• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

vanni9283

Reaction score
View attachment 27522View attachment 27523
Just a reminder than winds below that level not always, but at most time would be only stronger. And recent findings more and more suggest that the wind height defined in EF scale(10m) is more likely to be the level most tornado's winds peaks.
So it's possible that ground level winds could have exceeded 300 mph???

Maxis_s

Reaction score
Probably not immediately at the surface due to friction. My guess about that chart is that it increases as it goes down, then becomes much less strong in the lowest few meters due to friction. Either that or the EF scale's windspeed estimates are wrong.

vanni9283

Reaction score
Probably not immediately at the surface due to friction. My guess about that chart is that it increases as it goes down, then becomes much less strong in the lowest few meters due to friction. Either that or the EF scale's windspeed estimates are wrong.
I think the latter is true. I've gone on record saying that the estimated wind speeds on the current EF-scale are definitely too low.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I just realized a really interesting coincidence.
The Greensburg EF5 ended what was at the time the longest F5/EF5 drought, the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was in Moore.
The Greenfield tornado occurred on the day after the anniversary of the previous F5/EF5, which was also in Moore.
Both of these towns have "Green" at the start of the name.
And just like Greensburg, it was hit due to an occlusion...

pohnpei

Reaction score
For any level above 10m(which is the definition of EF scale winds), winds likely overall increased with height become lower. But it may not not continuely increase or begin to drop below 2-3m. But we don't have enough evidence to say anything for certain at this stage. The best case was Goshen Country WY tornado 2009 with DOW at close range and TIV since it. The wind TIV scanned at 3m level was slightly stronger than DOW's lowest level sacn which was around 30m.

TH2002

Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Damage in the first video is particularly impressive.

About 99% sure it's the property along Kent Avenue (coordinates: 41°15'49.04"N 94°30'28.48"W) right in the middle of where the CC drop 'peaked' (or bottomed out, technically) SW of Greenfield.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Was the tornado that caused major damage near Corning the same one that hit Greenfield?
There were two tornadoes near Corning, one being the Carbon tornado and the other being the Greenfield tornado in its earlier stages. So I guess the answer is... "yes"? The tornado that was closer to Corning was the Greenfield tornado though.

1716436307291.png

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
And also yes the Greenfield tornado was the one responsible for the death of that woman. Her car was tossed off of Highway 148 north of Corning and, well, we've seen the aftermath.

Reaction score
Back