• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Reaction score
Greetings all. Just uploaded a high quality upload of the infamous flyover video of the damage after the Jarrell F5 from KXAN (I believe they’re the ones who shot this video anyways). This video is already online in many different videos and clips, but this should be the highest quality and most continuous one atm:

Awesome, you think there's a chance you'll be able to upload the footage where Jarrell transitions from a skinny rope to multivortex wedge by the side of the Interstate? Or is that simply way too risky from a copyright perspective?

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
Awesome, you think there's a chance you'll be able to upload the footage where Jarrell transitions from a skinny rope to multivortex wedge by the side of the Interstate? Or is that simply way too risky from a copyright perspective?
Too risky. You’ll notice that many reuploads of that Ultimate Tornado documentary don’t stay up for very long, and the ones that do stay up have the Jarrell portion blanked out. That’s because of the KWTX video. Not sure what their deal is, my guess is they just know they have a good thing and will milk it as long as possible.

Reaction score
Too risky. You’ll notice that many reuploads of that Ultimate Tornado documentary don’t stay up for very long, and the ones that do stay up have the Jarrell portion blanked out. That’s because of the KWTX video. Not sure what their deal is, my guess is they just know they have a good thing and will milk it as long as possible.
I'm sure there's torrents of it out there but that's extremely dicey territory.....oh well, it's a shame KWTX won't grow up and join the 21st century like everyone else and just upload it to YouTube.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Greetings all. Just uploaded a high quality upload of the infamous flyover video of the damage after the Jarrell F5 from KXAN (I believe they’re the ones who shot this video anyways). This video is already online in many different videos and clips, but this should be the highest quality and most continuous one atm:

Niiiice! I didn't even know you were on TW. Or I did and I forgot? I dunno. Definitely the highest quality version I've seen tho.

locomusic01

Reaction score
So, I knew based on the damage path + some first-hand accounts that the Niles-Wheatland tornado grew fairly large for a period of time as it was on its way out of Newton Falls. Tracked down a series of photos taken in that area and it turns out it looked pretty imposing:

selkirk-bush-07-evie-lemasters-nikki-weaver.jpg

Reaction score
So, I knew based on the damage path + some first-hand accounts that the Niles-Wheatland tornado grew fairly large for a period of time as it was on its way out of Newton Falls. Tracked down a series of photos taken in that area and it turns out it looked pretty imposing:

selkirk-bush-07-evie-lemasters-nikki-weaver.jpg
Was 400 yards the widest it got? Here it seems like it wasn't quite wedge, but a little bigger than a stovepipe; kinda reminds me of Philadelphia 2011 in terms of funnel shape and diameter. I swear I saw this photograph in some other book being identified as another tornado but I'm not sure where I saw it; really interesting.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Was 400 yards the widest it got? Here it seems like it wasn't quite wedge, but a little bigger than a stovepipe; kinda reminds me of Philadelphia 2011 in terms of funnel shape and diameter. I swear I saw this photograph in some other book being identified as another tornado but I'm not sure where I saw it; really interesting.
The widest point I've found looks to be just a shade under half a mile, though even there the swath of significant damage is probably only ~150 yards. It's definitely reminiscent of a few other tornadoes in that photo - also reminds me a lot of this Jarrell photo visually:

bigjar.gif

There are 10 photos in the series. As far as I know they've never been released or published anywhere, but I can't say for sure. I talked to a family member of the woman who took them rather than the woman herself. They were taken from Selkirk Bush Rd, roughly around the time the tornado was crossing the railroad tracks on the east side of Newton Falls. That area is mostly open fields, so there's no good way to judge its exact width at that point.

Reaction score
The widest point I've found looks to be just a shade under half a mile, though even there the swath of significant damage is probably only ~150 yards. It's definitely reminiscent of a few other tornadoes in that photo - also reminds me a lot of this Jarrell photo visually:

bigjar.gif

There are 10 photos in the series. As far as I know they've never been released or published anywhere, but I can't say for sure. I talked to a family member of the woman who took them rather than the woman herself. They were taken from Selkirk Bush Rd, roughly around the time the tornado was crossing the railroad tracks on the east side of Newton Falls. That area is mostly open fields, so there's no good way to judge its exact width at that point.
Jarrell is what it's reminding me of; yeah I guess I just visually put the two together in my mind and didn't think before I typed. Lol.

AngelAndHisWx

Reaction score
Just remembered I do have a video I can share. About eight minutes of low quality video I procured from some shady stock video website. Y’all didn’t get this from me:
Edit: notice just how short lived the multiple vortex cone was, before filling in and turning into a stovepipe with some amazing upward motion. I can only dream of getting my hands on the original tape.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Re: the very narrow core, another interesting thing is that it still had a multivortex structure in at least some areas. The damage patterns bear that out, and several of the people I talked to who saw the tornado mentioned some variation of "two (or more) tornadoes spinning around and merging together." Must have been little subvortices the size of garden hoses lol

Speaking of tiny cores, check this video:

The ground scouring here looks to only be a few inches across!

Reaction score
Just remembered I do have a video I can share. About eight minutes of low quality video I procured from some shady stock video website. Y’all didn’t get this from me:
Edit: notice just how short lived the multiple vortex cone was, before filling in and turning into a stovepipe with some amazing upward motion. I can only dream of getting my hands on the original tape.

The upward motion on that thing reminds me of Andover in places, although thankfully Andover didn't move as slow (or become stationary for 4-5 minutes) like Jarrell; I shudder to think of the scenarios that'd transpire if stuff like Andover, Bridge Creek-Moore, Joplin, moved slowly/became stationary for several minutes while sitting atop a densely populated area.

buckeye05

Reaction score

Yeah this one is among Elie, Brahmanbaria, and Dalton in terms of violent drillbits, but isn't as well-documented as those. The narrow, deep scouring is unlike anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

Speaking of drillbit tornadoes, curious to learn more about and view additional damage photos of the very recent Shangzhi, China tornado. Videos of it seem to show a very similar type of tornado to the ones mentioned above. Also a side note, comparing and discussing the Shengze and Shangzhi tornadoes of May 2021 might get kind of confusing due to the similarity of the town names.

Last edited:

Robinson lee

Reaction score
Yeah this one is among Elie, Brahmanbaria, and Dalton in terms of violent drillbits, but isn't as well-documented as those. The narrow, deep scouring is unlike anything I've ever seen elsewhere.

Speaking of drillbit tornadoes, curious to learn more about and view additional damage photos of the very recent Shangzhi, China tornado. Videos of it seem to show a very similar type of tornado to the ones mentioned above. Also a side note, comparing and discussing the Shengze and Shangzhi tornadoes of May 2021 might get kind of confusing due to the similarity of the town names.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021_0602_135656.png
    Screenshot_2021_0602_135656.png
    439.5 KB · Views: 0
Reaction score

Perhaps for naming the tornadoes we could use terms like S1 or S2 in conversations, that might help a little bit.

locomusic01

Reaction score

It's funny you should mention this, because I talked to two different people from Niles (actually between Niles and Hubbard) who both said that the tornado "tore/dug a trench" through some of the fields in that area. This video was the first thing that came to mind. Neither of them took pictures or video, which sucks, but I've been trying to track down anything from that particular area. From their descriptions it sounds a lot like this, just not quite so absurdly narrow. I've got pictures from just before and just after that area and the path is definitely narrow and intense.

Back