• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 3/23-3/27 Weekend or Whatever

Tyler Penland

Mountain Snow Miser
Staff member
Reaction score
Had marble sized hail up on Grandfather Mountain. Wasn't expecting anything severe up here today.

MattW

Reaction score
HAM Callsign
KG4GUF
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Probably unrelated, but does anyone know what that "plume" on FFC radar is coming toward Atlanta from the south? As of 18:18 local, the northern "boundary" is right at the south Buckhead are of Atlanta.

MichelleH

Reaction score
I'm not sure whether to check this event off has done where I am in north-central Alabama, or if I now need to shift to worrying about the line in southern Tennessee.

Jason Simpson said more storms are expected later tonight for North Alabama, so I'm wondering if it is the ones in Tennessee moving down.

Edit to add: yes, the storms in Tennessee are expected to move into north Alabama later tonight.

Last edited:

MikeP

Reaction score
Crazy wind gusts here is Crestwood (Birmingham). Anemometer grabbed 56 mph. Dime size hail for about 20 seconds. Storm moved through incredibly quick. Seriously about 2 minutes and it was out of here.....

KoD

Staff member
Sustaining Member
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
HRRR has that line trucking quite far into North and Central Alabama.
Looks pretty healthy, some decent embedded hail cores. Needless to say I'll be sleeping with the windows open tonight, prolific lightning producers.

Mike S

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PerryW Project Supporter
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I'm trying to understand why the watch wasn't extended. We have active warnings in the area.

Kory

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why the watch wasn't extended. We have active warnings in the area.
The SPC hasn't been stellar as of late. Took them forever to include AL in higher risk areas for severe after being very bullish on Saturday. Kind of a head scratcher.

Kory

Reaction score
They've allowed the watch to expire. What do you think about the severe/tornado chances with the line as it progresses south?
Yeah I think we should see that line maintain itself through midnight at least. It settles toward the I59/20 corridor weakening after midnight.

StormStalker

Staff member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Had a little hail right just now. Mostly pea sized looked like.

Back