• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER

Severe WX Severe Weather Threat 2/6/17-2/8/17

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would like to see what LA soundings were earlier!!

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Judging by maps, the massive Akers tornado is definitely separate from the also large New Orleans tornado from earlier, so that means we have had at least two large and potentially at least strong tornadoes today already. WOW.

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Judging by maps, the massive Akers tornado is definitely separate from the also large New Orleans tornado from earlier, so that means we have had at least two large and potentially at least strong tornadoes today already. WOW.

Wow!! I'm used to seeing videos of little skinny waterspouts in NOLA but not huge monster wedges!! This is mind blowing as well as the videos that are still coming out....and sadly so many populated areas!!

Kory

Reaction score
Just checking in with my parents. Still haven't heard from my mom who was working in downtown New Orleans, but they weren't directly affected (communication is sparse). My dad's work in New Orleans East was hit by the tornado. All of the vehicles in the parking lot are flipped. My parents house just has some minor wind damage in Metairie. It was likely RFD associated from the cell before it dropped a tornado in New Orleans East. What a day it has been for South Louisiana.

Lots of major damage reports coming in from in and around the Killian area and New Orleans East. NOPD requesting all hands on deck to deal with that damage.

WesL

"Bill, I'm talkin' imminent rueage"
Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
LIVE Mode For This Thread has been activated. On all platforms except the TW App and Tapatalk you can leave this page open and the screen will automatically update with new posts. This mode will expire once the time elapsed from the last message is 30 minutes.

I've included the live stream from WSFA in Montgomery for the moment. Will switch to Mobile later on which will require a page refresh.

Updated to WSFA <-1342
Removed WSFA <-- 1400

Last edited:

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
That horrible echo is all WWLTV. Sorry guys.

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Sorry for thread spam but you folks need to see this
C4FcFgAUkAAmi3b.jpg
C4FcK2kUEAAuSWP.jpg
C4FcQMfUYAAMYk4.jpg

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tornado Watch for southeast Louisiana extended until 5 p.m

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tor Warning for Montgomery Co, Alabama

(Pike Road and Southeastern Montgomery)

Reaction score
Sorry for thread spam but you folks need to see this
C4FcFgAUkAAmi3b.jpg
C4FcK2kUEAAuSWP.jpg
C4FcQMfUYAAMYk4.jpg

Very odd situation there. All of that radar imagery is highly suggestive that a strong tornado crossed the Biloxi State Wildlife Management Area. However, there was no tornado warning in effect, as the storm was expected to remain over water. Instead it was covered by special marine warnings for tornadic waterspouts.

That leaves a bit of a dilemma for the NWS in New Orleans. For climatological accuracy, it should be surveyed and rated. But how to survey an area with no roads? How to calculate the length of a path that spent most of its life over water, leaving no trace? Will they even bother to expend resources surveying it with all the tornadoes that DID do damage in populated areas?

* Probably the only time you will see an obvious debris ball that wasn't tornado warned, without it being a major failure/disaster.

WesL

Staff member
Administrator
Sustaining Member
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Just updated the stream to Montgomery. You will need to refresh the page to see it.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Very odd situation there. All of that radar imagery is highly suggestive that a strong tornado crossed the Biloxi State Wildlife Management Area. However, there was no tornado warning in effect, as the storm was expected to remain over water. Instead it was covered by special marine warnings for tornadic waterspouts.

That leaves a bit of a dilemma for the NWS in New Orleans. For climatological accuracy, it should be surveyed and rated. But how to survey an area with no roads? How to calculate the length of a path that spent most of its life over water, leaving no trace? Will they even bother to expend resources surveying it with all the tornadoes that DID do damage in populated areas?

* Probably the only time you will see an obvious debris ball that wasn't tornado warned, without it being a major failure/disaster.

I would guess they would probably do a fly over to survey the area it hit. Should be able to get a fairly accurate rating from that assuming it hit trees. Judging from the radar images the damage path over land probably won't be too hard to find.

Michael

Reaction score
Sorry guys I may of missed it in the post above.... how close was this to bourbon??

Nevermind, I see now it was east of that area. My goodness still a tragic situation. Prayers going up!

Last edited:

Equus

Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
I would certainly hope they at least document it. Was super strange to see such a signature on land without a warning but figured it was over somewhere unpopulated.

Kory

Reaction score
Sorry guys I may of missed it in the post above.... how close was this to bourbon??

Nevermind, I see now it was east of that area. My goodness still a tragic situation. Prayers going up!
The New Orleans storm hit relatively commercial and low income residential areas before shifting into the NASA industrial region in Michoud and then out to the marshes. Could've been a lot worse, but this was highly unusual for South Louisiana....

Last edited:

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Tor reportedly on the ground in Ms (Clarke and Jasper Co) south and west of MS

Lori

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Special Affiliations
  1. SKYWARN® Volunteer
Anybody use radarscope? Mine has been down the last 3 hours...even did the update on my iPad and it's still not working.
Mine has been working

Back