• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

buckeye05

Reaction score
I honestly can't get over how much the Autauga County tornado looked like Henryville 2012. They were pretty much indistinguishable. Same color of clouds, same shape, same horizontal vortices, and even the same looking setting with hills and leafless trees. Truly a tornado twin.

Also did anyone see that brick daycare center that partially collapsed in Selma with 70 kids in it, yet they were all ok!? My god that is so scary. I shudder to think of how bad that could have been. What a nightmare.

buckeye05

Reaction score
EF3 tornado confirmed in Griffin, GA. A bit surprised at how high the rating is, as the worst I've seen from there was the Hobby Lobby that had its roof torn off. But then again, there may be other damage I'm not aware of, and the survey team is FFC, which has become probably the most liberal, eager-to-upgrade WFO around since the since the staffing changes.

I'll take that over their old surveyors though, who seemed unable and unwilling to ever go above high-end EF3.

Edit: I did notice it threw some cars around. I wonder if we're seeing some of the first implementation of the newly added vehicle scale? Could be totally wrong about that but it did cross my mind.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
I honestly can't get over how much the Autauga County tornado looked like Henryville 2012. They were pretty much indistinguishable. Same color of clouds, same shape, same horizontal vortices, and even the same looking setting with hills and leafless trees. Truly a tornado twin.

Also did anyone see that brick daycare center that partially collapsed in Selma with 70 kids in it, yet they were all ok!? My god that is so scary. I shudder to think of how bad that could have been. What a nightmare.
I posted a Twitter link from Brett Adair on the previous page

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Lots of manufactured homes just totally obliterated in Autauga County:

Wow, thanks for sharing this. Contextually, the damage looks quite violent. The tree damage, vehicle damage, hints of minor debris granulation and slight hints of wind rowing are quite intense. Truly awful event, am hoping for the best that were affected by this storm.

keithGA

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
EF3 tornado confirmed in Griffin, GA. A bit surprised at how high the rating is, as the worst I've seen from there was the Hobby Lobby that had its roof torn off. But then again, there may be other damage I'm not aware of, and the survey team is FFC, which has become probably the most liberal, eager-to-upgrade WFO around since the since the staffing changes.

I'll take that over their old surveyors though, who seemed unable and unwilling to ever go above high-end EF3.

Edit: I did notice it threw some cars around. I wonder if we're seeing some of the first implementation of the newly added vehicle scale? Could be totally wrong about that but it did cross my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Survey being updated through the day; looking like confirmation that the Selma tornado cycled before leaving Dallas county, and at the moment analyzed at 130/EF2. Autauga county is 150/EF3 and separate from the Selma tornado though that survey continues. MOB reports the tornado there near Movico at 125/EF2. Really racking up sigtor numbers on this event

Back