• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat - February 15-16, 2023

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Is a moderate update coming?
I'm not sure. The SPC has seemed relatively conservative on this event so far, and usually they don't upgrade at the 01:00 UTC outlook. However this may be the exception considering the main event is likely 03-08z in MS, TN, AR etc. Also there have been cases of NWS offices having influence in an outlook, so given the NWS MEG's latest discussion that could be something interesting. Yet the SPC categorical risk doesn't hugely matter away from a public messaging standpoint, we know strong-intense tornadoes are possible tonight - though if I had to guess I would say 70% no and 30% yes for a moderate.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Just peeking at the 21z hrrr the strom relative helicity is really high for central Alabama and north Alabama.. I got a bad gut feeling for Alabama tommorow. One thing that may help us out is convection initiating earlier in southeast missippi and possibly cutting off moisture some. But I don't think that'll happen at this point

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Peak heating over central Alabama with widespread 350-450 3km helicity. 71 degree critical angle? Getting close to being pretty stream wise. Nice enlarged hodograph. That's impressive.

This current sounding is elevated. But a pretty good environment tommorow. Don't think it represent the EML to well either. 2023021521_RAP_023_33.45,-87.24_severe_ml.png

Richardjacks

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Peak heating over central Alabama with widespread 350-450 3km helicity. Not sure how stream wise things are. 71 degree critical angle? Getting close to being pretty stream wise. Nice enlarged hodograph.

Ummm that cap...if that's right, it might hold for a while depending on amount of sun but could max the cape

Back