• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
It seems like Ryan Hall isn't the same after a few of the last 'livecasts' though I can't pin down exactly what or why. Might be overload or burnout. I had him on through today's storm mostly as a source of chaser video and for showing social media pic, but mostly he was in my background as the info I found here was faster and more accurate. Seemed Ryan had only one chaser on target, even Reed Timmer got misplaced this time which is rare for him so no big deal. I didn't see any of what's being commented on here but I would have once said it would be out of character for Ryan; I'm not sure about now. Ryan's closed streams are posted on his channel if someone care to hunt those down- me I don't care.

I don't know for sure what agreements were made but AFAIK Ryan did spring for 2 new cars "his" main 2 chasers to use, but those guys were chasing before Ryan made it big so they're probably no sharing rights to their work assigned to Ryan. It seems that Reed Timmer may have left there for similar reasons but again this is conjecture, not something I know. I do know that Ryan has 'missed' some tornadoes in outbreaks for being too tightly focused on one event or area. Kind of hard to cover several things at once when things change quickly- I don't know I could do any better myself.

What Ryan has done better than anyone else I know is to get huge masses of people interested in severe weather and taught them a lot about it using language average people can understand. He'[s raced past the other channels on YT doing essentially the same thing and Ryan is as right on his predictions as anyone else overall so he does a lot of good for the world whether you like him or not.

YMMV

buckeye05

Reaction score
It seems like Ryan Hall isn't the same after a few of the last 'livecasts' though I can't pin down exactly what or why. Might be overload or burnout. I had him on through today's storm mostly as a source of chaser video and for showing social media pic, but mostly he was in my background as the info I found here was faster and more accurate. Seemed Ryan had only one chaser on target, even Reed Timmer got misplaced this time which is rare for him so no big deal. I didn't see any of what's being commented on here but I would have once said it would be out of character for Ryan; I'm not sure about now. Ryan's closed streams are posted on his channel if someone care to hunt those down- me I don't care.

I don't know for sure what agreements were made but AFAIK Ryan did spring for 2 new cars "his" main 2 chasers to use, but those guys were chasing before Ryan made it big so they're probably no sharing rights to their work assigned to Ryan. It seems that Reed Timmer may have left there for similar reasons but again this is conjecture, not something I know. I do know that Ryan has 'missed' some tornadoes in outbreaks for being too tightly focused on one event or area. Kind of hard to cover several things at once when things change quickly- I don't know I could do any better myself.

What Ryan has done better than anyone else I know is to get huge masses of people interested in severe weather and taught them a lot about it using language average people can understand. He'[s raced past the other channels on YT doing essentially the same thing and Ryan is as right on his predictions as anyone else overall so he does a lot of good for the world whether you like him or not.

YMMV
Off topic but Reed has really lost his "touch". Notice how he has a ton of videos titled things like "Chasing TORNADIC supercells in Dixie Alley!" Why? Because he keeps missing tornadoes on major outbreak days!! I don't know if his judgement has gotten worse, its just bad luck, or he's become a more timid chaser, but the quality of his chasing videos has absolutely plunged. Besides his Andover video, he hasn't caught anything noteworthy in a couple of years. Essentially, a majority of his chase videos now just consist of like 7 minutes of dark clouds and him driving through rain, and then maybe 20 seconds of a distant, shaky view of a tornado off in the distance, or a power flash or two. Recently, he missed the Sulphur Springs, TX drill bit EF2 from last November because he was looking in the opposite direction and was filming the wrong part of the storm! I mean seriously???

I left a comment on a video asking why he doesn't get as much close range tornado video these days and he deleted it immediately. No idea what has happened.

buckeye05

Reaction score
So this is interesting. Today's EF1 tornado for Monroe County, MS is only the 7th one since 1904. The last January tornado in the county occurred in 2013. The strongest was an F3 back in 1932.
Might want to check your sources there. Smithville, MS was obliterated by an extremely violent EF5 in 2011, and that town is in Monroe County, so there's no way an F3 from 1932 was the strongest. I'm also extremely skeptical of there only being 7. That area has a lot of tornado activity.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Might want to check your sources there. Smithville, MS was obliterated by an extremely violent EF5 in 2011, and that town is in Monroe County, so there's no way an F3 from 1932 was the strongest. I'm also extremely skeptical of there only being 7. That area has a lot of tornado activity.
Might be the January statistics

JPWX

Reaction score
I meant in terms of January. I just looked at January.

Reaction score
Reed thrives in the Great Plains. In his defense, these Dixie Alley setups have been very tricky the last few years and have really been hard to forecast. Him and I have been on the same storms many times over the past few years. Everything about the storm will look perfect.....and it then it won't produce.

buckeye05

Reaction score
Reed thrives in the Great Plains. In his defense, these Dixie Alley setups have been very tricky the last few years and have really been hard to forecast. Him and I have been on the same storms many times over the past few years. Everything about the storm will look perfect.....and it then it won't produce.
I mean can you think of a Plains OR Dixie day in the past three years besides Andover that he's really gotten any top-notch video from besides Andover though? I honestly don't think I can. A vast majority of his tornado video posts in recent years are just re-uploads of videos taken prior to 2020. On his channel, you have to go back to the 2019 Lawrence/Linwood, KS EF4 to find any quality daytime tornado probe deployment/chase footage.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Can't help but wonder if a combination of chaser deaths - which we seem to be having more of lately even in standard traffic accidents - constantly totaling cars in hail with insurance probably breathing down his neck, his dog having health issues and perhaps getting older has tempered some of his wild streaks likely

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

YMMV
Not trying to derail this thread too much, but YouTube in general is pretty much unusable these days - looking for documentation of tornado events, recent or past, brings up mostly garbage in the search results now. It's one of the reasons why I've recently found myself relying on other websites more and more to find tornado footage, and obviously TalkWeather is my go to for following severe weather events in real time.

Tennie

Reaction score
I mean can you think of a Plains OR Dixie day in the past three years besides Andover that he's really gotten any top-notch video from besides Andover though? I honestly don't think I can. A vast majority of his tornado video posts in recent years are just re-uploads of videos taken prior to 2020. On his channel, you have to go back to the 2019 Lawrence/Linwood, KS EF4 to find any quality daytime tornado probe deployment/chase footage.

I've read his 2010 autobiography Into The Storm, and in several sections he describes his experiences with times of extended success and times of extended failure. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd be willing to bet that he's currently experiencing a slump.

Logo 468x120
Back