• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat Jan 12th, 2023

Matt Grantham

Meteorologist
Reaction score
I honestly can't get over how much the Autauga County tornado looked like Henryville 2012. They were pretty much indistinguishable. Same color of clouds, same shape, same horizontal vortices, and even the same looking setting with hills and leafless trees. Truly a tornado twin.

Also did anyone see that brick daycare center that partially collapsed in Selma with 70 kids in it, yet they were all ok!? My god that is so scary. I shudder to think of how bad that could have been. What a nightmare.

The kids were originally sheltering in the hallway until someone called the daycare and told them the tornado was headed for them. Thankfully they were moved to the bathrooms and came away without a scratch. Otherwise there probably would have been injuries as debris fell into the hallway.

cincywx

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

in regards to the second photo …

it appears the slab belongs to this house.

1c6abd30c23f5027bd7b60352aeb110e.jpg

however, street view from 2020 shows no house here, indicating it is a new house. gotta wonder if newer structure = better construction.
6dbba865a9f76212389ab8bcf9175e1b.jpg

buckeye05

Reaction score
in regards to the second photo …

it appears the slab belongs to this house.

1c6abd30c23f5027bd7b60352aeb110e.jpg

however, street view from 2020 shows no house here, indicating it is a new house. gotta wonder if newer structure = better construction.
6dbba865a9f76212389ab8bcf9175e1b.jpg
Looks like it still may have been under construction though. I’ve seen considerable downgrades for that before.

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Looking at the pickup, it wasn't just rolled but was thrown onto it''s nose to have that kind of front end damage. The one flattened house certainly wasn't finished but the report says 2 homes were flattened and from the google view we can see the other homes there were occupied. One looks quite new to me (or might just had a new roof) so it was probably 'well built'. Everyone knows about 'hurricane clips' for roof attachment now so I'm sure it had those, but anchoring might have been substandard.

I've been busy and out of touch, but just saw where there were two low-end EF-1's locally from the storm as it came through upstate SC..

cyelle21

Reaction score
Would you know about what year those newer houses were built? I am a builder and that's my hobbyist field of tornado study. Also were they completely flattened, some interior walls standing, most exterior walls standing etc would be close enough to roughly determine what the rating might be.

Phil
Sorry for just responding to this, but cell service has been rather spotty around here...still no power. On

Not sure of year built, but one house, the brick walls were still standing...but roof was completely torn off. The other one was completely flattened.

cyelle21

Reaction score
Would you know about what year those newer houses were built? I am a builder and that's my hobbyist field of tornado study. Also were they completely flattened, some interior walls standing, most exterior walls standing etc would be close enough to roughly determine what the rating might be.

Phil
Here is an aerial view of one of the houses

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673697730496.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673697730496.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0

Sawmaster

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
The NWS has given this an EF-2 rating which concurs with the damage I can see in the pic.

How a building is constructed has a great bearing on how well it can withstand winds, and thus what rating can be deduced from the damage. Some things like anchor bolts and 'hurricane clips' for roof connection play a very large role here and are usually found only in homes built in the last decade or so. Most older homes from the 70's and back will have severe damage or be destroyed by a mid or high EF-2 mostly for a lack of those two items.

Phil

Reaction score
Any survey results on the tornado that passed near Five Points, AL just before crossing the state line? It was either the rope-out of the Autauga Co. beast or the last quick cycle from that cell before the new one formed just to the south and choked it off, quickly organizing and hitting the south side of La Grange, GA.

Attachments

• FFC_2014.png
    FFC_2014.png
    816.2 KB · Views: 0

Taylor Campbell

PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Any survey results on the tornado that passed near Five Points, AL just before crossing the state line? It was either the rope-out of the Autauga Co. beast or the last quick cycle from that cell before the new one formed just to the south and choked it off, quickly organizing and hitting the south side of La Grange, GA.
The survey report does not have it listed yet. But, I went through there on the way home from chasing and the tree damage was massive from what I could see at night. Several large thick pines snapped close at the base.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is where the fatalities were at?
I Think it is; not for sure though. the fatalities where in the Kingston community in autauga county where there was a lot of manufactured homes so it fits the bill.

