• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 3/23-3/27 Weekend or Whatever

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FB Live video from near Dallas, TX of Golfball size hail -
Courtesy Jake Hudson

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
FB Live Video from N. of Dallas driving through hail storm - Courtesy Holly Wright

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Intense hail storm moving through areas North of Dallas. Listen to the hail hitting the roof of the car port. FB Live video courtesy of Other Red Photography.

Kory

Reaction score
Watch out later. We've got capping currently keeping any convection from going off, which will help build instability through the day. Very steep lapse rates per the JAN sounding (7.8 C/KM) are advecting into AL. When that cap breaks, we will likely have isolated supercells capable of producing some hail...potentially large.

ARCC

Reaction score
Watch out later. We've got capping currently keeping any convection from going off, which will help build instability through the day. Very steep lapse rates per the JAN sounding (7.8 C/KM) are advecting into AL. When that cap breaks, we will likely have isolated supercells capable of producing some hail...potentially large.

Some of the lapse rates in the NAM yesterday were insane at over 8.3.

That cold air aloft is very impressive.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
Any thoughts on any potential tornado threat? Seems very unlikely to me, but you guys know more than I do.

Bama Ravens

Reaction score
New Day 1 puts NW corner of Alabama in the enhanced risk.

AL_swody1.png

Reaction score
I would say the tornado threat is limited. Although, Northern Alabama will have decent low level/deep layer shear values that are supportive of isolated tornadoes. That is why most local NWS offices are mentioning the possibility.

Large hail and damaging winds are by far the more worrisome threats attm. Any sustained updraft will more than likely produce severe hail.

Last edited:
X

Xenesthis

I don't see this being a big event at all. As Kory said the low level winds are too weak! Watch out Thursday though!

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
ULM launching balloons this morning. I assume as part of the Vortex team.

15z sounding near Section, Al
C78AlqNVQAA4LgS.jpg

15z sounding from Tuscumbia, Al

C77_WOQXkAEAsGm.jpg

Kory

Reaction score
Dews are not mixing out much in West AL compared to MS. We're under a moist axis. Differential dews will likely serve as an initiation point.

Logo 468x120
Back