• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!
Logo 468x120

Severe Weather Threat 5/19-5/22/2024

jiharris0220

Reaction score
Let's pump the brakes on the EF5 speculation. Like buckeye said, it's not even noon over there yet. NWS Des Moines utilizes one of the best storm survey teams in the country, so if there's EF5 damage, they'll find it.
It’s not going to be rated that anyways, even the contextuals other than completely debarked trees which aren’t rated that high I don’t see it happening.

But I feel like its highly likely it gets at least 180mph.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Normally I’d be skeptical of this claim, but I actually just heard the same thing from a NWS friend of mine. I wonder why this one in particular has them so impressed?

For the record I think this will be rated EF4, but we shall see.
Clearly the wx nerds have finally succeeded in bullying them into submission.

Maxis_s

Reaction score
I wonder why this one in particular has them so impressed?
Probably the amount of slabbed homes in such a concentrated path with a very fast forward speed, and that one house with the bent anchor bolts and ripped out washers. Contextuals are certainly weird, however. That one house with the ripped out washers had nearby trees completely intact, however other homes with only minor damage had nearby trees completely debarked.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Probably the amount of slabbed homes in such a concentrated path with a very fast forward speed, and that one house with the bent anchor bolts and ripped out washers. Contextuals are certainly weird, however. That one house with the ripped out washers had nearby trees completely intact, however other homes with only minor damage had nearby trees completely debarked.
It was quite a narrow tornado. I think we need to look at context a bit differently in this case.

locomusic01

Reaction score
Things get kinda weird like that sometimes with really narrow + intense tornadoes and/or subvortices. I remember the same kinda stuff in a few spots w/the Niles-Wheatland F5 (among others), where the contextual damage didn't necessarily look that extreme despite relatively well-built houses being totally obliterated.

Brice W

Reaction score
Oh goodness, as if we needed any more bad news. I fear the total death toll from this storm when it’s revealed.

Ugh, it was only a matter of time till we had a violent tornado do this to a chaser. Hopefully the people who chase these can look at this as a lesson, and be careful, this tornado was rain wrapped at times.

Back