• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat January 23-25, 2023

F

Former Member 1430

This is a post from storm track on height falls rapidly deepening lows will create substantial height falls in the southeast quadrant of the low. It can lead to many major factors in terms of instability and vertical lift. Btw a treasure trove of good information is always on storm track. This is why the forecast is tricky instability should be ample especially considering the 70+kt winds from the south right above the surface and a lot of small synoptic scale features.View attachment 16997
What is your opinion on further north like middle TN and east middle TN? Do we dodge this bullet?

F

Former Member 1430

I don’t remember where I read this but too much shear can tear apart the updrafts and cause the storms to not be able to get going even though all other parameters are good. I think James Spann said it actually because I think that was a concern on April 27th

Brice

Reaction score
I don’t remember where I read this but too much shear can tear apart the updrafts and cause the storms to not be able to get going even though all other parameters are good. I think James Spann said it actually because I think that was a concern on April 27th
This is what happened on may 20 there was such high shear that the storms tore apart. (for the most part with exception of magnum)

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Good post!, I mentioned that earlier, my thoughts where if we do not reach around 2000j of instability.. maybe 1500j it'll be a bust. There's a extreme amount of speed shear. There's a few factors that I think will lead to instability around those values but we will see. I'd love to see some analysis by some mets in this forumn, hopefully Fred will pop in and give a analysis.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
This is what happened on may 20 there was such high shear that the storms tore apart. (for the most part with exception of magnum)
The dry air was also under forecasted and busted it too, was a few things that were different on that day. That day would have been remarkable if things were spot on with forecast models!

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The GFS is still adjusting the energy considerably.

AF3ADAC8-3CA7-4A3F-923F-BFA7F286F48F.gif

The EURO for comparison.

E503BFDE-5336-446F-A6DC-AEDB29FB11C2.gif

Edit: Can we please get the word “Winter” removed from this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
The GFS is still adjusting the energy considerably.

View attachment 17007

The EURO for comparison.

View attachment 17008

Edit: Can we please get the word “Winter” removed from this thread. Thank you.
Slowing trend, if it ejects in middle of the night like what 00z is suggesting we may not maximize the ceiling, that being said still a siggy event possible. Trough ejection 6-12 hours earlier or faster would make for a much worse event

UK_EF4

Reaction score
GFS continues the trend towards better moisture return, a more wide and open warm sector, and a more favourably placed low. It seems other models do agree on severe potential along the Gulf Coast, so I'm wondering if the SPC will put an outlook up for a small region today.

However the GFS (which seems to almost be the 'trendsetter' in this event so far) is insistent on a more significant thread further inland. Like Matt just said, if the trough ejects with the right timing, and the warm sector is broad and open, then we could have a properly serious event on our hands. Luckily we are not at that stage yet.

trend-gfs-2023012000-f123.sfctd_b-imp.conus.gif

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Day 5 Risk has been Issued:

day5prob.gif