• Welcome to TalkWeather!
    We see you lurking around TalkWeather! Take the extra step and join us today to view attachments, see less ads and maybe even join the discussion.
    CLICK TO JOIN TALKWEATHER
  • April 2024 Weather Video of the Month
    Post your nominations now!

Severe Weather 2023

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Uncanny the position of the low lol. And intensity @ARCC does this remind you of the January 23rd 2012 event? Better climatology for higher cape too. Almost a spitting image just based off surface analysis. Worth giving a watch for this time period. sfc09Z.gifScreenshot_2023-02-20-09-37-46-35_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

UK_EF4

Reaction score
Just for fun!
GFS 12z brings a properly crazy setup into Dixie alley on the 2nd March... safely away in Fantasy Land where we don't have to worry about it, but would be pretty mad (and probably not fun) if it actually happened haha.

sfctd_b-imp.conus.png

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
Just for fun!
GFS 12z brings a properly crazy setup into Dixie alley on the 2nd March... safely away in Fantasy Land where we don't have to worry about it, but would be pretty mad (and probably not fun) if it actually happened haha.

sfctd_b-imp.conus.png
The pattern sure is active moving forward. Were gunna mess around and get a high instability and high shear event if this holds on pattern wise

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
prateptype_cat-imp.us_ov.png

I know, I know. Its out there, but geezz, if this comes close to verifying. What an outbreak wouldn't you say? a 978. Next 2-3 weeks look really active.
Lol there is ensemble support for a system to eject around that time frame.

These next two systems especially the day 7 time frame if a few factors line up could be a troublesome weather day.

UncleJuJu98

100,000th Post
Reaction score
GFS shows negligible instability with the 2/27 system (rather like this week's, although the overall pattern makes more sense than this coming Wednesday) but 3/2 is another story...still way out there, though.
I have a really hard time believing how low the instability is for the 27th. Maybe it stays like that but a very similar event back on January 23rd 2012 played off around 800-1100 j of cape. Trends will be important but a high theta e pool is sitting over the deep south.

Reaction score
I have a really hard time believing how low the instability is for the 27th. Maybe it stays like that but a very similar event back on January 23rd 2012 played off around 800-1100 j of cape. Trends will be important but a high theta e pool is sitting over the deep south.

Not explicitly shown on any current runs, but I'm hoping one of these comes far enough north that I can get in an early-season regional chase before the -NAO/SSW kicks in and I don't get above 50 degrees until the 4th week of April. I stayed home for what turned out to be Winterset day last year because I didn't believe that low 60s temps/mid-50s dews could get it done. Whoops.

Reaction score
Not explicitly shown on any current runs, but I'm hoping one of these comes far enough north that I can get in an early-season regional chase before the -NAO/SSW kicks in and I don't get above 50 degrees until the 4th week of April. I stayed home for what turned out to be Winterset day last year because I didn't believe that low 60s temps/mid-50s dews could get it done. Whoops.
The fact that the past couple of weeks failed to produce at least one significant event, notwithstanding a generally favourable NHEM pattern and background, does not bode well for future tornado outbreaks. (Note: “significant” does not denote a historic event, but at least one outbreak with a couple of intense tornado families. A lone supercell doesn’t make the cut.) I’m still seeing a lot of excessive amplification, blocking, and subtropical interference, rather than the classical low-amplitude, progressive, polar-dominant setup. One would think we were in warm neutral or +ENSO rather than a third-year Niña with a well-established -PDO. We’ll likely need to wait until late March or later for our first possible High Risk of tornadoes.

UK_EF4

Reaction score
The fact that the past couple of weeks failed to produce at least one significant event, notwithstanding a generally favourable NHEM pattern and background, does not bode well for future tornado outbreaks. (Note: “significant” does not denote a historic event, but at least one outbreak with a couple of intense tornado families. A lone supercell doesn’t make the cut.) I’m still seeing a lot of excessive amplification, blocking, and subtropical interference, rather than the classical low-amplitude, progressive, polar-dominant setup. One would think we were in warm neutral or +ENSO rather than a third-year Niña with a well-established -PDO. We’ll likely need to wait until late March or later for our first possible High Risk of tornadoes.
Long term drivers for increased tornado outbreaks are something I have nearly no knowledge in, but given this year so far what you are saying and have been saying definitely seems to have some merit or at least some sort of relevance. We have seen 2 or 3 initially significant events downtrend into what eventually were typical weaker tornado events, and hopefully this trend continues especially into April/May - it would be nice for the South to get a break from a big outbreak this year though nowadays they seem inevitable. Keep us updated.

andyhb

Meteorologist
Reaction score
Or this happens a lot and you're drawing way too much from this. Nah, that's never happened before...

Back