• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/25-5/26, 2024

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
The 12z HRRR is showing southern OK and northern TX in the mid-upper 90s late this afternoon. To me, today's threat is leaning much towards a large hail and strong wind threat than tornado.

Reaction score
Wow…the problem in late may tampering a catastrophic outbreak…is “slow moisture advection”

Though it seems like morning observations may be contradicting that.

Reaction score
The 12z HRRR is showing southern OK and northern TX in the mid-upper 90s late this afternoon. To me, today's threat is leaning much towards a large hail and strong wind threat than tornado.
Can’t remember the last time an event bounced back and forth in 24 hours from violent outbreak to this.

I don’t envy the SPC desk today.

Todd

Reaction score
Most of the people where I live do not want severe weather tonight. We've already has three weak tornadoes in my immediate area this year, and not to mention May 22, 2011.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Have temps been uptrending? If both things are uptrending that could still throw a wrench in the setup.

wx_guy

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KO4ZGH
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
  2. ARRL Member
Have temps been uptrending? If both things are uptrending that could still throw a wrench in the setup.
The 6z HRRR yesterday morning had OKC at 86F at 22z today. Today's 12z HRRR has OKC at 91 at 22z. So that could be a big change potentially.

Reaction score
I Don’t buy the models I'm pretty sure moisture is coming in just fine…
Yes but it’s going to have to be that sweet spot to get the optimal LCLs/LFC. If temperatures get up into the high-80s/low-90s in the risk area, that’s going to require even more robust dew points to advect into the area. I believe the maximum TD spread is around 15 degrees, so at 89 degrees you’d need dews around 74-75.

Reaction score
...so moisture isn't a problem anymore?

Note those dewpoints are only in southeastern Oklahoma, and how much drier it is over western Oklahoma.

As @Fred Gossage said, for a higher-end tornado threat with a setup like this you'd like to see a sharp dryline with the richer moisture pulled right up to it; so any supercells that fire are in a primed environment right away, before they start generating cold pools.

Cold pool amalgamation, in part due to sub-optimal moisture at the time of initiation, and in part due to the way the storms moved and interacted, was a big factor that limited the tornado threat with the afternoon supercells in northern Oklahoma on May 6.

Logo 468x120
Back