• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

Bevo

Reaction score
The cells firing early in Texas is surprising -- the vast majority of models were forecasting them popping off between 5 - 7 PM in that northwestern corridor. I'm not sure how much, if any, bearing it'll have on later convection especially with them so spread out, but it just goes to show how difficult today's forecast is and how weather can be so unpredictable. Great call for the SPC to expand the ENH much further south into central Texas.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
The cells firing early in Texas is surprising -- the vast majority of models were forecasting them popping off between 5 - 7 PM in that northwestern corridor. I'm not sure how much, if any, bearing it'll have on later convection especially with them so spread out, but it just goes to show how difficult today's forecast is and how weather can be so unpredictable. Great call for the SPC to expand the ENH much further south into central Texas.
What’s surprising is that none of the cams forecasted this in the first place, weak cap, forcing, and strong upper level jet stream gives no reason for storm initiation to be that delayed.

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Much easier to see on the hourly mesoscale analysis.

There’s a definite dry line bulge present in the tx panhandle, which is likely responsible for the cumulus field there.
1716665712488.png

Reaction score
Those in the know: why are CAMs showing left-splitters early on? Given the dynamics, why are hodographs relatively straight along the Red River at first? Wouldn’t the type of forcing favour more right-movers instead?

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Those in the know: why are CAMs showing left-splitters early on? Given the dynamics, why are hodographs relatively straight along the Red River at first? Wouldn’t the type of forcing favour more right-movers instead?
Holographs are straight at the red river because the LLJ doesn’t kick in until 7pm to curve them out.

Left splitters are common with pretty much every supercell regardless of dynamics in place.

Reaction score
I believe it's referencing the forecasted MCS late Sunday night into Monday morning. However, not all models are sold on the intensity of that portion of the event. If confidence were to increase, I wouldn't be surprised by a southward expansion of Slight Risk probs.
Gotcha. The wording would indicate that cellular development is possible ahead of the squall line, which I hadn’t seen in guidance when I was last at work.

Jpgood97

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Screen grabs

Attachments

• IMG_0878.png
    IMG_0878.png
    992.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0877.png
    IMG_0877.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0