolled over initially and somehow they managed to be ejected and dumped into the median, at which point the van was thrown about three-tenths of a mile.

Incredibly though, another couple did survive being thrown about 300 yards and rolled probably another 50 yards in their van. Even more bizarre, it was the same tornado, just further along the path. They were both badly hurt, but from their descriptions of what happened, I have no idea how they made it. Another woman earlier in the path was in her car when it was picked up and somehow landed on its wheels down the street a bit. Multiple eyewitnesses even confirmed that they saw it happen. Also talked to another family that survived being blown about 100-150 yards in the Atlantic tornado.

Needless to say, they all got insanely lucky.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Y'all are gonna ruin my article lol. The family wasn't actually thrown a quarter-mile. The van was rolled over initially and somehow they managed to be ejected and dumped into the median, at which point the van was thrown about three-tenths of a mile.

Incredibly though, another couple did survive being thrown about 300 yards and rolled probably another 50 yards in their van. Even more bizarre, it was the same tornado, just further along the path. They were both badly hurt, but from their descriptions of what happened, I have no idea how they made it. Another woman earlier in the path was in her car when it was picked up and somehow landed on its wheels down the street a bit. Multiple eyewitnesses even confirmed that they saw it happen. Also talked to another family that survived being blown about 100-150 yards in the Atlantic tornado.

Needless to say, they all got insanely lucky.
Lol sorry I didn't realize till after I posted. I won't say any more.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Btw, in the same general area, a section of guardrail was apparently ripped out of the ground and twisted around a tree. Can't say I've heard that very often. I talked to a guy who contracted with PennDOT to help repair the damage and he said he doesn't remember there being any cars or other large objects nearby that might've struck it and dislodged it. I would still guess some sort of debris impact was involved, but who knows.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Btw, in the same general area, a section of guardrail was apparently ripped out of the ground and twisted around a tree. Can't say I've heard that very often. I talked to a guy who contracted with PennDOT to help repair the damage and he said he doesn't remember there being any cars or other large objects nearby that might've struck it and dislodged it. I would still guess some sort of debris impact was involved, but who knows.
I heard that the Barrie tornado did this as well, though I'm not sure if that is true or not.

Also, parroting the others who already said it, but that Loyal Valley tree damage is easily some of the most violent tree damage I've ever seen. Remarkable.

Last edited:
Back