• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Rainbow formed in front of hail shaft along TN./ AL state line
325431491_556865182991335_7584697390282456157_n.jpg

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Gotta say the citizens of Alabama really payed attention and did the best they could. So far no deaths reported. I really think communication and awareness in Alabama has gotten better. Especially since the Lee county tornado that killed over 20 people.

It's always appalling to meteorologists and weather enthusiasts alike when there's any deaths. Really grateful for the TV meteorologists and what they do. And some of the things done and improved over years.

Today was a lot worse than it had any right being but if there's one shining light there's no deaths as of now.

Reaction score
This system had a very strong cold pool. I think that may have been one the driving forces behind some of the violent long track tornadoes we saw today. A lot of recent research suggests that the air in tornadoes primarily comes from the cold pool instead of the warm updraft. The warm updraft is mainly there to support the convection and vertical helicity.

Last edited:

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
This system had a very strong cold pool. I think that may have been one the driving forces behind some of the violent long track tornadoes we saw today.
Probably many little factors. I'm kindve upset with the SPCs choices of risk areas and such though, maybe it was hard to see maybe not. I had mentioned last night that maybe long track supercells need to be looked into and that the event might over perform just based off last night's data. It was clear at 12 hours out before this morning that there was more potential than what SPC said. It put many at risk. My niece and nephews school was barely missed north of Montgomery from that tornado from my guess lack of forewarning and communication of actual threat.

We where THAT close to another enterprise Alabama.

Reaction score
This event overperformed., but it seemed like the core of the severe weather was over the center of the enhanced risk. The enhanced risk should have been farther westward a bit.
Yes at least they did nail down the location. There was risk and it overperformed. We need to figure out why.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Huh? Those photos just show some tree damage and debris. There’s nothing in them indicative of any specific intensity, other than the fact that there isn’t any debarking.
Lol NWS uses tree damage as a indicator you can get a gist by a picture of the tree damage. Snapping of trees etc.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Yeah but that isn’t what EF4 tree damage looks like. Not even close.

The lack of debarking means EF3 would be as high as they could go.
I thought debarking happened at ef4. Hmm lol my bad.

Doesn't it rely on the different type of trees though as well?

Idk I'm kindve torn it depends on the trees google it cause I know I've seen ef3 damage that has not debarked trees

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Reason I say this is I've seen ef3 damage in center point Alabama back in January 2012 that trees where not debarked and winds reached 150 mph,

Even some ef4s from April 27th did not having debarking it's a untrue thing to say that it starts at ef3.

Back