• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat January 23-25, 2023

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
After yesterday and today’s models, the guidance looks like it's finding consensus that the warm sector will advance inland across the coastal regions of TX, LA, MS, AL and the FL Panhandle. The parameter set being modeled within this sector supports a significant severe risk including the possibility of strong tornadoes.

Last edited:

KevinH

Reaction score
After yesterday and today’s models look like we are finding consensus that the warm sector will advance inland across the coastal regions of TX, LA, MS, AL and the FL Panhandle. The parameter set being modeled within this sector supports a significant severe risk including the possibility of strong tornadoes.
Now we see whats going to happen!

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Regardless of warm sector size and storm mode, we are most likely going to have a very dangerous tornadic QLCS, moving through populated areas, after dark, with the chance of a missing radar site. Really not great and makes me worry what could happen. As we all know by now these lines, especially with such strong shear, can easily produce very large numbers of tornadoes, including strong ones - some even producing 50+ tornadoes in the past. Not to say that anything of that sort will definitely happen but given previous track history's of highly sheared lines in Dixie Alley, I am definitely worried.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Regardless of warm sector size and storm mode, we are most likely going to have a very dangerous tornadic QLCS, moving through populated areas, after dark, with the chance of a missing radar site. Really not great and makes me worry what could happen. As we all know by now these lines, especially with such strong shear, can easily produce very large numbers of tornadoes, including strong ones - some even producing 50+ tornadoes in the past. Not to say that anything of that sort will definitely happen but given previous track history's of highly sheared lines in Dixie Alley, I am definitely worried.
Good point, I think north of the coastal regions it'll be hard to get any QCLS tornadoes unless there a sliver of SBCAPE being sucked into the low that spins up can use. Lol could be a bonafide triple point that runs almost the entire Gulf coastline hahaha

Kindve intriguing to think about lol

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Could it be possible we just have one or two potentially tornadic storms running the coastline lol? I'm really interested now. the environment is phenomenal there, *correction the instability isn't phenomal but a lot of other stuff is lol*

Last edited:

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Could it be possible we just have one or two potentially tornadic storms running the coastline lol? I'm really interested now. the environment is phenomenal there, *correction the instability isn't phenomal but a lot of other stuff is lol*
Yeah 12/25/12 really does come to mind in that respect. It only takes one or two.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Yeah 12/25/12 really does come to mind in that respect. It only takes one or two.
I wish they're was a data base with ease of access to looking at parameters or say hrrr runs. You almost have to scrounge around especially with events prior to the 2000s. SPC storms reports used to have a parameters sections on the observation tab in the storm report page but took it off.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Thought I should mention this but theres a 2% tornado risk late tonight early morning along the Gulf Coast.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I'd keep a eye near Panama City tommorow morning sneaky good parameters there. Storms/supercells riding a boundary (warm front)...

MattPetrulli

Reaction score
Kindve uncanny similarities to this event and 12/25/12 now that I look at it closely. Maybe following guidance from this event some would be a good idea.
WF was able to make it far more inland on 12/25/12 and 2/23/16. Not really a good analog here off top of my head. 12/25/12's downfall was storm mode, whereas this one may be WF hugging the coast.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Huh... Well I'll be Gulf shores, I guess you want to show out. @MattPetrulli hey there might only be room for one tornadic storm but it'll make the best out of it hahah.

One heck of a sounding very good low level instability and shear. Screenshot_20230121-205917-709.png2023012200_NAM_081_30.76,-87_severe_ml.png

Sounding from orange beach Florida below
2023012200_NAM_081_30.57,-86.87_severe_ml.png

KevinH

Reaction score
Huh... Well I'll be Gulf shores, I guess you want to show out. @MattPetrulli hey there might only be room for one tornadic storm but it'll make the best out of it hahah.

One heck of a sounding very good low level instability and shear. View attachment 17077View attachment 17078

View attachment 17079
Good grief. You never see these soundings this far south.

Also FYI, Orange Beach is in Alabama (riiiiiiight on the AL/FL border) :)

MattPetrulli

Reaction score

One heck of a sounding very good low level instability and shear. View attachment 17077View attachment 17078

View attachment 17079
North trend still really possible this far out. If solution like NAM panned out there would be an isolated strong tornado threat from TX to FL. I can't really remember a system like this off the top of my head, if WF advances north and has a solid warm sector, pending warm sector, 12/25/12 would be a good analog then. NAM solution would be extremely weird though I can't really think of analogs, would really like some people to chime in to get analogs.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
North trend still really possible this far out. If solution like NAM panned out there would be an isolated strong tornado threat from TX to FL. I can't really remember a system like this off the top of my head, if WF advances north and has a solid warm sector, pending warm sector, 12/25/12 would be a good analog then. NAM solution would be extremely weird though I can't really think of analogs, would really like some people to chime in to get analogs.
Neither can I lol, it'll be the weirdest SPC risk area.

There's a lot of different interactions with this possiblity. Sea breeze..? Mahybe, cold front warm front and frontal trough along with a pressure falls all centering around the immediate Gulf Coast. A smorgasbord haha

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Yeah I just searched through a ton of spc risk outlooks for the south none where confined to the Gulf Coast, those 12/25/2012 and February events are probably your closest in recent memory to this event lol.

Back