• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - February 15-16, 2023

Tennie

Reaction score
Actually, looks like the capping is still holding out as those cells that crossed the LA/MS border earlier near Centreville/Woodville have yet to take off...in fact they look quite a bit weaker than about 45 minutes ago.

It's still early in the event though, and there have been signals that the most robust activity won't get going until later in the night.

Personally, I have no real intention to track overnight storms on nights before workdays (I prefer to stay on a relatively healthy sleep schedule, thank you very much!), so I'll probably call it a night regardless and check back here tomorrow morning.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Actually, looks like the capping is still holding out as those cells that crossed the LA/MS border earlier near Centreville/Woodville have yet to take off...in fact they look quite a bit weaker than about 45 minutes ago.

It's still early in the event though, and there have been signals that the most robust activity won't get going until later in the night.
Good point, I wonder why there's more showers/storms then. More forcing than modeled maybe?

Reaction score
Personally, I have no real intention to track overnight storms on nights before workdays (I prefer to stay on a relatively healthy sleep schedule, thank you very much!), so I'll probably call it a night regardless and check back here tomorrow morning.

Depending on where in TN you are, you will probably want to have a weather radio ready to go at your bedside tonight...although if you're on this forum, you probably don't need to be told that.

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer

Not sure that’s good think or bad thing be honest … good thing currently . But could get ugly quick later if or. When cap erides

Reaction score
0Z HRRR seems to show storms in the Mid-South struggling most of the night...could be a situation where the forcing in the open warm sector is just TOO subtle to overcome the capping in sustained fashion. Main show might be in eastern MS/middle TN/AL tomorrow afternoon. That said, if I lived in tonight's 10 hatch I would still have a weather radio and/or a fully charged cell phone capable of receiving WEAs at my bedside.

warneagle

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
0Z HRRR seems to show storms in the Mid-South struggling most of the night...could be a situation where the forcing in the open warm sector is just TOO subtle to overcome the capping in sustained fashion. Main show might be in eastern MS/middle TN/AL tomorrow afternoon. That said, if I lived in tonight's 10 hatch I would still have a weather radio and/or a fully charged cell phone capable of receiving WEAs at my bedside.
Yeah if we've learned anything about these nocturnal high shear/low CAPE events the last couple of years it's that it only takes one.

Reaction score
Yeah if we've learned anything about these nocturnal high shear/low CAPE events the last couple of years it's that it only takes one.

I dunno if I'd call it a high shear/low CAPE setup, though. The CAPE is gonna be there...in the 1-2,000 j/kg range. For a February setup, that's pretty impressive. The issue is the very subtle forcing with the main surface front being still way back to the west over OK/TX, the cooler air aloft with the upper trough also hanging back to the west, with the main height falls and strongest flow associated with the exit region of the trough off to the north. This is due in part to the positively tilted nature of the trough. The ingredients are all there, they're just a little bit disjointed at the moment. They may overlap to result in a significant outcome, or they may not.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (and watch Trey Greenwood's videos).