Timhsv

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Autauga County sheriff David Hill confirms: • 6 fatalities in Autauga County • In the Kingston area, around County Road 40 and County Road 21
OK bwalk, so the video above from Brett Adair was the actual site , Kingstone area? County RD 40 and 21 are in that video above?

bwalk

Reaction score
Here is Victor Gensini's post-mortem discussion on the severity of Thursday's outbreak. He is a met professor at Northern Illinois University. Just his opinion, but he is a sharp guy.

What came together to make deadly Alabama tornado
A La Nina weather pattern, warm moist air coming from an unusually toasty Gulf of Mexico, likely juiced by climate change, and a decades long eastward shift of tornadoes came together to create the unusually early and deadly storm system that hit Alabama Thursday, meteorologists said.

And it may be the start of a bad tornado year, one expert worries.

Early signals, which could change, “indicate the overall pattern remains favorable for an above average tornadic year,” said Northern Illinois University meteorology professor Victor Gensini, who studies tornado patterns.

Gensini said his concern is mostly based on historic patterns and changes in atmospheric conditions that happen when a La Nina, which is a natural cooling of parts of the Pacific that changes weather worldwide, dissipates like it is forecast to do in a few months.

A NEEDED COMBINATION
For tornadoes to form, two big ingredients are needed that often aren’t at high enough levels at the same time: wet stormy instability and wind shear, which is a difference in wind speeds and directions at different altitudes.

At this time of year, “shear is a guarantee,” said Harold Brooks, a senior scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s National Severe Storms Laboratory. “What happens is when you get moisture you can have a (storm) system. That is the ingredient that is usually missing this time of year.”

The cold front was following a classic waviness in the jet stream — the atmospheric rivers that move weather systems — seen in La Nina winters, Gensini said. La Nina winters tend to produce more tornadoes and NOAA this week said preliminary numbers show 1,331 tornadoes in 2022, which was a La Nina year, 9% more than average.

“If you’re going to get tornadoes in January, this is the type of setup that’s going to produce them,” Gensini said.

Still without moisture there are no tornadoes.

WARM MOIST AIR
Measurements of moisture in the Alabama air were about twice as high as they should be this time of year and more like May in Tornado Alley, an area stretching from Texas to South Dakota known for being prone to twisters, Gensini said. That’s more than enough for a tornado.

The warm moist air is from the Gulf of Mexico and he said, “that’s a climate change signal.”

Gensini pointed to NOAA measurements of water temperature throughout the Gulf on a computer screen and said: “Look at that number. 70 (21 degrees Celsius). 70. 70. That is ridiculous. That’s way above average" for this time of year. That nearby warm water juiced up the air.

“This is very much a La Nina type of system that you’d expect but is being augmented by abnormally warm Gulf of Mexico sea surface temperatures,” Gensini said.

The warm humid air hits the cold front and goes up like a ramp and the mixing that creates tornadoes begin, Gensini said.

TORNADOES HITTING EAST
Over the past few decades, a new pattern of tornado activity has emerged.

There are fewer tornadoes in Tornado Alley and more of them east of the Mississippi River in the Southeast, a 2018 study by Gensini and Brooks found.

Tornado activity is increasing most in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and parts of Ohio and Michigan. The biggest drop in number of tornadoes is in Texas, but even with the decline, Texas still gets the most tornadoes of any state.

Gensini said his lab is working this summer to try to figure out why that is.

MORE VULNERABILITY
A nasty side effect of tornadoes moving further east is that they are moving from less populated areas to more crowded ones, Brooks and Gensini said.

In Tornado Alley, a tornado can go for miles and miles and not hit anything and anyone and thus not be an issue, Brooks said. But that’s not really the case in the East. People and buildings are in the way.

And the people in the way are more vulnerable.

“There’s more poverty in the Southeast, there’s a greater mobile home population” which is one of the most dangerous places to be in a tornado, Brooks said.

Also, because of storm tracks, or the routes storms follow due to wind and weather conditions, the further east tornadoes hit, the more likely they are to hit later in the day and even at night, when people are sleeping or not listening for warnings, Gensini said.

https://webcenters.netscape.compuserve.com/news/story/0001/20230113/fa13b8eb2d175bc33ef4b7009576cc5e

Back