• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat May 7-10, 2024

Reaction score
View attachment 26795
Surprised they didn't go with a 15% risk.

Relatively weak environmental low-level shear seems to be the big factor preventing higher confidence in a more widespread significant tornado threat today, given strong CAM signal for multiple discrete supercells. Complex/difficult to predict storm-scale/boundary interactions will be key. If there were a stronger surface response with a deepening low and strong LLJ, things would be different.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I feel like with today's storms and there being several rounds of discrete + MCS clusters, it's going to get very complex and messy later on today. It may be a day with lots of hail/wind and not many tornadoes, or it may bust out the barn door with rabid horse tornadoes who knows

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
I haven't seen anyone post yet (or I might've missed it, I'm eating lunch at work lol)

Reaction score
Eh. Messy mode
Something Trey touched on. Some stretches of time today will feature semi-discrete elements, but forcing is prodigal in a mostly uncapped warm sector so convection is going to be all over the place. You can have 5k K/j of cape all day long, but if low level winds are paltry or it’s a cluster of storms competing for it, it’s not going to amount to much of a sig. tornado threat

TornadoFan17

Reaction score
Still another update (assuming it updates on time) before the event is supposed to kick off. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they are playing a little bit safer after how two days ago played out.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
View attachment 26795
Surprised they didn't go with a 15% risk.
Mmm banana

I think they stayed with 10# because of questions about storm mode in the area with stronger low-level shear and questions about low-level shear in the area with better storm mode. Probably the right call in my book.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
HREF rarely shows 30% probs. Surprised to see it not only show 30% but over such a large area, especially considering the uncertainties today.
Yeah, it's an ensemble, so the HRRR, SREF, etc. all have to average their members to get 30%, so that's saying something. We'll have to see what happens.